batteries

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Veteran member
Default batteries

If you never heard of a desulfator for your batteries check them out will make batteries kast twice as long and the power will be better and charging time is shorter they work great
Old 04-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

yes they may kast twice as long but what does that do for me...
Old 04-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

Well sorry about the typo. But if you drive electric it will save you upwards of a 1000.00 No I don't sell these so I'm not advertising.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Bls-48-b

Looks like cost would be $140 for a 48 volt system. Looks interesting.

https://www.battery-rechargeable-cha...saver/bls-48b/
Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

ddoug, can you provide a link to a third party that has tested this type of system? snake oil salesmen have been around forever and there has never been a lack of people willing to pay for nothing, that's why they have been around so long. for you gas cart owners you can also go online and buy a gadget that you hook around your fuel line and triple your gas mileage....gn
Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Default with all do respect

Negitive atitude will never encourage progess. But the military uses them to increase the life of batteries.You can google desulfators amd research them. Some battery chargers have them built in.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Sage
Default Seems the jury is still out..

I had not looked around on this subject for a while. There is no question that sulfates in batteries is bad, so in theory these things should help, but to what degree versus cost is issue for me. A neighbor installed one of these and came away with very little data. In the end his perception was it did not help, but that is strictly opinion. To me, if someone tries this they must collect some data to measure results. I have yet to find that anywhere. $140 is not short money in relation to $625 batteries depending on results.

Here is a link for your reading pleasure:

http://leadacidbatterydesulfation.yuku.com/directory

A thread where some data was collected here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...t-fiction.html

If someone goes this way it would be great to document details,e.g., battery voltages at various states of discharge, etc and share.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Default Batteries

On the subject of batteries, I now own my first electric car whcih I bought used. Can anyone tell me if I am suppose to charge it after each use even if I have only driven it 10 miles during the day. I keep getting different answers from people. I also read something about discharging 50% but ok at 80%...what does this all mean?? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsaler View Post
On the subject of batteries, I now own my first electric car whcih I bought used. Can anyone tell me if I am suppose to charge it after each use even if I have only driven it 10 miles during the day. I keep getting different answers from people. I also read something about discharging 50% but ok at 80%...what does this all mean?? Thanks!
Driving it 10 miles is a definite charge. In general you can plug in a modern charger after any use. It is not good for batteries to remain in a discharged state. That said, I personally do not charge if I have used less than 10 minutes... An example if running to the post office which round trip is less than 5 minutes pedal time.

State of Charge (SOC) of a pack are the 50/80% numbers you are referring to. This is important to the life of your pack. Take some time and review the Trojan battery site. http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Su...intenance.aspx

Read the pages on Testing and Discharging....

Batteries only have a certain number of cycles in the lives. A cycle is a discharge, then full recharge. The deeper you discharge you batteries with each use, the shorter the life. I try never discharge my 48v pack to less than 48.4 (50% SOC) volts. For me that is 26 miles in one cart and 44+ miles in the other. Here are some examples, percent discharged -- number of cycles

Discharge 80% -- 500-600 cycles
Discharge 40% -- 1400 cycles
Discharge 10% -- 5000 cycles

Here is the meter that came with my carts. The SOC of the pack can be evaluated after a ride by allowing the cart to sit for a few minutes and then look at this meter. From my playing around it seems to me that the pack is discharged as far as I ever want to (50%) when the needle is on the line where the F is. The picture below is of a fully charged 48V pack at 51 volts.

The Villages Florida

good luck...

Last edited by ajbrown; 04-25-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Default Batteries

Wow...thank you for the great info...I will check that website out but you have helped me tremendoulsy!!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Veteran member
Default batteries

Put the desulfator on my cart 2 weeks ago. This one is auto on and off.There is a led light on it that means the charger is on. When I started the light would go off an hour after I took the charger off when fully charged. Now the light stays on till the next day meaning the voltage is higher for a longer period of time. The other day I drove the cart about 2 miles the indicator for the battery condition did drop a small amount but when I checked later the indicator was back to full charge. Keep in minder the battery charger was desconnected. Cart is much more responsive than before. Have not had to add water to batts. Time will tell about longer life of batteries. O and yes the charging time is decreasing I check distance and volts before charging.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
Put the desulfator on my cart 2 weeks ago. This one is auto on and off.There is a led light on it that means the charger is on. When I started the light would go off an hour after I took the charger off when fully charged. Now the light stays on till the next day meaning the voltage is higher for a longer period of time. The other day I drove the cart about 2 miles the indicator for the battery condition did drop a small amount but when I checked later the indicator was back to full charge. Keep in minder the battery charger was desconnected. Cart is much more responsive than before. Have not had to add water to batts. Time will tell about longer life of batteries. O and yes the charging time is decreasing I check distance and volts before charging.
Which product are you trying? I have some 3+ year old batteries that I may experiment with to collect data before I give up on them. Would love to see a table like:

Before product:
  • Voltage of pack and each battery after charge and pack has settled for a few hours.
  • Voltage of pack and each battery after 10 miles.
  • Voltage of pack and each battery after 20 miles.
  • Continue until pack at 48 volts....
Now install product and redo above measurements a few times over the next months....

I have never been able to find that data....
Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Veteran member
Default desulfator

Drive cart about 5 miles a day. Voltage in the morning after fully charged is 49.9 volts. At the end of the day voltages is 49.4. After cart sets for about an hour the voltage goes up to 49.6 which it should go up if batts are in good shape. Still have not had to add water to batts.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
So .... How's your desulfator working for you now?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Default BatteyMINDer

I have owned a BatteryMINDer for over 2 months now and I can say it is really working for me. My battery's are over 2 years old and in the "sitting mode" (after 10-12 hours after a full charge) the charge is 52.3 volts and after a full charge they are 54.6, that is excellent for 2 year old batteries. When I drive 12 miles or less I use the BM exclusivity to charge my batteries, I never use the bulk charge to charge my cart under 12 miles. The BM is a 2 Amp Maintainer/Desulfator that plugs into a 120 volt regular house current, not like many other units, it doesn't run off your golf cart batteries. This unit is a battery charger, and a desulfator. This unit also eliminates water-loss due to overcharge battery's. For all you snow birds, this unit is safe to leave on when unattended for long extended time periods. They use this unit in aircrafts for extended battery life, so its not just used in golf carts like so many other units on the market. Using the BM with new battery's you could double your battery life. This all being said, the best part is the warranty, a 5 year no hassle 100% part and labor warranty, and a 1 year money back guarantee. How can you go wrong? Any questions you can PM me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.