Battery filling systems...? Good or Scary??

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Battery filling systems...? Good or Scary??

Hello all. After visiting 5 different golf cart retailers, I just ordered a new, (refurbished) 48 volt electric Club car.

Basically it is a 2012 that is completely refurbished, frame acid washed and then most everything brand new and customized.

My question is this.....my neighbor has and loves his battery filling system. I looked at it and I think it might be great. I called the place I ordered the cart from and added it to my order.

Then I started researching them on some golf cart forums and read many threads stating that they have been nothing but trouble, and in some cases actually blowing up all 6 trojan batteries.

Some said they are not worth the trouble and solve a problem that never existed. Others love them.

I am looking for folks who have them and am asking to please let me know if I should keep it in the order or cancel it. It is not an inexpensive option....I'm a bit on the fence now.

Looking for opinions....Thank you in advance for any help.

Respectfully, Frank
Old 01-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I love 'em. Makes filling so much easier, you don't have to worry about missing a cell or overfilling. High on my list of options for an electric cart.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Sage

They're not cheap but worth it.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 PM

My first cart didn't have the fill system. I had to fill once a month. No big deal. I bought a new to me cart and it has a fill system. Real nice. Water doesn't evaporate so i only fill maybe every three months. It has a wheel in the supply line, be sure you unplug as soon as the wheel starts to slow or it can overcome the floats and overfill the cells. I would not be without it.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,347 Times in 508 Posts

Have 2 electric cars with the system. I refill once a month, easy and fast....wouldn't do it any other way. I also only fill when the batteries are fully charged and unplug when I fill.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I had an auto fill system. One cell was not filling and it ruined my battery. I now have new batteries and had the auto fill system removed. The new batteries have cell covers on them that cover 3 cells each so I don't have to remove 48 caps to fill.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

I bought a used Par Car which had the auto fill system. It failed and I had to replace all of the batteries. i would never trust one again. I bought a battery filler from Amazon which has a special nozzle that stops filling when the level is correct. I check them once a month. No big deal and more piece of mind but to each his own.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Platinum member

Have had the battery fill system for five years. Love it. No problem. I do check the white battery caps to be sure they all are filling.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:01 PM

A service tech told me to remove and soak the float system in soapy water once a year to keep the floats clean so they don't stick.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Gold member

I also had one cell that stopped working on my fill system and ruined the batteries. When the guy came out to install new batteries, he suggested checking the water every 2-3 months with any auto fill. I had him remove mine and like he suggested, I bought a 1 gallon garden sprayer and easily fill all batteries the first of every month.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Gold member

the guy at the ezgo shop in Spanish Springs does not recommend them
Old 01-25-2015, 11:19 AM

You can purchase a Battery water fill bottle at any auto store for about 15 bucks and it works very well.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,347 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
the guy at the ezgo shop in Spanish Springs does not recommend them
American Cart Center requires them plus a battery minder and with both you get a 5 year battery warranty.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Sage
Default I have not had issues, but have read about issues from others...

I have a fill system on one of my carts. This cart is a 2002 CC and has 8 batteries and it would be almost impossible for me to fill two of the batteries. I periodically pull caps off to check levels and have never seen an issue.

Until this thread I had never heard of a an issue where the float stuck closed so the battery would not fill (That is very scary and harder to notice I bet). I have heard stories of the float sticking 'open' and folks overfill without noticing water coming out top of battery as they fill.

My other cart is a 2002 CC with 6-8v batteries. I find it simple to refill pack using a turkey baster. Hint: Make sure you buy a new baster. If your lovely wife is cooking and cannot find a baster and you bring it in from the garage, explaining it is only distilled water will not help your case...

In summary, it is just one more moving part I have to check/maintain and I will likely only have one if filling the batteries was difficult as with my first cart.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.