Any new wisdom on lithium batteries

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2019, 06:55 PM
Default Any new wisdom on lithium batteries

Due to family peace I bought a used 48 volt golf cart my choice would have been gas. So my question is are lithium batteries a viable alternative to lead acid ones.Does any one see after market lithium batteries comin* down in price
Old 10-25-2019, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

All kinds of new battery systems are being developed. However, when they will be available is another question.

Aluminum Batteries | Battery Future | Lithium-Ion Replacements
Old 10-26-2019, 09:15 AM

Why would you need them? I've had 48 Club Cars since 2007. Never once ran out of range. They are quiet and dependable (but slow).
Old 10-26-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

New electric cart has maintenance free batteries (sealed) so no filling or leaking. When I asked about life they said no longer than the standard batteries but more expensive, just less maintenance. Range never a problem unless I run at high speed for a long time (more draw). 20MPH gets me 55+ miles, 25MPH still TBD but less. We talked about lithium and the marketing life of 10 years.....yet the LIMITED warranty is 3 years....hmmmm. Their advice, always read the fine print.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-03-2019, 05:26 PM

JoMar. Let us know the range at 25 mph when u have a chance. Thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

My experience is I loved electric carts. Smooth no smell and less initial expense. I also thought less moving parts less to go wrong. But I found that to be fallacy. Too many gimmicks like regenerative and high speed controllers, etc. But as TV grew larger the range became a problem. Yes you will be quoted some very favorable mileage per charge numbers but they are usually at peak new battery life. As each day goes by the batteries degrade and the range decreases. I need to travel the bridge daily to the historic side. That will drain the old batteries in a heartbeat. But let's do this - if you are settled in and know your daily routine which will be a round of golf and trip to the local square electric is for you. If you are a newbie and a round of golf plus undetermined which square tonight plus where are the new friends having tonights get together you should steer towards Yamaha gas. They got the market cornered. Lithium batteries are still in the experimental stage and very expensive. I doubt you will beat the return on investment value before an unexplained issue arrives.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
My experience is I loved electric carts. Smooth no smell and less initial expense. I also thought less moving parts less to go wrong. But I found that to be fallacy. Too many gimmicks like regenerative and high speed controllers, etc. But as TV grew larger the range became a problem. Yes you will be quoted some very favorable mileage per charge numbers but they are usually at peak new battery life. As each day goes by the batteries degrade and the range decreases. I need to travel the bridge daily to the historic side. That will drain the old batteries in a heartbeat. But let's do this - if you are settled in and know your daily routine which will be a round of golf and trip to the local square electric is for you. If you are a newbie and a round of golf plus undetermined which square tonight plus where are the new friends having tonights get together you should steer towards Yamaha gas. They got the market cornered. Lithium batteries are still in the experimental stage and very expensive. I doubt you will beat the return on investment value before an unexplained issue arrives.
They have the market corned due to range phobia which they promote and you among others have bought into. We have had two electrics for the last 5 years.....changed batteries once. My cart had 12000+ miles when I traded it in for another electric and my wife's cart is approaching 14K and has no desire to trade (unless she gets cart envy). We only use the car when weather sucks or we leave the bubble. The advantage is where we live, about halfway, so going to the Historic Side or to Fenney will not be an issue, maybe going from Fenney to the Historic side and back but can't imagine ever doing that (although I will probably do it once or twice to find out). Electric carts were, at a time long long ago (in Villages years) a pain and unreliable. But the engine technology and battery technology have pretty much changed the equation. With electric you can also listen to music without playing it a volume that everyone around you can hear. Instead of asking why not electric, take the time to learn why electric

Old 12-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

The new Yamaha Quietech are much quieter than our previous Yamaha and we have detected NO odors for the EFI engine, plus our range is arounf 200 plus miles.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:23 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The new Yamaha Quietech are much quieter than our previous Yamaha and we have detected NO odors for the EFI engine, plus our range is arounf 200 plus miles.
Ride behind it in a tunnel and tell me there is no odor.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Some have no smell. I'm not so lucky.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Gold member

I do agree that the new Yamaha gas is the best gas cart, but I will still wait for something better. I live on a street where the golf carts go by at full speed and let me tell you, none of them are quiet or stink free. I have a 08 elect Club Car that still goes everywhere I want.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts
Default New gas carts

Quote:
Hard to beat the new gas carts. 👍
Old 12-14-2019, 10:41 AM

I have a 06 CC Precedent and a 2016 Ezgo RXV both converted to 90AH lithium packs. The Precedent gets 40+ miles and the RXV gets 50+. I could almost drive from the Historic side to Brownwood and back twice on my RXV. Prices are dropping quickly as more companies are getting onboard with golf cart conversions. I'm personally not a fan of the "drop in" lithium batteries that replace your existing batteries. There's just to many compromises in making the batteries fit the holes. If you are considering a replacement check out Rowpow S51105 they're new to the US market but build a purpose designed pack.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
But you have never driven 200 miles......

Old 12-15-2019, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
I have a 06 CC Precedent and a 2016 Ezgo RXV both converted to 90AH lithium packs. The Precedent gets 40+ miles and the RXV gets 50+. I could almost drive from the Historic side to Brownwood and back twice on my RXV. Prices are dropping quickly as more companies are getting onboard with golf cart conversions. I'm personally not a fan of the "drop in" lithium batteries that replace your existing batteries. There's just to many compromises in making the batteries fit the holes. If you are considering a replacement check out Rowpow S51105 they're new to the US market but build a purpose designed pack.
I think this is the most informative post here. Everyone saying they are so expensive(Lithium). Well - go on the EZGO site and price a new one, with all the stuff you need for TV (Top, windshield, etc). The price is $11,300. Add the fabric sides and your are at $12,000. This is less than a comparable Yamaha Quiet Tech. We have gas carts, but in a few years, half the place will be driving Lithium.... I have no doubt.
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

Tags
batteries, lithium, alternative, viable, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.