Best place for batteries? Install myself?

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2019, 08:10 AM
Default Best place for batteries? Install myself?

What is currently the best place to buy batteries? How much can you saving with self installation?

Need six 8 volt batteries for a club car. Is it worth it to change to eight 6 volt?

Much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

We found Battery Boys were the best but they install too.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 AM
Gold member

We use Ken Spano and I would never change my own batteries
Old 02-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Default The battery confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luperona9 View Post
What is currently the best place to buy batteries? How much can you saving with self installation?

Need six 8 volt batteries for a club car. Is it worth it to change to eight 6 volt?

Much appreciated.
Most current golf carts are 48 volts. Each cell of a lead acid battery is two volts. Thus if you look at a 6 volt battery it will have three fill caps-3 cells x 2 is 6 volts. Common ways to achieve 48 volts is 4 12 volt batteries, 6 8 volt batteries or 8 6 volt batteries. It is more than the voltage that gives you the range-run time. It is also how much current the batteries can hold ampere hours. You can think of it as the size of the bucket or perhaps the size of the gas tank.

The question of using 6 8v or 8 6v is not a simple either or.
Assuming you now have 6 8v, installing 8 6v batteries may require expensive modification. More wiring, perhaps a new battery holder etc. Some batteries have more ampere hours than others. This is done by modifying the plates. Everything is a trade off. They must use thinner insulation between plates and that can make the battery more subject to shock and vibration.

It is worth the cost? Only you can decide. The longevity, useful life of a 12v,8v,6v lead acid battery will all be about the same.

Lithium Ion batteries are now becoming available for golf carts.
They cost more, have a longer life than lead acid batteries and store more current in the same space.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
We have used Battery Boys and have been pleased with their work.

It may be cheaper to buy elsewhere and self-install but remember (1) batteries are very heavy, so take it slowly, and (2) you have to dispose of the old ones.

While the shop you buy from may take them, that's a lot of lugging around of batteries, and you'd need to make good notes of how they are installed in the cart from a wiring perspective.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
We use Ken Spano and I would never change my own batteries
I used to use ken spano but have not used him after three bad experiences
Old 02-27-2019, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Another vote for Battery Boys.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:29 PM

If you want to try to do it yourself, Rural King has good prices on average batteries.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:05 PM

Be careful DC won't let go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I used to use ken spano but have not used him after three bad experiences
We were also Ken Spano customers, but after the last couple of times decided to go to Battery Boys, and have been happy ever since.

Rollie
Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I used battery boys last time. My batteries are showing signs of weakening and their only 5 years old. I will use battery boys again and it looks like that will be within two more years.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I'm a DIY type of guy. 2 electric carts since moving to TV 6 years ago. Each required repl batteries.

Both times, after much research decided to go with Battery Boys. Both times - the install was very professional. Our Yamaha a few years ago needed rust-cleaning and painting in the battery bay - BB guy took a long time to clean and restore before batt install - beautiful. Our Tomberlin just required batt removal and new install.

They perform testing afterwards and good instruction, warranty.

Would never try DIY for batt repl myself. Too risky, too difficult in order to possibly save a few bucks.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

Much appreciated.
I believe that if you want to change to eight 6-volt batteries that some modifications involving welding to the battery compartment are necessary.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Batteries

Quote:

Much appreciated.
Best ti call Battery Boys or Par Car guys on 441. they are very good on advice, they are honest and seem to be very professional and good to deal with.

Closed Thread

Tags
batteries, volt, place, club, worth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.