Best Electric Cart to buy

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
My first choice are the Club Cars, they are about 100lbs lighter in weight because they use an alum frame (no driveway rust) less weight = more distance.

Just add out solar and go all day & nite
I'd like to see this solar too. It must be very revolutionary as I have never seen solar be able to do what you are saying it is capable of doing. You will be a millionaire if it works. A solar panel that fits on top of a golf car AND can charge a pack of golf cart batteries? Wow, sounds too good to be true.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Sage

See this thread
Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 AM

It doesn't state how many watts the system puts back into the batteries. I'd like to do some calculations and figure some other factors in. Having seen solar tried on golf cars since the early 80's, I haven't seen any that can make it so you don't have to charge up your cart without using the factory charger. Can you provide how many watts the system puts out?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:55 AM

I love my Parcar...2011 model and I have not had one problem and great service !!!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

To those of you that have a EZGO RXV Freedom what is the max distance you estimate you can go on a single charge?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
I would like to know what type of electric cart people have in TV and if they are happy with them. What make do you have and how many batteries.

I would appreciate some guidance.
By a gas cart!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by par View Post
By a gas cart!

What is it U didn't understand the question.

He does want to hear it, smell it or go to gas stations.

In fact he cares about the future generations and his carbon footprint, perhaps.

Club Cars all the way
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
What is it U didn't understand the question.

He does want to hear it, smell it or go to gas stations.

In fact he cares about the future generations and his carbon footprint, perhaps.

Club Cars all the way
Jimbo...Why 'Club Cars all the way?' Why not Yamaha, EZGO, etc? Serious question.

Gene
Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Sage

Gene

In elec carts distance and weight have a significant correlation, lighter an object less battery drain to get going, less battery drain to keep going.

CC's have all aluminum chassis and weight less than the others 50-75lbs, the one other minor perk is no rust stains when they get older.

I have two, one with 6 batteries the other with 4 just to further test the distance with 2 less batteries weighing about 140 lbs less.

I'll be doing a lot tests with these two when I get back.

below is the dry weight without batteries or extras

Club Car Precedent Electric: 495 Pounds
Club Car DS IQ-System Electric: 498 Pounds

EZGO RXV Electric: 571 Pounds
EZGO Medalist/TXT Electric: 550 Pounds

Yamaha G22 Electric: 549 Pounds
Yamaha G19 Electric: 560 Pounds
Yamaha G16 Electric: 560 Pounds
Yamaha G14 Electric: 560 Pounds
Yamaha G9 Electric: 519 Pounds (not bad)
Yamaha G8 Electric: 556 Pounds
Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Gene

In elec carts distance and weight have a significant correlation, lighter an object less battery drain to get going, less battery drain to keep going.

CC's have all aluminum chassis and weight less than the others 50-75lbs, the one other minor perk is no rust stains when they get older.

I have two, one with 6 batteries the other with 4 just to further test the distance with 2 less batteries weighing about 140 lbs less.

I'll be doing a lot tests with these two when I get back.

below is the dry weight without batteries or extras

Club Car Precedent Electric: 495 Pounds
Club Car DS IQ-System Electric: 498 Pounds

EZGO RXV Electric: 571 Pounds
EZGO Medalist/TXT Electric: 550 Pounds

Yamaha G22 Electric: 549 Pounds
Yamaha G19 Electric: 560 Pounds
Yamaha G16 Electric: 560 Pounds
Yamaha G14 Electric: 560 Pounds
Yamaha G9 Electric: 519 Pounds (not bad)
Yamaha G8 Electric: 556 Pounds
Jimbo - Thank you for posting this information. This is why I enjoy reading TOTV. I see you live in Fernandina -- how far have you driven your Club Cars in one day and/or what is your typical daily usage of your Club Cars?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Sage

I only had it on the road here about 10 days before I left so hard to say, but the first day went 43 miles or so with almost 50% battery reserve.

That was on the 4 12V not the 6 8volt cart which I test when I get back
Old 06-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
I only had it on the road here about 10 days before I left so hard to say, but the first day went 43 miles or so with almost 50% battery reserve.

That was on the 4 12V not the 6 8volt cart which I test when I get back
Please post your test results when you return. Someday when I hope to move to TV, I am leaning towards getting an electric cart as I love their quietness. Nothing like being able to hear yourself think and the sounds of nature as you drive the cart .
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 AM

I live in fernandina and bought a used club car DS with six 8 volt batteries that I was told were new Nov 2012. In April I went from Placida Villas in Fernandina to Colony, to LSL Starbucks. Then on to Spanish Springs to the square and golf cart store. From there I went to Brownwood and back home. I drove 18/19 mph. On the last leg to home I could notice a reduction in performance, but I could still maintain 18/19 mph. I'm not sure how good this is for the batteries but I wanted to know how far I could go. I don't see myself ever going further than this, so I'm happy.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbatts View Post
What about the GEM. Looks good, but I don't see very many around TV.
I see quite a few of them around TV and most have For Sale sings on them.

I looked into buying one about a year ago. I test drove one and they are very fast and remarkably smooth riding. They have two speeds. One is the energy saving mode where the cart will go about 20mph or so and the other is the fast mode which brings it up to 25mph.
They have a 72 volt system. I forget what the battery configuration is.

The reasons that I didn't buy one are many. #1, the range is 25 miles. They will not go any further than that. #2, they are very expensive and I couldn't see spending $15,000 to go 25 miles per day. #3, according to Florida law, they must be registered and insured as they come under the category of a Low Speed Vehicle and not a golf cart. They must also have seat belts and all of the other safety equipment that a car has including a solid windshield that cannot be opened. I love to ride with the top half of my windshield down.
The cost of registering and insuring is somewhere in the order of $2,000 the first years. It goes down a bit after the first year.
Basically, I want a golf cart, not another car.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Sage
Default I cannot post this enough.... know your pack state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg View Post
<Stuff snipped by Alan for brevity> On the last leg to home I could notice a reduction in performance, but I could still maintain 18/19 mph. I'm not sure how good this is for the batteries but I wanted to know how far I could go. I don't see myself ever going further than this, so I'm happy.
No matter what type of electric cart you get, no matter the battery configuration or if you have solar. Get a volt meter installed in your golf cart. It is a pretty simple DIY project and I suspect a relatively inexpensive install if you hire someone. Understanding how much your batteries are discharged is part of battery maintenance and will keep you from being another stranded casualty for the gassers to make fun of . In addition, you will start to see trends in your pack, e.g., played Lopez and came home and pack was at 49.3 volts. In the future you play Lopez and get home and pack is at 48.5 volts....maybe a bad battery which if ignored could affect the life of the pack?

A digital meter that displays numbers is very nice as there is no doubt the pack's state of charge. My rule of thumb for my packs is to not discharge more than 50%. If you decide to follow my rule, then you would consider heading home when your digital meter displays 48.4 volts while sitting idle. At 48.4 volts will have plenty of juice left and in a pinch can discharge 80% (about 47 volts). On my last ride my cart with 8-6v 39 month old batteries was at 40 miles when I crossed that 50% threshold. Based on my tracking such mundane things for my packs, I estimate my cart could have gone another 20'ish miles before crossing the dead line at 80%.

My carts came with an analog meter. If you do not have a meter that displays numbers, take some time to find out where on that type of meter 48.4 volts is. I have the meter below. On this type of meter, based on my rule above, I try to never let the needle be in the green when sitting idle. IMO 48.4 volts on this meter is where the 'F' line is. This picture is after a full charge. Good luck....

The Villages Florida

Last edited by ajbrown; 06-29-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.