Adding LED strip to golf cart wiring advice

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2020, 08:47 AM
Default Adding LED strip to golf cart wiring advice

I would like to add 2 LED strips to my golf cart. I removed the rear brake/ turn signal light housing, touched the red/black wire on the back of the light to the red/ black leads on the strip and it lit up. So the brake lights work. The 3rd wire, white must be the blinker. How can I wire this so the strip blinks when the turn signal is on?
Old 02-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

On my cart I simply paralleled it with the blinker lights. Ground side to ground and + side to the carts blinker wire (tapped at the light socket). You didn't say what kind of cart you had and mine is not a "standard/Yamaha" either but it's been working fine for 3 years that way. Sometimes you may get a "runaway flashing (VERY FAST)" and there is a fix for that but I didn't need it. My cart is electric and has 12V systemyet I understand some other electrics have 24 or 30V and need a stepdown transformer.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:08 AM

Thank you, and yes I have a Yamaha electric
Old 02-28-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbas View Post
I would like to add 2 LED strips to my golf cart. I removed the rear brake/ turn signal light housing, touched the red/black wire on the back of the light to the red/ black leads on the strip and it lit up. So the brake lights work. The 3rd wire, white must be the blinker. How can I wire this so the strip blinks when the turn signal is on?
I have done this in my cart and a few neighbors carts. As noted above, the LED strip should have 3 wires, Ground, RUNNING (this is on when your head lights are on), and BLINKER (aka your turn signal). Each of these should be paralleled with the associated wire on your tail light. Send me a PM if you need help, I am willing to help, and I am located south of 466a.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have done this in my cart and a few neighbors carts. As noted above, the LED strip should have 3 wires, Ground, RUNNING (this is on when your head lights are on), and BLINKER (aka your turn signal). Each of these should be paralleled with the associated wire on your tail light. Send me a PM if you need help, I am willing to help, and I am located south of 466a.
Unless they are just plain LEDs and only have 2 wires and are strictly single purpose. My rears are like you describe but are 2 color red & amber (and have a flipper so they flip colors) but fronts are just 2 wire. I believe The 3rd wire he is referring to may be on the lamp itself.
Closed Thread

Tags
wire, strip, cart, golf, brake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.