2018 Yamaha EFI Quiet Tec losing Acceleration

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2022, 12:03 PM
Gold member
Default 2018 Yamaha EFI Quiet Tec losing Acceleration

My cart is suddenly losing acceleration, so bad, that it can hardly make it up the incline coming out of a tunnel. I am having the same issue when traveling on MMP's that have any kind of an uphill portion.

Purchased from Carts and Clubs, who I have called and gotten a service app, but not for another week.

Wondering if any one might have any suggestions Thx

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 02-25-2022, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

I would start by checking the condition and tension of the drive belt.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:26 PM

Their is a cotton fabric spark arrested in the end of exhaust ,which comes out of bottom of engine, reach up in the exhaust and pull out that fabric!
Old 02-25-2022, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

Definitely the spark arrestor. On the 2018 it’s accessed through the bottom plate under the motor.
Old 02-25-2022, 01:20 PM
Default Sounds like the spark arrestor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
My cart is suddenly losing acceleration, so bad, that it can hardly make it up the incline coming out of a tunnel. I am having the same issue when traveling on MMP's that have any kind of an uphill portion.

Purchased from Carts and Clubs, who I have called and gotten a service app, but not for another week.

We had the same issue. Got so bad it would barely run and had to have the thing hauled home by Kartaide! You have to pull the bottom cover of which is 4 bolts. The exhaust pipe is covered by a rubber sleeve on the drivers side that comes through the plastic cover and has some tabs you have to pull aside to get the cover off. Once the cover is off you can slide the rubber boot off and see the exhaust pipe. We had someone who used a drill to remove the steel wool like substance that makes up the arrestor. Problem solved. It can be a DYI if your able.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparky arrestor plugged.jpg
Views:	4796
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	92771  

Always be humble and kind.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
We had the same issue. Got so bad it would barely run and had to have the thing hauled home by Kartaide! You have to pull the bottom cover of which is 4 bolts. The exhaust pipe is covered by a rubber sleeve on the drivers side that comes through the plastic cover and has some tabs you have to pull aside to get the cover off. Once the cover is off you can slide the rubber boot off and see the exhaust pipe. We had someone who used a drill to remove the steel wool like substance that makes up the arrestor. Problem solved. It can be a DYI if your able.
What Terry said. Perfect description.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:08 PM
Default I agree with the spark arrester

I just had my cart's yearly service done and the tech warned me about the arrestor might become a problem giving the cart poor performance and the "fix" was to remove it;
Old 02-25-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:

My 2018 Yamaha Drive2 gas cart had this symptom just before the secondary clutch failed. It was most noticeable when going up a steep incline. At first there wasn't much sound, but just before failure it started making occasional clunking sounds. I purchased it from Carts and Clubs, and the guy who picked it up said they had seen a number of carts with this issue. It was covered by warranty 3.3 years after I purchased it because it was part of the powertrain.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:34 PM
Default Also secondary clutch on mine

2014 cart had same problem struggling uphills 2-3 years ago.
Carts and Clubs replaced secondary clutch. Caught it before it let go completely.
It is located at the drive belt pulley that is towards the back of the cart. Took a few quick minutes to replace in my driveway. Was a couple of hundred bucks total back then.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
2014 cart had same problem struggling uphills 2-3 years ago.
Carts and Clubs replaced secondary clutch. Caught it before it let go completely.
It is located at the drive belt pulley that is towards the back of the cart. Took a few quick minutes to replace in my driveway. Was a couple of hundred bucks total back then.

If you put the cart in neutral by putting the shift lever between F and R and try to rev the engine it may help identify what the problem is. If it struggles to rev up, then probably the Spark Arrestor. You can tell it's in neutral because it will be very easy to push the cart forward or back.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:16 AM

The Villages replaced my muffler under warranty ‘no charge’ and fixed known issue. Same problem
Old 02-26-2022, 07:22 AM

Call Todd Casey he will fix it with no problem. He is excellent
Old 02-26-2022, 07:33 AM

Same thing happened to my 2018 cart. Villages mechanic said it was defective muffler installed in factory and they were replacing every one as 1st year service came up. No problems since.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Suggest calling Scott or Henry with your question:
Scott Jezowski
Titan Golf Cart South
352-348-7381
titangolfcartsouth@gmail.com

Or Henry The Golf Cart Guy
352-805-0450
Old 02-26-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:

What did other places who work on golf carts say when you called them?
Closed Thread

Tags
acceleration, losing, purchased, portion, uphill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.