2022 Yamaha Gas Cart Slow Acceleration

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2022, 04:45 AM

Last year my spark arrestor got clogged up. A cart mechanic said I had to change the entire muffler assembly and that just changing the arrestor is not allowed, he could lose his license for doing that. He also said that it is not for wildfire prevention but part of the noise reduction features.
He said that if you remove the arrestor (noise suppressor) it reduces the back pressure and can cause damage to the motor over time.
Now I hear removing it is ok. I wish I could find the unbiased facts. Does anyone have them?
Old 08-31-2022, 07:53 AM

I removed the spark arrestor on my 2020 - I think it runs great. FYI - I initially pulled out the screen as I could not reach the arrestor's clamp with a wrench. The cart was certainly louder! I then drilled a small hole in the plastic to reach the arrestor's 6 mm clamp bolt to try re-screening the arrestor. Amazingly, the cart was noticeably quieter and now have just left the arrestor off.

So, since the arrestor is not a replaceable part - I'd recommend one only remove the arrestor (6 mm hex wrench) and not punch a hole in it (and for reasons I can't explain - the my cart is quieter with the arrestor removed rather punching a hole in the screen).
Old 08-31-2022, 01:34 PM

The spark arrestor is just a piece of steel wool or stainless steel wool that is there to make the exhaust quieter. It is a restriction to the exhaust. You can just pull it out with needle nose pliers. Your cart will run better but you will notice a slight bit more noise from the exhaust. My wife is very picky and the extra noise doesn't bother her.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
The spark arrestor is just a piece of steel wool or stainless steel wool that is there to make the exhaust quieter. It is a restriction to the exhaust. You can just pull it out with needle nose pliers. Your cart will run better but you will notice a slight bit more noise from the exhaust. My wife is very picky and the extra noise doesn't bother her.
A spark arrester is not there to make the exhaust quieter, although it might. It’s purpose is just what it’s name is.
Closed Thread

Tags
tech, gas, cart, acceleration, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.