2018 Yamaha EFI Quiet Tec losing Acceleration

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2022, 08:06 AM

I agree these things dont last forever.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:10 AM
Default Loosing Power

Just so happens it happened to me last week. Loosing power, then within a short period of time no power. Had it scheduled for service last Wednesday. Tried driving it from Hadley to Brownwood. I got to the Colony Rec Ctr. had to call Cart Aid. Thankfully I had that, it would've been $100 just for the tow. Anyway, They put the backing plates on which is why it was going in for service in the first place. $79 each. They go on the rear wheels I guess. They had been on back order, they claimed they had 150 scheduled to put on. Not sure what they do. But covered by warranty. And, they replaced the muffler. $279. Claimed it was totally clogged. The steel wool like material in the mufflers of the newer quiet tech engines becomes clogged. I know a number of people having the same issue. Not sure if the replacement muffler has the same spark arrestor. Sounds like a factory defect to me. The diagram that someone showed above, explains it.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
What did other places who work on golf carts say when you called them?
Probably asked why he was calling if he already had a service appointment scheduled with someone else.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-26-2022, 10:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Lots of good suggestions here! But personally I wouldn’t ask the dealer to do it because I’m sure they’ll tell you it’ll ruin the warranty. Do it yourself or have a friend do it or show you how to do it. I usually fixed my own cart & I never had the dealer tell me something was missing or messed with. I had a 2018 Yamaha cart but never had this issue with mine. Most of the things that are mentioned here you can look at them & see if that’s the problem. Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2022, 10:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Golf cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
My cart is suddenly losing acceleration, so bad, that it can hardly make it up the incline coming out of a tunnel. I am having the same issue when traveling on MMP's that have any kind of an uphill portion.

Purchased from Carts and Clubs, who I have called and gotten a service app, but not for another week.

Wondering if any one might have any suggestions Thx
If it is a quiet tech it's probably the spark arrestor plugged up. Mechanic from dealer removed the one on my 2019. It's not as quiet but has all it's power
Old 02-26-2022, 10:50 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to gooeyg

I had the same problem last year and the culprit was the secondary clutch. Had it replaced (under warranty).
Old 02-26-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
What Terry said. Perfect description.
I haven’t had this issue yet. However thanks to all for sharing the fix.👍🏻
Old 02-26-2022, 12:12 PM
Default Fair Way Golf Carts Mobile Service

We can come see you Monday afternoon....Ryan our lead technician has almost 10 years experience in the Villages 352-571-3100
Old 02-26-2022, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

It’s good that you have that service appointment. My understanding is that the Lithium Ion battery packs have a 10-year warranty. You could always rent a cart for a few days from the rental fleets at any of The Villages Golf Cart stores. The cost is quite reasonable.

If I misunderstood that you had a Li ion powered cart, disregard this message.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:28 PM
Default Yamaha cart

It could also be your battery. If your battery is weak, a gas Yamaha will not perform properly. It happened to me yesterday and I replaced my battery and it working fine now. The weather here is really tough on batteries. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:45 PM

Hi. Believe it is your secondary clutch. That is covered by Yamaha warranty for 4 years from date of purchase. If it is the clutch it will get worse over time.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:37 AM

Poor power and acceleration happened to me on my 2020 that I purchased new from Villages Golf Car in Brownwood.

Pulled up into the Brownwood location after a game of golf. Diagnosed the problem on the spot, and took it in for service immediately. Got a loaner at no charge, and continued home. Picked up the cart 3 days later.

The problem was due to decomposed material in the muffler. Warranty replaced with a new muffler at no charge to me.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 02-27-2022, 06:45 AM

Wonder if the 2020's have the same issue? My wife's cart suddenly started doing it too. Would barely move. Interestingly I had just put gas in it and that is when the problem started. I purchased some fuel additive to clean the injectors and it started to run ok. Maybe bad fuel or the same muffler issue??
Old 02-27-2022, 08:59 AM

Call Titan Golf Cart! 3523487381 - Scott - Did Great job. Took out the spark arrestor right in our driveway!
Old 02-27-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
My cart is suddenly losing acceleration, so bad, that it can hardly make it up the incline coming out of a tunnel. I am having the same issue when traveling on MMP's that have any kind of an uphill portion.

Purchased from Carts and Clubs, who I have called and gotten a service app, but not for another week.

Wondering if any one might have any suggestions Thx
It sounds to me like your muffer has stopped up. I had the same issue. Read your owners manual only unleaded fuel only. Thats what my 2017 manual said
Closed Thread

Tags
acceleration, losing, purchased, portion, uphill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.