Battery filling systems...? Good or Scary??

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Battery filling systems...? Good or Scary??

Hello all. After visiting 5 different golf cart retailers, I just ordered a new, (refurbished) 48 volt electric Club car.

Basically it is a 2012 that is completely refurbished, frame acid washed and then most everything brand new and customized.

My question is this.....my neighbor has and loves his battery filling system. I looked at it and I think it might be great. I called the place I ordered the cart from and added it to my order.

Then I started researching them on some golf cart forums and read many threads stating that they have been nothing but trouble, and in some cases actually blowing up all 6 trojan batteries.

Some said they are not worth the trouble and solve a problem that never existed. Others love them.

I am looking for folks who have them and am asking to please let me know if I should keep it in the order or cancel it. It is not an inexpensive option....I'm a bit on the fence now.

Looking for opinions....Thank you in advance for any help.

Respectfully, Frank
Old 01-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I love 'em. Makes filling so much easier, you don't have to worry about missing a cell or overfilling. High on my list of options for an electric cart.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

They're not cheap but worth it.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 PM

My first cart didn't have the fill system. I had to fill once a month. No big deal. I bought a new to me cart and it has a fill system. Real nice. Water doesn't evaporate so i only fill maybe every three months. It has a wheel in the supply line, be sure you unplug as soon as the wheel starts to slow or it can overcome the floats and overfill the cells. I would not be without it.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Have 2 electric cars with the system. I refill once a month, easy and fast....wouldn't do it any other way. I also only fill when the batteries are fully charged and unplug when I fill.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I had an auto fill system. One cell was not filling and it ruined my battery. I now have new batteries and had the auto fill system removed. The new batteries have cell covers on them that cover 3 cells each so I don't have to remove 48 caps to fill.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

I bought a used Par Car which had the auto fill system. It failed and I had to replace all of the batteries. i would never trust one again. I bought a battery filler from Amazon which has a special nozzle that stops filling when the level is correct. I check them once a month. No big deal and more piece of mind but to each his own.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Platinum member

Have had the battery fill system for five years. Love it. No problem. I do check the white battery caps to be sure they all are filling.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:01 PM

A service tech told me to remove and soak the float system in soapy water once a year to keep the floats clean so they don't stick.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Gold member

I also had one cell that stopped working on my fill system and ruined the batteries. When the guy came out to install new batteries, he suggested checking the water every 2-3 months with any auto fill. I had him remove mine and like he suggested, I bought a 1 gallon garden sprayer and easily fill all batteries the first of every month.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Platinum member

the guy at the ezgo shop in Spanish Springs does not recommend them
Old 01-25-2015, 11:19 AM

You can purchase a Battery water fill bottle at any auto store for about 15 bucks and it works very well.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
the guy at the ezgo shop in Spanish Springs does not recommend them
American Cart Center requires them plus a battery minder and with both you get a 5 year battery warranty.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Sage
Default I have not had issues, but have read about issues from others...

I have a fill system on one of my carts. This cart is a 2002 CC and has 8 batteries and it would be almost impossible for me to fill two of the batteries. I periodically pull caps off to check levels and have never seen an issue.

Until this thread I had never heard of a an issue where the float stuck closed so the battery would not fill (That is very scary and harder to notice I bet). I have heard stories of the float sticking 'open' and folks overfill without noticing water coming out top of battery as they fill.

My other cart is a 2002 CC with 6-8v batteries. I find it simple to refill pack using a turkey baster. Hint: Make sure you buy a new baster. If your lovely wife is cooking and cannot find a baster and you bring it in from the garage, explaining it is only distilled water will not help your case...

In summary, it is just one more moving part I have to check/maintain and I will likely only have one if filling the batteries was difficult as with my first cart.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.