Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Backfireing Golf Cart (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/backfireing-golf-cart-301073/)

KennyP 12-24-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1704292)
:ho: I find it hard to believe that a missing piece of heat resistant rubber hose would cause a backfire. Maybe :shrug:

I thought the exact same thing. I doubt that was the issue as that is an add on piece

ronjon309 12-24-2019 02:15 PM

There is most likely a problem with the throttle plate on the carburetor. It is not closing all the way when your foot is off the pedal because the throttle linkage is out of adjustment or the spring which holds the throttle plate closed is either weak, broken or missing entirely. You can check this yourself. With your cart in neutral or the rear wheels off the ground, slowly depress the pedal with your hand while watching the throttle plate shaft. The starter motor should start before you see any movement in the throttle plate shaft. If the throttle plate starts to open before the starter motor starts you have found your problem and you need to loosen your throttle linkage or replace the weak or missing spring. I had the same issue with an older (1987) EZGo. Replaced the spring with a couple of ball point pen springs meshed together. Problem fixed!

Bonsai Golfer 12-24-2019 02:37 PM

Lots of suggestion here and any of them might be the problem. I can tell you I had an older cart that backfired all the time and despite having it serviced several times the problem persisted. I eventually had the carburetor replaced and that solved the problem. Good luck.

ronjon309 12-24-2019 03:35 PM

Another problem could be a sticky intake or exhaust value in a 4 stroke engine. However if it runs ok when your driving, that would be unlikely. Definately not an exhaust pipe or muffler problem. You could replace the whole carburetor for $$ but it may just need a simple adjustment or spring replacement. Definitely wouldn't take it back to the guy you had it to six times! I've used Todd Casey golf Cart Repairs with good results. (352) 466-3934.

KennyP 12-24-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonsai Golfer (Post 1704555)
Lots of suggestion here and any of them might be the problem. I can tell you I had an older cart that backfired all the time and despite having it serviced several times the problem persisted. I eventually had the carburetor replaced and that solved the problem. Good luck.

A very good golf car mechanic would have been able to fix it without changing the carburetor. Its very rare to ever have to change a carburetor or fuel pump on these things. Someone says you need a new carburetor- get a second opinion.

ronjon309 12-24-2019 03:48 PM

Good advice!

genobambino 12-24-2019 04:33 PM

How fast is it going, when people monkey around with the governor trying to get them to go fast they will backfire. Also they will burn the valves up in them, just ask a golf cart mechanic.

KennyP 12-24-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genobambino (Post 1704586)
How fast is it going, when people monkey around with the governor trying to get them to go fast they will backfire. Also they will burn the valves up in them, just ask a golf cart mechanic.

Hopefully you didn't hear that from a golf cart mechanic, the valves are not going to burn up from a backfire.

bob47 12-24-2019 09:56 PM

I agree with all the posts that say you need a throttle adjustment. Unburned fuel is getting into the exhaust, which is happening because the throttle plate is not closing completely when you release the accelerator pedal. On my Yamaha at least, releasing the accelerator pedal shuts off the spark.

ronjon309 12-25-2019 01:11 AM

I'm going to assume that the backfiring is happening when you initially step on the pedal and not when you are running at speed. Again, this occurs when the throttle plate is not closing properly, or opening too early. Someone mentioned that the governor may have been adjusted too far. When that happens it allows the engine to over rev leading to a condition called "valve float". The engine is rotating so fast the valves can't keep up and this will cause some popping/backfiring as the valve timing begins to breakdown, but this occurs at top speed. Its also very hard on the engine and will eventually lead to early failure.