Advice needed on renting golf car

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Advice needed on renting golf car

When my wife and I finally retire and move to the house we've bought in The Villages, we're probably going to get a golf car (she' not so sure, coming from a hospital trauma background, she's not hot on a vehicle with no airbags and other safety gear). We're pretty ignorant on them and don't want to leap into buying one. We figured we'd rent for a month or two to see if we like them and to take our time learning the positives and negatives of them.

It seems like I've read somewhere in TOTV that rental golf cars are slowww.... I'm not looking to exceed the golf car speed limit (which is what? 22 mph?), but I don't want to cause traffic jams everywhere I go. Is that perception correct or is it just that rental cars have governors to limit them to the legal speed limit and those passing are just ignoring the speed limit?

Can you rent a golf car with seat belts? My wife probably won't get into one without seat belts (she's dealt with too many patients with traumatic brain injuries that could have been avoided).

Are there any particular golf car rental places that people recommend? We've seen one at Lake Sumter but I'm sure there are others.

Are all rental golf cars electric? Or are they all gas? Or a mixture. We'd probably like to try each. I know this is somewhat of a religious topic so I won't ask for advice here on which is better.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Default Advice needed on renting golf car

Call Grandma & Grandpas. His carts are excellent & do not go slow. I do not know if he has electric we normally rent gas when we are down. His # is 352-552-8478. We rent until we come down full time. IMO he is the best out there. I have used 1 other recommended by people on TOTV & was not happy with him. Scott is reliable, prompt & quick getting back to you.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Gold member

I rent from Don Cunningham of RentMe Carts when I'm in TV. He has good gas and electric carts and will go out of his way to help you. He is a TOTV sponsor and you can also see his carts on Facebook.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Do not rent from The Villages Golf Carts in the town squares. Those are set for 14.5 mph. Those are the slowwwwwww carts. I recommend JJ Enterprises but they don't have electric carts or seat belts, I think. You could call them to double check 317-679-1915. I pretty sure Don Cunningham's have belts. So, I'd probably check them our first.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I rent from Don Cunningham of RentMe Carts when I'm in TV. He has good gas and electric carts and will go out of his way to help you. He is a TOTV sponsor and you can also see his carts on Facebook.
When the kids and grand-kids visited we rented from Don also. His carts have mirrors and seat belts and do the cart speed limit (20MPH). He has both gas and electric. We own two electric carts but rented gas for the kids......which reinforced why we have electric.....

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Do not rent from The Villages Golf Carts in the town squares. Those are set for 14.5 mph. Those are the slowwwwwww carts.
This is incorrect as the rental carts are being or have been already retrofitted to go 20 MPH now. I rent an additional cart from them often when we have visitors and know this for a fact. This has been the case for at least a year now. Just ask for one that has been updated to be sure.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
When the kids and grand-kids visited we rented from Don also. His carts have mirrors and seat belts and do the cart speed limit (20MPH). He has both gas and electric. We own two electric carts but rented gas for the kids......which reinforced why we have electric.....
Don goes out of his way for his customers. Last year, I needed a 4 seater cart as I was traveling with my then 90 year old mother and 86 year old aunt. Don's 4 seater forward seating cart was already booked so we got a 4 seater with the back seat facing backwards. He brought the forward seating cart to the villa as soon as it became available and switched the carts at no extra charge. He was worried about Mom riding in the back seat! I'll be renting from Don until I get my own cart!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
This is incorrect as the rental carts are being or have been already retrofitted to go 20 MPH now. I rent an additional cart from them often when we have visitors and know this for a fact. This has been the case for at least a year now. Just ask for one that has been updated to be sure.
Yes. We just got a loaner from them and I was surprised at how fast it went...expecting the same old slow one. They have been modified to the standard.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:56 PM

Is it true that you can't get any insurance coverage when you drive a golf cart rental?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:43 PM

We just moved into TV last week and would like to know how much does it cost to rent a golf car?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbussche View Post
We just moved into TV last week and would like to know how much does it cost to rent a golf car?
We just rented a four passenger last week for $105 from Grandpa and Grandmas Village buggies! I think the price is seasonal.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Veteran member

True, no insurance on a rental
Old 08-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
True, no insurance on a rental
You should check with your personal insurance carrier but I doubt if you will be covered.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-08-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
What she said! He had THE best customer service. We will always call Don when we need a cart! My son and his family arrive today for a visit, so..Don is actually delivering one to us this morning!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
I also agree with KeepingItReal. I rented three golf carts from the Villages Yamaha dealer and checked the speed with my GPS and all three had top speeds from 18.5 to 20.5.

Years earlier when we were on the Lifestyle preview program, the golfcart that was included was a little pokie. Seemed like everyone, even joggers could pass us art will. (no disrespect to joggers, just an attempt at humor).

Tags
golf, car, rental, limit, cars, speed, rent, advice, belts, seat, shes, wife, lake, topic, correct, sumter, religious, recommend, legal, governors, helpful, replies, advance, ignoring, passing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.