batteries discharging quickly

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2021, 06:23 PM
Default batteries discharging quickly

club car batteries discharging quickly Batteries are 1 yr old????Any idea what is causing it??
Old 02-03-2021, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Dam, I thought you were talking about my I phone 6 plus in the cold weather the last couple of days.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

IMHO:
1. Check the charger is actually completing a FULL charge.
2. Have batteries tested (auto parts stores can usually do this) to see if you have a bad or weak battery. If you have a digital voltmeter, run your cart around for a while and the measure each battery the voltage readings should be very close to the same. You can purchase a hygrometer and test the amount of charge in each cell, once again all the cells should be a very similar reading.
3. Check all of your battery connections, immediately after the above short run, VERY CAREFULLY touch each battery connection, if you find a warm or hot one you probably found your problem.
4. Take a set of readings during the charging process, and then again an hour or so after charging is complete and the charger is disconnected, and a final set of readings with some load on (lights, etc.). In all cases the readings between cells for each test should be similar, a cell with high or low readings would be suspect.
5. Finally, after charging, disconnect the POSITIVE battery lead, and measure any CURRENT flow with the KEY in the OFF position. If you have a system using 12 VDC batteries, one will probably be used for the 12 VDC accessories, check the current on this battery also with the key OFF. I have seen carts with over 100 milliamperes of drain with the switch in the OFF position (speedometer, radio memory, etc.)

Hope this helps. Send me a PM if you would like me to call to to discuss further.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

What you have is a parasitic drain.

It could be the usb cigarette lighter.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

You can get battery load testers and check each battery

Vident iBT200 9V-36V Battery Tester Car Battery Analyzer

100A 6/12v Battery Load Tester

Some examples, hard to troubleshoot with out tools.

IMO only way to know for sure condition of each battery check disconnect each battery and load test it individually to weed out the weak or dead cell batteries. I would also take close look at terminal connections? Now if all batteries charge up and check good you can rule them out and start looking for why there drain so quickly?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 02-09-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
batteries, discharging, quickly, club, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.