BigBattery 48V Lithium NMC

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2021, 10:08 PM
Gold member
Default BigBattery 48V Lithium NMC

These are modular 48V packs with Samsung batteries. Easy to install. Good price.

48V BDGR KIT GEN-2 - NMC - 96Ah - 4.2kWh - BigBattery.com
Old 08-13-2021, 08:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
These are modular 48V packs with Samsung batteries. Easy to install. Good price.
Looks pretty good - $1,599 all in, including charger, with ten year warranty
Old 08-13-2021, 10:09 AM
Veteran member
Question What to do with old batteries?

Any thoughts on how to get rid of those old heavy batteries? Can you just put them out with the garbage????
Old 08-13-2021, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
Any thoughts on how to get rid of those old heavy batteries? Can you just put them out with the garbage????
The people who pick up your trash can advise you. A scrap place may even buy them from you. Lead does have scrap value.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:31 PM
Sage

Lead acid batteries are nearly 100% recyclable. Do not put them out with the garbage. Try calling some of the auto parts stores to see if they will take them - they take back your old battery when you buy a new one. You, will, of course, need to get them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
Old 08-13-2021, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Looks pretty good - $1,599 all in, including charger, with ten year warranty
The warranty is pro-rated....it's not a full replacement warranty for 10 years. I think it's also to the original owner not to subsequent owners.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-13-2021, 08:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Have you installed? What is your mileage range
Old 08-14-2021, 07:14 AM
Sage

The old ones are worth about $20-$25 ea
Old 08-14-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:

This appears to be a very good deal. I just purchased an Evolution lithium battery kit online and it was for the 48v 110ah system. It came with mounting hardware, charger, power meter, cables. That unit cost me $2400 including tax and shipping. I plan on installing it on my 08 EZ-Go this week along with a new Navitas motor and controller. I'll be the fool doing wheelies and sporting a bright redneck.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

I love the idea of LiOn batteries in a golf cart, and it will be my choice for my next cart if I decide to stay electric. However, I do have concerns about the safe charging of these batteries, especially in a after-market installation. As you probably know, several auto manufacturers have had problems in this area. Recently, Chevy Bolt owners were told to charge their cars outside of their garages due to unexpected fires during charging. These batteries have had similar problems in laptops, cell phones and airplanes (!). I wouldn't want to have to charge my cart in my driveway because of this. Although the charge controller may work perfectly, shorts in the batteries themselves are typically the problem. And once these batteries start burning, there is very little that can stop them. I plan to proceed to my next cart choice with caution. Love LiOn batteries when they work!
Old 08-14-2021, 08:56 AM

Bookmarked it.
Thank You.
It keeps getting better and more affordable all the time.
Game changer for golf carting.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

That’s good that they’re getting cheaper. Eventually these batteries will be put in electric cars, which would be great but can you amagine how much 12 to 15 of these batteries will cost even if they are getting cheaper. Electric cars are going to be expensive & expensive to maintain! Especially when you have to change batteries every 6 or 7 yrs. the manufacturer says every 10 yrs. that’s a good selling point for the Auto makers. I hope I’m wrong, but after 38 yrs. working at Ford I did learn a little bit. But then again that was old school.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Electric cars are going to be expensive & expensive to maintain!
Electric cars are getting cheaper and batteries are getting better. Tesla is working on a million-mile battery to support taxi-like service. Also, electric cars are cheaper to maintain than ICE cars: "According to Consumer Reports, EV drivers pay half as much to repair and maintain their vehicles. Consumers who own an electric car can expect to save an average of $4,600 in repair and maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle compared to a gas-powered car."
Old 08-14-2021, 11:33 AM
Default I too plan to use big battery

Li-Ion vs. the PB-acid
- lighter
- longer lasting
- faster charging
- higher energy density (more range for a given size)
- the Power stays consistent throughout the discharge cycle (speed doesn't drop off as battery charge is used by driving.
- ability to gain back charge w/ regen braking.
- on board charger

I have 2008 Yamaha than needs a lot of updating (seats, lights, brakes, paint job). I plan to add the 144 Ah badger kit, and recycle my still somewhat good trojan PD batteries. I think it may be illegal to dispose of them improperly; I'll take them to a battery store, and at least get the value of the core for them.

Navitas AC motors are the way to go for Yamaha for now. Better performance and higher efficiency than the stock DC motors.
SilverWolf is coming out with an AC motor to fit Yamaha. I'm in contact with them to try to get one for my cart.

I expect my range to be 60-70 miles if I keep the speed and acceleration reasonable.

Maybe I will mount a 48 V mini fridge and a small 48V grill, in case I've ventured too far from home to make it home in time for lunch.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:09 PM

The potential fire hazard with a lithium ion battery golf cart is enough to convince me it’s not wise to purchase and potentially harm my family, home and neighbors.
Closed Thread

Tags
48v, bigbattery, price, good, install

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.