Additive for golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Imo gas is gas in the average cars for sale, my lawnmower engine in my golf cart runs just fine on any gas I buy reguardless of brands Or octane. Back in the old days when I had triple Duce GTX I looked for the highest octane gas I could find which was good old Ethel. When I wanted to really to fast I filled up with airplane gas. If you feel Shell or any other gas station gas don't have enough additives already? there are plenty for sale, kind like insurance, just in case?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Sage

I have a 2017 Yamaha QuieTech Golf Cart. I'm a seasonal resident.
When leaving for an extended period of time, I buy ethanol-free gas at Gordon's Garage at LSL.
I understand that the Shell stations do not have ethanol-free gas. I'm told if you buy Shell gas, you need a stabilizer.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:20 PM

The manual for my 2017 Yamaha indicates that the use of gas with up to 10% ethanol is OK. It does not recommend the ethanol free gasoline. Older carts might be different. If you begin to use gas with ethanol after using non ethanol gas for a while, the ethanol will dissolve the varnish buildup in the fuel system and clog your fuel filter. Ethanol can cause problems in fuel systems that were not designed to tolerate it. I only use the fuel additive if we are going to be gone for an extended period when the cart will not be used.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,050 Times in 2,740 Posts

If you are a year round resident and use your cart almost daily then you do not need an additive with ethanol gas. Ethanol only causes problems if your vehicle sits for extended periods of time without use. Our cars are a perfect example. We use ethanol in our cars without an additive and it is not an issue since we usually use them frequently. If you are a seasonal resident, or your cart sits without being used for long periods of time, it is best to use the ethanol free gas from the Villages Golf Cart pumps. If you are seasonal and you choose to use gas with ethanol then an additive is a must. The best options for additives are the marine grade Sta-Bil already mentioned in this thread, but the absolute best additive is called Star*Tron. It really is not necessary to use an octane higher than 87 for a golf cart engine, but if you drive a BMW, Mercedes, or other car with a high performance engine then a higher octane is required. Personally, we are part time residents and use nothing but the ethanol free gas in our golf carts. We also own a BMW that we leave at our Villages home and we use high quality 93 octane gas in the car and add Star*Tron to the fuel when we plan to not use the car for a couple of months. Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:15 AM

I have a 2014 Yamaha EFI PTV. I follow Yamaha’s recommendation on what type of gas/grade to use.
“Recommended fuel: Unleaded gasoline
Gasoline-based fuels containing more than 10% ethanol are not recommended.”
No problems.

https://www.viewmastercms.com/assets...4YDRAPTVOM.pdf
Old 06-30-2018, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Have had two carts Yamaha and EZGO for 5 yrs. Always regular gas (87) no additives. No problems at all with operations of the engines.

Many threads available here on the subject. MHO -additives are (almost always) a waste of time that only benefit those who manufacture and sell them. Read your user manual.
I always listen to you.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Sta-bil is for any engine that uses 10% ethanol gas and has to sit for any extended period of time. 0% ethanol gas is great for those things like lawn mowers, chain saws, edgers, generators, and yes, golf carts. It does not attack gaskets, it does not turn thick and gummy when the engine is not run for several months and it burns clean. I try to use the ethanol free in any small engine that is not used on a regular basis. Golf cart doesn't matter much as it's used a lot. But for those snowbirds who let their cart sit for 6 months then use ethanol free or add Sta-bil to a tank or two before leaving. Doesn't do any good to add Sta-bil to the tank the morning you are taking off to head North as it will just sit in the tank. You need it throughout the fuel system to work properly.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:24 AM

Marvel mistery oil
Old 06-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac View Post
Marvel mistery oil

Marvel Mystery Oil - Wikipedia
Old 06-30-2018, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

Check your owners manual
Old 06-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonavy View Post
I have a 2017 gas golf carts...I was told by Ocala golf carts that if I gas at shell gas station I have to add an additive to the gas. When I inquired at the village golf gas station...they said, an additive will only gum up the engine. So my questions...one, is the village golf gas station correct? If not, what additive should be used?
Thank you for your wisdom.
Funny you should ask. I was leafing through my owner manual (Yamaha). It said “unleaded gas.”
Old 06-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Funny you should ask. I was leafing through my owner manual (Yamaha). It said “unleaded gas.”
Leaded gas has been illegal to sell since 1996. Many get unleaded mixed up with non ethanol, two very different things.

Tags
gas, golf, additive, station, village

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.