Which is the BEST driving cart

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Gold member
Default People defending their golf carts?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by doran View Post
I have owned a Club Car Precedent and found it to be a smooth ride and durable. Most golf courses in the Western United States use these for their Country Clubs, you can handle the car easily. Only drawback is the distance per charge, between 27-32 miles. I currently drive a Columbia Par Car Eagle P5 which is sporty, long range, and built to last. Only drawback is the ride quality is the ride is a little stiff, but I love it.

Some things to consider on an electric cart,

1.) Plug it in every time it goes in the garage
2.) Invest in a single fill watering system, fills all batteries at once.
3) Get yourself a mat designed to catch any acid overflow on the garage floor.
4)The battery life is between 3-4 years, only replace them all at once, never one at a time.
5) When it is time for batteries, call Battery Boys. they deliver, haul away and do a fast, clean job, Trojan Batteries.
6.) Thank-you for doing your part to reduce noise, smell, and air pollution.
1. RE: Western golf courses
Confession we own a Yamaha GAS. They do not allow gas golf carts in ANAL California. Reason-noise. The pollution from a gas golf cart is probably higher than your car. Due to the fact that they are or were designed as GOLF CARTS, the engine stops every time you stop the cart.
The most dirty time for a gasoline engine is starting and stopping.
2. Electric vehicles-surely you all realize the electricity comes from burning what we call fossil fuel. I don't know about Florida but for the US 40% of electricity still comes from COAL. Reminder we has some atomic, some solar, some hydro, some wind, and I think some earth thermal.
You just do not see the pollution you are creating.
3. As to a stink-we have fuel injection and it is cleaner than a carburetor. Like anything else, you will find people driving golf carts in need of repairs-way out of tune that are far worse then they should be.
4. Both CHOICES have advantages and disadvantages.
As I've said we have gas.
I see people with electric golf carts afraid to turn on their head lights when they really should be on. This is because they fear the drain on the batteries.
Should you run out of gas, gasoline can be bought and added to the cart-not so with electricity
Quiet-yes, the electric carts are quieter but that is not always a plus. I've had people in electric golf carts climb up my butt when I am ridding my bike and you do not hear them. Same is true of people walking.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:27 PM

It all comes down to amp hours which translates into range. 12v have I believe 185 ah per battery thus a total of 740ah. 8v have I believe 215 ah for a total of 1290 ah. Last 6v have 225 for a total 1800 ah. All are 48 vdc. You will get longer run time the more ah available.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Gold member
Default No shortage of opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I suspect that it's because there is some kind of connection between the developer and the Yamaha dealer.

Nationwide, Club Car has the highest market share. Also, nationwide, electric carts outsell gas by a huge margin. The general thought amongst golf cart experts is that Yamaha makes the best gas carts and Club Car makes the best electrics.

It might be that because we use golf carts as a means of transportation other than on a golf course that gas carts are more popular here, but that will be changing with the advent of longer life batteries and especially now that lithium-ion batteries have become available for golf carts.

There is a new cart, I believe that it's called Smart Cart, that has lithium-ion batteries. These batteries require no maintenance, last for 15 years and can go 100 miles on one charge. It also has a Toyota motor, built in speedometer and many other features.

Lithium-Ion batteries are also available for pretty much all other electric carts as well.

As these become more and more popular, I would expect to see the Yamaha and the gas cart use diminishing.
We own a yamaha gas golf cart. As to an affiliation between the millages and yamaha-I DOUBT THAT.

My personal experience. I did my reading and frankly had decided on buying a club car gas. Reason-the engine is slightly bigger than the one in the yamaha. If I recall it is 15 hp compared to 12 in the yamaha. Also te engine in the club car is a Kawasaki and it has pressurized lubrication. The yamaha is a simple splash system. The yamaha has fan cooling, the Kawasaki does not

The club car dealer sold me on buying a YAMAHA and I have no regrets. The dealer and his service guy only knew their electric models.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Sage

///

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
We own a yamaha gas golf cart. As to an affiliation between the millages and yamaha-I DOUBT THAT.

