2018 Yamaha Gas Noisy Starter Generator VBelt

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2023, 02:04 PM
Default 2018 Yamaha Gas Noisy Starter Generator VBelt

Looking for ideas and suggestions to stop the insane v-belt squealing! The cart starts out just fine when cold and gets noisier as it warms up. By the time I’m done with 18 holes it is much louder. Occurs at slower speeds, when slowing down or going up/down inclines. Full throttle on level ground is ok. Following are the things I have tried to remedy the situation. Some work better than others but only for a short period of time.
1) Adjust v-belt so play is approx. ½ inch in both directions.
2) Tighten the v-belt adjustment.
3) Loosen the v-belt adjustment.
4) Replace the v-belt with a new OEM replacement.
5) Use CRC Belt Conditioner (this works the best but not for long.)
6) Remove primary sleave assembly (clutch,) check for wear, reassemble and torque to spec (75 ft lbs.) The v-belt pully is part of the clutch assembly.
When I eyeball the primary sleave assembly v-belt pulley and the starter generator pulley I suspect they may be slightly out of alignment. There a small amount of wear on the new v-belt that might indicate this. When I grasp the primary sleave assembly v-belt pulley there is some of sideways (horizontal) movement. This is surprising to me but maybe just fine. Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

My 2020 Yamaha will make a squealing noise when it is cold outside. Quiets down after running awhile. My neighbors would like to know the fix for this.
Closed Thread

Tags
v-belt, assembly, pulley, primary, sleave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.