Belts or No Belts?

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2021, 02:45 PM
Default Belts or No Belts?

New villager here!

My husband and I ordered a new cart and have time to make some adjustments before the order is locked in.

Hubby doesn't want seat belts, he thinks they'll "get in the way" when on the course (where we wouldn't use them). But I, on the other hand, would like like to have retractible belts put in for safety when driving on the multi-modal paths.

Thoughts, experiences?
Old 10-04-2021, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

I have them on my cart. I never use them on the golf course, but always when on the MMPs or the local streets.

If you get the retractable ones, you won't even notice they're there...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-04-2021, 02:51 PM

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Golf carts are known to flip over when making sudden turns - like to avoid something. Your life, your decision. Make sure your wills are up to date.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:02 PM

A definate YES
Old 10-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Get the belts, retractable ones, and USE them when not on the golf course, there have been several reports of people dying when involved ina golf cart crash and not wearing a seat belt, just my humble opinion.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

I don't have them.

No seat belts on my bicycle either though similar speed and less protection.

I will probably order them on my next cart and might add them to this one. Nice to have them available if I ever decide I want to use them.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-04-2021, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Oh yes let’s rationalize not wearing seat belts because bicycles don’t have them I tip my hat to you for that stretch , we have had a certain number of people injured after falling out of cart including a recent death , but I can tell you about one I know personally, he was in great shape , ran everyday and a very athletic 65 , he fell out of cart , hit his head and was hospitalized , he’s doing well but he gave up driving because of dizzy spells , he moved back to Boston so that he could walk everywhere or Uber if he needed , he wishes he had a seat belt on and hopes he’ll be able to drive again
Old 10-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Have you seen the drivers here? Get a seat belt.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:52 PM

No. Have had my cart 4 years and have never used them. Waste of money and they get in the way.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Oh yes let’s rationalize not wearing seat belts because bicycles don’t have them I tip my hat to you for that stretch , we have had a certain number of people injured after falling out of cart including a recent death , but I can tell you about one I know personally, he was in great shape , ran everyday and a very athletic 65 , he fell out of cart , hit his head and was hospitalized , he’s doing well but he gave up driving because of dizzy spells , he moved back to Boston so that he could walk everywhere or Uber if he needed , he wishes he had a seat belt on and hopes he’ll be able to drive again
And people die in bicycle accidents. Many people drive thousands of miles in a cart without ever scratching the paint, others catch a tire on a lane divider and drive straight into a tunnel wall.

My point wasn't that seat belts on carts were unnecessary (I believe I wrote that I will be getting them on my next cart) my point was there is a similar activity that can be considered. Helmets are not required on bicycles but few would ride without them; seat belts aren't required on carts...

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
No. Have had my cart 4 years and have never used them. Waste of money and they get in the way.
Minority opinion noted
Old 10-04-2021, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default No you were comparing different risks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
And people die in bicycle accidents. Many people drive thousands of miles in a cart without ever scratching the paint, others catch a tire on a lane divider and drive straight into a tunnel wall.

My point wasn't that seat belts on carts were unnecessary (I believe I wrote that I will be getting them on my next cart) my point was there is a similar activity that can be considered. Helmets are not required on bicycles but few would ride without them; seat belts aren't required on carts...
I understand the risk I’m taking on bike and always wear helmet, but you don’t have to take the risk in your cart but I don’t care what you do I’m sure all the other people had great records also and besides I’ve never owned a cart and don’t have any plans to and I’ve lived here a long time and even lived at the Arnold Palmer bay hill country club in Orlando and I have no desire to ever pick up a golf club ever, that’s all I have you can answer but threads over for me I realize I don’t have a dog in this fight because I don’t have a cart

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 10-04-2021 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-04-2021, 04:31 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Golly View Post
New villager here!

My husband and I ordered a new cart and have time to make some adjustments before the order is locked in.

Hubby doesn't want seat belts, he thinks they'll "get in the way" when on the course (where we wouldn't use them). But I, on the other hand, would like like to have retractible belts put in for safety when driving on the multi-modal paths.

Thoughts, experiences?
Just up your insurance on him it may payoff nicely
Old 10-04-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Golly View Post
New villager here!

Thoughts, experiences?
We have and use the seat belts on our cart. We don't use them on the golf course but don't have a problem with them being in the way. You may be a careful driver but that alone cannot keep you safe from others who drive recklessly or have a medical issue while driving. Hope you make the safe decision.
Closed Thread

Tags
belts, thoughts, paths, multi-modal, hand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.