2018 quiet tech gas golf cart muffler

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2021, 05:30 PM
Default 2018 quiet tech gas golf cart muffler

My 2018 Gas Yamaha cart has lost power. I have been told it is because of a muffler problem that is passing trash into and clogging the spark arrestor. I have been told the dealer and/or the other repair people remove or poke a hole in the arrestor. Also been told the muffler needs to be replaced. Anyone have an experience with this?
Old 05-04-2021, 06:30 PM
Gold member

My 2017 had the same problem. It was covered under warranty and was told that they removed the spark arrester in the muffler. Have not had a problem since.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
My 2017 had the same problem. It was covered under warranty and was told that they removed the spark arrester in the muffler. Have not had a problem since.
Had the same power outage with a clogged spark arrester on an ATV. Removing it does the trick, but a backfire could throw a spark and start a brush fire. Shouldn’t be a problem with a golf cart in the Villages as the risk of a spark starting a fire is almost zero. If it was a risk, all the idiots that throw out cigarette butts would have already started multiple fires.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:54 AM

Have experienced this in both our '17 and our '20 (that has the redesigned exhaust system). The spark arrester on the end of the tailpipe becomes clogged with carbon deposits from the exhaust. If you remove the arrester the problem is solved but you increase the exhaust noise - especially in the newer redesigned system that discharges to the drivers side vs the back of the cart as older models do. Carts and Clubs solution was to clean the arrester and then poke some small holes through the steel wool like material to allow it to breathe more freely. Causes a very slight increase in exhaust noise but not nearly as much as removing the arrester.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:02 PM
Default Where did you get it fixed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
We have a 2018 sitting in the garage this weekend with what sounds like the same problem. It barely runs, just kept getting worse and worse. Had to have it picked up yesterday trying to make it home from Malory. We did not purchase this new and I don't think the dealer is "Authorized Yamaha dealer". According to many posts, good luck getting an authorized dealer to work on it if you didn't buy it from them. Live and Learn.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:08 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Any connection between this issue & NOT using Rec 90 gas??? I heard there was....wondering what is the real world reality.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:20 PM
Default Recreational gas reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Any connection between this issue & NOT using Rec 90 gas??? I heard there was....wondering what is the real world reality.
I have always used the recreational gas from Marathon but did not by the cart new. The emissions sticker on the cart says ok to use unleaded gas. I think the reasoning for the recreational gas is that it's doesn't have ethanol.

Is Non-Ethanol Gas Really Better For My Power Equipment – Bill's Outdoor Power

Old 06-03-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopjt View Post
Have experienced this in both our '17 and our '20 (that has the redesigned exhaust system). The spark arrester on the end of the tailpipe becomes clogged with carbon deposits from the exhaust. If you remove the arrester the problem is solved but you increase the exhaust noise - especially in the newer redesigned system that discharges to the drivers side vs the back of the cart as older models do. Carts and Clubs solution was to clean the arrester and then poke some small holes through the steel wool like material to allow it to breathe more freely. Causes a very slight increase in exhaust noise but not nearly as much as removing the arrester.
On our 2018 Quiet Tech cart:

Had "All About Carts" come take a look. I had removed the bottom pan and boot that covers the exhaust. I could see the mesh that makes up the arrestor was pretty carboned up. I had heard removing this would void what warranty I have left so I decided to see what they would do. He looked at it and took a drill and removed the mesh. I have not noticed much if any increase in exhaust noise. The earliest appointment I could have gotten from the Yamaha "authorized dealer" was September! I guess if I have future warranty issues I will be SOL. From the sound of it this should be a recall item from Yamaha or maybe a class action law suite to get them off their corporate duffs. Another notable mobile cart repair place told me they will void a warranty if you put on a belt that is not OEM.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparky arrestor plugged.jpg
Views:	2233
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	89714  

Old 06-03-2021, 06:57 AM

That spark arrestor looks like a terrible design, not a matter of if it will clog but when. We just ordered a reman Quietech, I'll be on guard for this to happen to it. Thanks for the pic!
Old 06-03-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
That spark arrestor looks like a terrible design, not a matter of if it will clog but when. We just ordered a reman Quietech, I'll be on guard for this to happen to it. Thanks for the pic!
Your welcome. Bad design was how the guy who drilled it out described it somewhat. The owner's manual which can be downloaded if you don't have it does show how to drop the pan and remove the boot that covers the tail pipe. It has to be done to drain the oil! I did it without raising the cart and could have drilled it out myself but I thought I'd wait for a "professional" . I am pretty sure the young man who did it was not an authorized Yamaha service person.

Last edited by TSO/ISPF; 06-03-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorainer1r View Post
My 2018 Gas Yamaha cart has lost power. I have been told it is because of a muffler problem that is passing trash into and clogging the spark arrestor. I have been told the dealer and/or the other repair people remove or poke a hole in the arrestor. Also been told the muffler needs to be replaced. Anyone have an experience with this?
h
Had same problem was a clogged spark arrestor thought I got bad gasoline at the time. Carts and Clubs came out two weeks later and said some of the packing comes lose and chokes out the motor. And charged me 35$
Old 06-03-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
On our 2018 Quiet Tech cart:

Had "All About Carts" come take a look. I had removed the bottom pan and boot that covers the exhaust. I could see the mesh that makes up the arrestor was pretty carboned up. I had heard removing this would void what warranty I have left so I decided to see what they would do. He looked at it and took a drill and removed the mesh. I have not noticed much if any increase in exhaust noise. The earliest appointment I could have gotten from the Yamaha "authorized dealer" was September! I guess if I have future warranty issues I will be SOL. From the sound of it this should be a recall item from Yamaha or maybe a class action law suite to get them off their corporate duffs. Another notable mobile cart repair place told me they will void a warranty if you put on a belt that is not OEM.
I called Yamaha corporate. They say it was ok to remove the spark arrestor.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
I called Yamaha corporate. They say it was ok to remove the spark arrestor.
Thanks, good to know if one of the local authorized dealers says warranty voided because of it. Hopefully we will not need to use the warranty

Old 06-03-2021, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned they don't have that problem with their electric golf cart
Old 06-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned they don't have that problem with their electric golf cart

Tags
told, muffler, arrestor, gas, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.