Best Electric Cart to buy

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM

We price-compared new EZGO, PARCAR & Club Car (Electric) and so far Club car is lowest. Should we buy it?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Location: Wisconsin, San Antonio, Germany, Korea, Alabama and soon The Villages

We are also in the market for a golf cart and were leaning toward the Yamaha, now I'm not so sure. We definitely want an electric cart but it sounds like most people on this thread are happy with the EZGO. Does anyone out there have a Yamaha?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Sage

My first choice are the Club Cars, they are about 100lbs lighter in weight because they use an alum frame (no driveway rust) less weight = more distance.

Just add out solar and go all day & nite
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
My first choice are the Club Cars, they are about 100lbs lighter in weight because they use an alum frame (no driveway rust) less weight = more distance.

Just add out solar and go all day & nite
I haven't seen any frame rust causing driveway stains but have seen yellow/brown driveway stains caused by leaking battery acid from electric carts.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I was in the golf business for 35 years. In that time I managed, maintained and purchased several golf cart fleets. Back in the 80s and 90s EZ Go were generally considered to the the Cadillac of golf carts. In the late mid 90s, Club Car made several changes to their carts and just overtook the market. I think that it was the aluminum frame that first got so much attention and then they were the first ones to develop the 48 volt system with six 8-volt batteries.
I think that Club Cars are still the best out there. The lightweight frame allows them to use a lot less power to get more miles and it never rusts out.

I have a 48 volt Club Car with six 8-volt batteries and when I need new batteries, I am going to do the conversion to eight 6-volt batteries.

Another note of caution. If you like the carts with the fancy bodies like the Yesteryear carts or the '57 Chevy that's fine. Some people love them, but be advised that those bodies are much heavier than a standard golf cart body and will cut down on your range.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
I haven't seen any frame rust causing driveway stains but have seen yellow/brown driveway stains caused by leaking battery acid from electric carts.
So R U saying that the battery in a gas cart can't have a leaking battery?

It's called lack of maintenance, having an elec cart is not the reason.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I was in the golf business for 35 years. In that time I managed, maintained and purchased several golf cart fleets. Back in the 80s and 90s EZ Go were generally considered to the the Cadillac of golf carts. In the late mid 90s, Club Car made several changes to their carts and just overtook the market. I think that it was the aluminum frame that first got so much attention and then they were the first ones to develop the 48 volt system with six 8-volt batteries.
I think that Club Cars are still the best out there. The lightweight frame allows them to use a lot less power to get more miles and it never rusts out.

I have a 48 volt Club Car with six 8-volt batteries and when I need new batteries, I am going to do the conversion to eight 6-volt batteries.
What is the conversion cost to go from six 8-volt batteries to eight 6-volt batteries? The total cost, incl. two addt'l batteries? How many more miles would you get in extra range?

Gene
Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 AM
Sage

Gene there's a second part of that questions which needs to be included.

Two batteries weigh about 130lbs, extra cables and battery brackets weigh I guess 20-30 lbs, call it 150 for sake of discussion.

So the extra batteries will give more amps = distance but it will be diminished by the extra weight.

A club cart is about 500 lbs add the extra batteries so it's now 650 lbs.

that really hurts going up the small hills & tunnels.

Now the cost to add the batteries & cables $225-$250
cost to fabricate the bracket?????

Maintain more batteries

I know I'm bias, but the solar option blows this idea away in many other ways.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Sage

Tessie is adorable!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Sage
Default Some info from a post some time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
What is the conversion cost to go from six 8-volt batteries to eight 6-volt batteries? The total cost, incl. two addt'l batteries? How many more miles would you get in extra range?

Gene
Here is an estimate from Frank7 with details.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...934-post2.html
Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post

Gene
I forgot I had this still. If you find mind numbing data interesting, read the chart. It contains a test I did when I was converting my cart from 6-8s to 8-6s. It was the exact same cart for both runs. The only difference was the battery pack installed.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Gene there's a second part of that questions which needs to be included.

Two batteries weigh about 130lbs, extra cables and battery brackets weigh I guess 20-30 lbs, call it 150 for sake of discussion.

So the extra batteries will give more amps = distance but it will be diminished by the extra weight.

A club cart is about 500 lbs add the extra batteries so it's now 650 lbs.

that really hurts going up the small hills & tunnels.

Now the cost to add the batteries & cables $225-$250
cost to fabricate the bracket?????

Maintain more batteries

I know I'm bias, but the solar option blows this idea away in many other ways.

Jimbo,

Good info from you. Thanks!

OK...here's the $64,000 question: When will your solar-powered cart be ready for action....May, June, ??? Inquiring minds are inquiring. <g>

Gene
Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 PM

What about the GEM. Looks good, but I don't see very many around TV.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Default Star Cart has been great for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
I would like to know what type of electric cart people have in TV and if they are happy with them. What make do you have and how many batteries.

I would appreciate some guidance.
Before I purchased my Starr Cart I did hear of some people having electrical problems but I have been very happy with mine. It is 48 Volt with 8 - 6 volt batteries (which I believe give you the best range). Other reasons I purchased one: Priced a few thousand less than similar equiped Yamaha or Club Car,4 seater with flip up seat, seat belts std. nice sumbrella cover std, a little higher headroom. Also I purchased with 10 inch tires instead of the 13 inch standard tires to improve ride. You may want to go over and look at them. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Default Gem is street legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbatts View Post
What about the GEM. Looks good, but I don't see very many around TV.
You dont see many around as they only make a street legal to the best of my knowledge.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.