Best place to look for USED golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Sage
Default Best place to look for USED golf cart?

What's the best place to look for a 2-3 year old golf cart? Either gas or electric is OK as long as the 'buy' is good.

Is there any value to just roaming around the squares looking for 'for sale' signs?

Should I go to a dealer? Which one?

Are there people that do driveway repairs after I purchase one?

Thanks!
Russ
Old 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Veteran member
Default Good Thread

Russ.

I will be keeping an eye on this subject.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'd be hesitant buying from someone at the squares. Most of the sales are from Villagers who are honest about the condition of their cart, but the exceptions are enough to make me very wary. If you know of someone selling, I'd go that route first. Second, a friend of a friend. Third (and probably the best choice), Jim Followell. He stands behind the carts he sells, will repair things at his cost if he feels the problem was his (i.e., bearing going out 5 months after cart sold), he's reasonable in his prices.

As to driveways, I haven't found anyone I would really recommend. It seems they are good one time and awful the next, so it really seems to be a matter of luck getting the right guy at the right time.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

I think Russ means cart repairs in driveway?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Sage

Yes, sorry, I mean at home golf cart repairs instead of bringing it in to the dealer.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
What's the best place to look for a 2-3 year old golf cart? Either gas or electric is OK as long as the 'buy' is good.

Is there any value to just roaming around the squares looking for 'for sale' signs?

Should I go to a dealer? Which one?

Are there people that do driveway repairs after I purchase one?

Thanks!
Russ
Like so many threads, alot of the answer has to do with your requirements and of course budget.

I see 2-3 years old in your post, in my world that is new . Is that what you looking for, (something that looks new) or could it be 6-7 years old? If you look at an electric cart there are so few moving parts, little that can go wrong, years are not as important as when buying a car for example. I say electric, not to say they are better, but I have no idea how to work on or evaluate gas carts, so I do not know what may need fixing on a 10 year old gas cart.

Another question is, do you want to work on your cart? This is a great way to save money and IMO alot of fun!

My carts are 10 and 8 years old. Both needed some work when I bought them, neither has ever let me down (feverishly knocking on wood!!!!!!)

For me all of my carts are private sales. Through word of mouth, if folks getting new cart, can I get their trade in before dealer, or I check the news paper. I feel comfortable evaluating and electric cart in a private sale and feel it is the best way for me to get a bang for my buck.

If you really would just like a cart that is pretty new and ready to go and you do not feel comfortable evaluating a cart, I would find a dealer that other's trust and you can get some form of warranty.

I think the best "deal" at a dealer can be to buy a trade in that is not their own make. As an example my friend bought a great Par Car from a local Club Car dealer. IMO if it was a Club Car they may be more apt to get the service guys to pimp it out a bit.

I have very little experence from dealers. I do know there are alot of private sales available. I am a Club Car guy and there always seems to be 3-5 in the paper. When I get back, I am in the market for a new one, maybe a 2003 this time
Old 07-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

russ - when it comes to an item such as a golf cart, i want to buy from the person i can complain to; and where i can throw the irate customer act i am still perfecting!

we went to each of the major dealers in the area from the villages up above the market of marion - we learned something new from each of the sales people. then we evaluated all of the gas v elec info here on the totv boards. and then we bought a gas club car cart from grandpa and grandma's village buggies up on the hiway almost to the marion market [on the right]. he was offering the best bang for our buck when we purchased close to the end of the 'season' - and 'the season' does have a lot to do with purchase price!

scott and vicky are villages residents, work as hard as any folks we have met [but they don't work on weekends] and have been most responsive to any of our requests for info and modification work. please consider talking to them before you purchase elsewhere.

if ease and convenience of sales and service are your primary concerns, the villages sales floks may be your best bet...but i wouldn't buy there without talking to jim followell [suggested by redwitch].

Old 07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Having bought 3 carts now, one refurbished, one used private sale, and one dealer new, I would buy a low cost private sale gas Yamaha if I was looking for my first cart again. A gas Yamaha seems to run forever, very few problems, no distance or night driving concerns and fairly available. I own both gas and electric and they each have the good points and bad points.

I would drive this cart for a year or so, then if I wanted to upgrade I would know by then what I really wanted. You will also know your driving habits and requirements. Will you drive it to work everyday? Drive home from work and want to go play golf? With gas you can do that.

You can find really nice ones for around $4000 and can sell it a year or two later for $3500 or so. You can find even older ones that might need a little work for around $2500.

For driveway service, I like Ken Spanos.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

We second the motion for Grandpa and Grandma's Village Buggies. They have 2007's available as well as 2009's. They get them from upscale golf courses up north instead of from Florida. That way, they are only used a few months out of the year and are not worked to death like carts here in TV. Plus, they refurbish them completely, inside and out. You get to pick out your seat colors, body color, canvas, etc. and body decals. They came highly recommended, and that's why we chose them. It was the right decision. We bought a 2009 Yamaha Gas. Later, at a yard sale, we bought an older model electric just for guests, and to have a second cart. It needed wheels. Grandpa ordered those for us, brought them to our home, installed them, and then said, "come by and pay me tomorrow". Great people. Good service. Go there.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

What's the best place to look for a 2-3 year old golf cart? Russ
In my garage.

(Oops, I forgot we aren't doing three word responses to every post.)
Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Gold member
Default Best place to look for USED golf cart?

We got on at A-1 on 441 in Fruitland Park area, very good so far.....
Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
In my garage.

(Oops, I forgot we aren't doing three word responses to every post.)
Thank you much!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Veteran member

This thread good.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Sage

We bought from Jim Followell too redwitch. Great deal. Great guy. Great used cart. Couldn't be happier.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Sage

Cruise the TV neighborhoods - there are always carts with for sale signs.

Southern Cart Works will pick up cart and return in same day (unless they have to wait for parts). Replaced my throttle cable on older Yamaha Gas for $77 in three days.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.