2015/2016 Club Car efi with Subaru engine

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Default 2015/2016 Club Car efi with Subaru engine

I am considering buying a new Club Car 4 seater with the new Subaru EFI engine. Can anyone who has it give me a review ? I saw a previous post asking the same but there was never a reply from anyone just general discussion. I am most concerned about noise compared to the older Club Cars and Yamaha and general feelings about the Club Car and particularly the Ride of their 4 seater. The one I rented seemed to ride smoother than the 4 seater Yamaha with upgraded springs. (That is with only 2 passengers aboard which will be the case for us most of the time) I think the 2 brands use different types of suspension. The 2 person Yamaha without the upgraded springs seem fine.

Last edited by HoosierPa; 01-08-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

My Yamaha 4 seater drives good. It is firm on the rear, but it feels a little sportier. Drive both for a distance over different road conditions.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Sage

I asked about this last summer when shopping for a gas cart. I ended up with a new Yamaha EFI and am happy with it. Engine is peppy, maintains 19-20 going uphill, still a bit noisier than I had hoped for, but, I did have electric for 9 years...so, anything would seem noisy. I test drove the club car EFI but felt it ran rougher and a bit noisier. A neighbor bought one and is not happy with it...it can barely go 20 on level ground and loses a lot of speed uphill. The dealer has been no help. To get any more power they would have to add high speed gears that would void the warranty.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Sage

I believe you will find that virtually all Yamaha gas carts sold in the last few years have high speed gears. Technically, I believe this voids the Yamaha factory warranty. I believe this means the warranty is really with the dealer. This has no real consequences unless you moved away from The Villages with your golf cart and then tried to make a warranty claim that was power train related. I am not concerned about that. I suspect the issue is the same with Club Cars, if modifications are made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I asked about this last summer when shopping for a gas cart. I ended up with a new Yamaha EFI and am happy with it. Engine is peppy, maintains 19-20 going uphill, still a bit noisier than I had hoped for, but, I did have electric for 9 years...so, anything would seem noisy. I test drove the club car EFI but felt it ran rougher and a bit noisier. A neighbor bought one and is not happy with it...it can barely go 20 on level ground and loses a lot of speed uphill. The dealer has been no help. To get any more power they would have to add high speed gears that would void the warranty.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Sage

My 2014 Yamaha gas cart came from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. It is noticeably quieter than the same cart from The Villages Golf Cart store. They put sound deadening material under the seat. I originally doubted how useful that would be but after riding in some friends' carts from The Village Golf Cart store, I am now a believer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Old 01-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

having a hard time finding anyone who can give testimony to the new Club Cars with Subaru engines. If there is anyone out there, let me know

Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default 2015/2016 Club Car efi with Subaru engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
My 2014 Yamaha gas cart came from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. It is noticeably quieter than the same cart from The Villages Golf Cart store. They put sound deadening material under the seat. I originally doubted how useful that would be but after riding in some friends' carts from The Village Golf Cart store, I am now a believer.

The Villages store is now installing sound deadening standard. In fact they are matching Carts and Clubs with new standard options except for the larger gauge wiring. They leave the stock wiring intact.

Last edited by RickeyD; 01-08-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
having a hard time finding anyone who can give testimony to the new Club Cars with Subaru engines. If there is anyone out there, let me know
I have a 2015 with the Subaru EFI engine. In my opinion, the engine itself is quite, or not very noisy, but the drivetrain is noisy. I also have external side mirrors and am surprised by the amount of wind noise they generate. I would like to see some sound deadening material added to the engine compartment.

Although I like my club car, I don't know if I would purchase another. I based part of my decision to purchase this cart because I also have an older Club Car DS that just "runs and runs" without any problems. Maybe it is just the dealer who built the cart, but there are a lot of little things I am not happy with.