My personal experience. I did my reading and frankly had decided on buying a club car gas. Reason-the engine is slightly bigger than the one in the yamaha. If I recall it is 15 hp compared to 12 in the yamaha. Also te engine in the club car is a Kawasaki and it has pressurized lubrication. The yamaha is a simple splash system. The yamaha has fan cooling, the Kawasaki does not

The club car dealer sold me on buying a YAMAHA and I have no regrets. The dealer and his service guy only knew their electric models.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Both the Yamaha and Club car motors are great. They both have fans.
We have very few problems with either motor and they last a very very long time with no internal engine repairs required.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Gold member
Default You did not read my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Susiegel, did you have anyone check the alignment? We bought a used cart, and I noticed the steering wheel was always off center, after getting the service manual, I was able to determine the alignment was out. I was able to do the alignment myself, and the cart drives much better. The other item to check are the bushings on the front arms supporting the front wheels. If you have a helper, they can look under the cart while you twist the steering wheel back and forth, there should be very little or no movement of the control arms where they are mounted to the frame.
Hope this helps.
Both of the 2017's were loaners. Not mine. Not my problem. Far as I know it is impossible for the steering gear or bushings to be worn. Since they are used as loaners, perhaps previous people abused them
Old 11-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Both of the 2017's were loaners. Not mine. Not my problem. Far as I know it is impossible for the steering gear or bushings to be worn. Since they are used as loaners, perhaps previous people abused them
I have personally seen a newer (2015?) cart with the front bushing actually crumbling, they were blue plastic, and pieces were literally falling out of the joints. Yes, I agree with you, since these were loaners, they were probably abused.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doran View Post
6.) Thank-you for doing your part to reduce noise, smell, and air pollution.
Speaking of smell.......I had a Yamaha 2017 gas cart loaner when we had the annual service done on our 2016 Yamaha electric cart. I pulled the cart into the garage and closed the door. I had a very prominent odor of gas in the garage. I thought something was wrong with the loaner cart. I opened the garage door to air it out for about 2 minutes then closed the door. No more smell.

Another time, I had a 2017 Yamaha gas cart as a loaner, same thing happened. I put the cart in the garage and there was an obnoxious smell of gas. After opening the garage door to air out the garage, the smell dissipated and did not return.

Honestly.....I would not want to have to allow the gas smell to air out before closing my garage door every time I park the cart in the garage.

I LOVE my Yamaha 2016 electric cart.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You want to look at units of energy (kWh) when comparing different battery configurations.

Some typical numbers from Trojan's webpage:

4 x 12 volt config = 8 kWh
6 x 8 volt config = 9 kWh
8 x 6 volt config = 12 kWh

Therefore, the difference between a 4 x 12 volt configuration and a 8 x 6 volt configuration is about 1.5x. I believe about 0.15 - 0.2 kWh per mile is a good estimate, YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail41 View Post
It all comes down to amp hours which translates into range. 12v have I believe 185 ah per battery thus a total of 740ah. 8v have I believe 215 ah for a total of 1290 ah. Last 6v have 225 for a total 1800 ah. All are 48 vdc. You will get longer run time the more ah available.

Last edited by tuccillo; 11-06-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:48 AM

I had all three E Z Go is the best
Old 11-06-2017, 05:14 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjane View Post
I had all three E Z Go is the best
Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 AM

Easy Go Electric .... great pick up and performance and a used electric motor has decades of use.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Speaking of smell.......I had a Yamaha 2017 gas cart loaner when we had the annual service done on our 2016 Yamaha electric cart. I pulled the cart into the garage and closed the door. I had a very prominent odor of gas in the garage. I thought something was wrong with the loaner cart. I opened the garage door to air it out for about 2 minutes then closed the door. No more smell.

Another time, I had a 2017 Yamaha gas cart as a loaner, same thing happened. I put the cart in the garage and there was an obnoxious smell of gas. After opening the garage door to air out the garage, the smell dissipated and did not return.

Honestly.....I would not want to have to allow the gas smell to air out before closing my garage door every time I park the cart in the garage.

I LOVE my Yamaha 2016 electric cart.
That was the problem we had with the new 2017 I had for Dad. ALWAYS smelled bad. We took it back to TV carts several times and they always said it was ok...not.... So I sold that cart. My 2012 doesn't smell compared to the 2017. Just got Dad a 2011 Yamaha electric for this season.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Seats make the best ride - if you want comfort you’ll have to spend the money to get the best seats or find a used someone else outfitted with the good ones. Best drive that’s subjective but ez go makes a great electric cart - the newer carts have DC Motors - it’s all about the motor and number of batteries. People selling electric used carts are most likely selling because they need batteries and that’s about 1000 bucks. Test drive them you’ll know which one to buy. Good luck
Old 11-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Hands down, the Atomic Cool Cart. They are located just south of Brownwood across 44. This is a totally different vehicle that has power steering, power brakes, power windows, and Air Conditioning just to name a few of the countless benefits. It is light years better than any other electric golf cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
driving, cart, ride, electric, mom

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.