Radio in my golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Default Radio in my golf cart?

Bought a used cart that does not have a radio/cd/aux. Seems like most we have seen do. What is your experience? Necessary, nice to have, never use it? If I decide to add it to my cart, who is the most cost effective installer?
Thanks!
Old 05-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

OK to have. Certainly not required. I did mine as cost effectively as can be done. Series has an app for you phone if you have it in any car. So I got a bluetooth speaker from Amazon for $20, mounted it under the dash and it has a plug for my USB port to keep it charged. Paired it to the phone and it works great. Total cost $20. Biggest issue is because the cart is open and somewhat noisy, it has to be to loud to be effective.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

This was discussed last week.

install am/fm ,cd player receiver with speakers in my yamaha gas cart
Old 05-24-2020, 12:03 PM

If you buy a name brand (Bose or JBL) you won't have to crank the volume. It's worth the extra cost.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani & Bill View Post
Bought a used cart that does not have a radio/cd/aux. Seems like most we have seen do. What is your experience? Necessary, nice to have, never use it? If I decide to add it to my cart, who is the most cost effective installer?
Thanks!
IMHO, do a Google search (or Amazon) for golf cart radios (NO CD player), there are several TRAY type systems that mount overhead and have built in speakers. these are relatively easy to install IF ordered for your year and make of golf cart, typically only 2 wires power and ground required. I have helped other neighbors with these. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 PM

Most don't! And quite frankly, I for one don't want to listen to your choice of programming when in my cart, soooo please keep your windows closed if you have one installed and use it....oh, no windows? Then please don't install one.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:28 AM

Agree! Good thing most don’t have radios. Imagine the sound driving in your cart having to hear 10 different stations around you!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:42 AM

Ear buds and a cell phone.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I want to know where all these carts with radios are. Although they exist, my experience is that they are rare.

I have no issue if anyone wants one or has one. I'm just surprised to hear someone say that most golf carts in The Villages have one.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
OK to have. Certainly not required. I did mine as cost effectively as can be done. Series has an app for you phone if you have it in any car. So I got a bluetooth speaker from Amazon for $20, mounted it under the dash and it has a plug for my USB port to keep it charged. Paired it to the phone and it works great. Total cost $20. Biggest issue is because the cart is open and somewhat noisy, it has to be to loud to be effective.
To piggyback on this thread. I too bought a BlueTooth speaker from Amazon, but paid more for it. I bought a high-end JBL. I keep in the sweater basket while in the car and did not mount it. I like to bring it back on the lanai, or with me as I work outside. The larger more expensive one was about 179 bucks and I LOVE it. I too use the app for SiriusXM radio so I can enjoy music everywhere I go. As for being loud enough in the cart, I control the volume with my phone and it works great. I never turn it up fully and my wife and I sing along with it. In my opinion, I have had low-end BT speakers and they are fine for some applications, but to really enjoy your music, a better speaker is necessary. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is true most of the time. Enjoy.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:37 AM

We have a portable device called Amp Caddy that pairs to our phones. We also use the Sirius app or Pandora app to play music. It clamps onto the cart and we can remove and take other places or bring it for charging. It holds around 20 hours of charge. I turn the volume down when we slow down or come to a stop so it’s not as loud as when we are riding. Having music makes the golf cart ride more enjoyable.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani & Bill View Post
Thanks!
Radio reception tends to be spotty in the Villages, but music streaming works just fine using Pandora , Sirius FM apps on my cell phone. I got the JBL Bluetooth Speaker system fron the Villages Golf Cars installed. It is weatherproof and works great!
Old 05-25-2020, 06:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

I had a Streetrod w/a builtin stereo. Too loud for others. Sold that ride now I have a bluetooth speaker I carry cart to cart and control better.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:33 AM

Never even thought of having a radio. It would have to be turned up too loud to even hear it, and might bother others. Ear buds in your phone would be more effective if you miss your music that much.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:43 AM
theruizs

In gas carts, the sound has to be turned up too high and disturbs anyone you come near. It works better in electric carts. However, even though we have had a radio/xm in both types of cart we really didn’t use it much. I guess we are one of those rare couples who like to talk when we are together, or talk to whomever we are riding with. So we only used it when we were alone anyway. IMHO, it really isn’t worth it. Use your bluetooth earbuds and smartphone when you want music.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, radio, decide, add, cost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.