Just to address a couple of the other comments, my Club Car carts does fine on hills and inclines. It will maintain a consistent 19.9 mph.... It has plenty of power.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I have a 2015 with the Subaru EFI engine. In my opinion, the engine itself is quite, or not very noisy, but the drivetrain is noisy. I also have external side mirrors and am surprised by the amount of wind noise they generate. I would like to see some sound deadening material added to the engine compartment.

Although I like my club car, I don't know if I would purchase another. I based part of my decision to purchase this cart because I also have an older Club Car DS that just "runs and runs" without any problems. Maybe it is just the dealer who built the cart, but there are a lot of little things I am not happy with.

Just to address a couple of the other comments, my Club Car carts does fine on hills and inclines. It will maintain a consistent 19.9 mph.... It has plenty of power.
Thanks so much for the feedback on your Club car with Subaru. May I ask what dealer built it ?

Old 01-09-2016, 05:25 AM

I bought a new 2015 in September, received it on 9/30/15. It was great with speed however had a horrible rattle and very noisy. Contacted the company, they sent out a technician (with no tools except a screw driver!) and determined there was a problem but it would need to go back to the shop. Also complained about a burning electrical smell. Towed to the shop, in about a week and came back with speed turned down to 19.2 as per warranty. The cart was doing in between 17-18, a real pain on the cart paths! The rattle was still there so back to the shop it went. After over a week &'with a loaner with no curtains, the frustration rose. Long story trying to make short, after multiple times and complaints, a new engine was put in the cart. Flash forward to Dec, the service manager & club car rep came out, determined the same problem with the new cart and it's being picked up on Tuesday. They are back to 'replacing parts' (which they did with the original engine). I'm not feeling confident that it will be running properly and not confident that it will be doing 19-20 when I get it back! I did ask about turning it into street legal (Mom lives at a senior apartment that I have to be on a street for less than half a block) but if they turn it into street legal, basically anything over 19.2mph), the warranty is void! IMHO, buy Yamaha. We also have a 2014 Yamaha and have never had any major problems with it! I will say I like the way the ClubCar rides better but that's about it. I could even handle the noise if the cart wasn't in the shop more than on the golf cart paths! Just praying that it doesn't come back turned down so it only goes 17-18. Tired of the rude people yelling at me and showing me their IQ with that one finger!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:

I agree with you about the engine being quiet but the drivetrain being noisy. I recently rented one of the new Subaru equipped Club Cars to play a round of golf at Palmer. I was impressed with how smooth and quiet the Subaru engine ran but very annoyed with the loud drive train.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:05 PM

I work at one of The Villages country clubs and use the new Club Car fuel injected carts. I suggest you wait a year before getting this cart. We have many issues with the fuel injection starting and or pausing to start! CC also had a major recall on clamps for fuel lines under gas tank. I believe Yamaha had similar issues with fuel injection the first year.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolman44 View Post
I work at one of The Villages country clubs and use the new Club Car fuel injected carts. I suggest you wait a year before getting this cart. We have many issues with the fuel injection starting and or pausing to start! CC also had a major recall on clamps for fuel lines under gas tank. I believe Yamaha had similar issues with fuel injection the first year.
When you say "pausing to start" do you mean when you depress the gas pedal the engine does not start and you kind of have to double pump it to start?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
When you say "pausing to start" do you mean when you depress the gas pedal the engine does not start and you kind of have to double pump it to start?
Yes, that's exactly what happens. My best estimate, probably 40% of time engines does not engage, and you must release gas pedal and try again. It's a very annoying problem.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolman44 View Post
Yes, that's exactly what happens. My best estimate, probably 40% of time engines does not engage, and you must release gas pedal and try again. It's a very annoying problem.
This could be dangerous in certain situations.
Closed Thread

Tags
club, seater, car, engine, yamaha, general, ride, efi, subaru, rented, cars, feelings, suspension, types, seat, yamahas, fine, older, upgraded, springs-, brands, smoother, review, previous, post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.