Belts or No Belts?

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2021, 06:02 AM

I have had seat belts on the last two carts I have owned. On the golf course, it’s pretty wide open, no curbs that you could hit causing your cart to possibly tip over, depending on the speed. However, having been a resident since 2005, I have read about many golf carts that have hit curbs, or have been T-Boned coming out of a tunnel, etc and it appears to me, at time of impact if they had stayed in the cart they may not have been injured as seriously. Do I know that for a fact? No I dont its just my thoughts. Actually its a personal choice as there isnt any law about it. Be smart, be wise, and make you own decision…but hopefully you will wear it while doing on the Multi-media path and around the Villages. One other thought, younger children in my cart, I am thankful I have them, I feel they are more protected as well.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Wasn't rationalizing

I don't think the previous poster was rationalizing that he doesn't have one bicycles. Just stating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Oh yes let’s rationalize not wearing seat belts because bicycles don’t have them I tip my hat to you for that stretch , we have had a certain number of people injured after falling out of cart including a recent death , but I can tell you about one I know personally, he was in great shape , ran everyday and a very athletic 65 , he fell out of cart , hit his head and was hospitalized , he’s doing well but he gave up driving because of dizzy spells , he moved back to Boston so that he could walk everywhere or Uber if he needed , he wishes he had a seat belt on and hopes he’ll be able to drive again
Old 10-05-2021, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

Just think about this, you have signals, probably a bell or buzzer rear view mirrors and no one forces you to use any of them. Seat belts will probably be under a hundred bucks easily and will save your life if you use them on the road and you tip over. But then again no one forces you to use them and they wind up quite nicely. Enjoy your new car and remember you can always put the seat belts on afterwards
Old 10-05-2021, 06:10 AM

We had retractable belts installed about a year after we bought our cart. They do not get in the way on the golf course because they are retracted, obviously, but you never know when someone will do something stupid while you are on the golf cart paths or on the street and they can be a life saver. Tell hubby to grow up and think about the number of poor drivers we have in Florida. He should do it for you if for no other reason.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

helmets not required on motorcycles, do you wear them? Seat belts not required on golf carts, do you wear them? Do you wear your seatbelts in your car? Do you want to get thrown from your cart and possibly die? Get the damn belts!
Old 10-05-2021, 06:20 AM
Default Seat belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Golly View Post
New villager here!

My husband and I ordered a new cart and have time to make some adjustments before the order is locked in.

Hubby doesn't want seat belts, he thinks they'll "get in the way" when on the course (where we wouldn't use them). But I, on the other hand, would like like to have retractible belts put in for safety when driving on the multi-modal paths.

Thoughts, experiences?
Definitely have them installed - They don’t get in the way! Read about the golf cart accidents here and you will change his mind!
Old 10-05-2021, 06:27 AM
Default seat belts and golf carts

Quote:
New villager here!

My husband and I ordered a new cart and have time to make some adjustments before the order is locked in.

Hubby doesn't want seat belts, he thinks they'll "get in the way" when on the course (where we wouldn't use them). But I, on the other hand, would like like to have retractible belts put in for safety when driving on the multi-modal paths.

Thoughts, experiences?
I just purchased a new cart and added seat belts. I've rented in the villages over the past two years and used multiple gold carts. I personally don't like to sliding on the seats when the the golf cart is moving.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
No seat belts on my bicycle either though similar speed and less protection.
Not true unless you don’t wear a helmet, which would be foolish.

Really, we should wear helmets in our carts. If a cart flips on its side, your head is probably going to hit the ground even if you are wearing a belt.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am an avid cyclist who wears a helmet and my cart has belts, which I use when on the roads. I also do not wear a helmet in my cart, but have long considered it.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:06 AM
Default It’s a No-Brainer

Quote:
New villager here!

Thoughts, experiences?
Last week I had to swerve to avoid a serious collision with others who had stopped in the middle of the MM path to chat. I was the unlucky one who had to swerve on my left. My cart went up on the curb of the median and I was ejected from my golf cart. I sustained a compound fracture to my right ankle and other injuries to my upper body. I will not be able to walk or play golf until after the first of the year. Had I had the seatbelts, I would not have been thrown from the golf cart. Hindsight is 2020. I hope you decide to avoid the possibility of spending time in the hospital in excruciating pain and spend the extra $200 and buy the seatbelts. There are people out there who do not know to exit the path when chatting, texting or using the phone. Don’t be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited by Joanne19335; 10-05-2021 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 10-05-2021, 07:10 AM

Save your life & get seat belts, it’s a must with seniors
Old 10-05-2021, 07:14 AM

Get the belts!
Old 10-05-2021, 07:14 AM

Belts are a must. They don’t get in the way. They retract and you don’t even know you have them.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:16 AM
Default We have one on order - belts include

Quote:
New villager here!

Thoughts, experiences?
Our cart is due in 3 weeks. We ordered new and had the seat belts installed. There are some bad drivers in TV. Seat belts could save your life.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
New villager here!

Thoughts, experiences?
You are right. There is no need for seatbelts while on the golf course (well, assuming the driver knows how to deal with hills). But most cart use here is NOT on the golf course, and it is done at relatively high speeds, given the vehicle, and there are a lot of 90° turns. If a cart tips over or there is a collision, seatbelts can be lifesavers. In an accident, one frequent disaster is passengers being thrown from the cart to the ground. Passengers also sometimes fall out when the cart makes a left turn. INSIST on seatbelts, and use them. If you use them in your car, you need them on your cart. They don’t cost much.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
New villager here!

Thoughts, experiences?
Faith over fear. Trust your god given driving skills. Seat Belts are about control.
Closed Thread

Tags
belts, thoughts, paths, multi-modal, hand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.