bigger tires

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2016, 03:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
If the tire RPM stays the same, then wouldn't actual speed change be a function Pi *D.

3.14* 10/3.14* 8 ?
No. The ten and eight are wheel diameters not tire diameters.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Geez, the mph or distance traveled in a given amount of time is a function of the tire circumference and RPM. Hence a larger tire will travel a greater distance then a smaller one at the same RPM.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs GolfCart Speedometer View Post
I've installed over 600 speedometers on carts here in the Villages and have observed the following:

If you switch to 205 65-10 tires you will increase your speed by approximately 2.5 mph. If you buy 205 50-10 tires you will not see any speed increase.

Your screwing this guy up by not explaining the aspect ratio difference. A 65 aspect ratio will have a larger overall diameter then a 50 aspect ratio. That's why the 65 travels faster.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Sage

I suspect you have all the information you need by now

If you want another option, consider leaving the standard tires and spending about $225 on a Plumquick Bandit rebuild or new Plumquick motor ($325).

High Speed & Performance Electric Golf Cart Motors & Motor Controllers - Plum Quick Motors

Understand with that motor, you are now not a legal golf cart (by definition) since you can exceed 20 MPH, so you have to understand and accept all of the consequences. It is not my intent to preach, just make you aware. FYI, you will not be the only one out there who can go 23 MPH.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Your screwing this guy up by not explaining the aspect ratio difference. A 65 aspect ratio will have a larger overall diameter then a 50 aspect ratio. That's why the 65 travels faster.
Assuming the tires are the same width.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Cookie View Post
your speed on your speedometer is based on rotation of tire - when you change the size of the tire - the speed on the speedometer changes - NOT the speed of the cart - you are not going any faster - just your speedometer is no longer accurate!
Ya think ?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Eternal Member

Bobs Golf Cart Speeometers is exactly correct. Changing tires and wheels too 205-65-10
On a Club Car will result in a speed increase of 2.5 MPH.
Speedometers are calibrated in MM of the circumference of a wheel and tire will spin at the max that the carts controller will allow, the increase of rubber on the road with the larger assembly will result in the additional 2.5 MPH.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran member

thanks frank
Old 01-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Assuming the tires are the same width.
Width has nothing to do with it. It's the difference in height. Only thing width does is more traction and maybe more torque to turn/spin it. Which with more height on tire the torque going up hill will be less due to the length the tall tire will travel with one rotation. tHis can be measured by marking line on the tire rotate it one revolution and measuring, do the same with the smaller tire. This is the difference in final ratio between the two different height tires.

So the speed cart gains on straight and level may be countered when you climb hills with slower speed and more load on the batteries?

On gas carts the governor will kick in and speed the cart up to almost governed speed within few ten thousands.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Width has nothing to do with it. It's the difference in height. Only thing width does is more traction and maybe more torque to turn/spin it. Which with more height on tire the torque going up hill will be less due to the length the tall tire will travel with one rotation. tHis can be measured by marking line on the tire rotate it one revolution and measuring, do the same with the smaller tire. This is the difference in final ratio between the two different height tires.

So the speed cart gains on straight and level may be countered when you climb hills with slower speed and more load on the batteries?

On gas carts the governor will kick in and speed the cart up to almost governed speed within few ten thousands.
Dude, don't bother. Not too many gear heads living here, they will never understand.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Dude, don't bother. Not too many gear heads living here, they will never understand.
When I rented couple years ago a star cart was finished. It ran right at 20 MPH. I noticed high low switch on the dash which I thought was for headlights? Wrong! It was like over drive or another gear. The cart took off from 20 mph up to at least 30 mph. No this wasn't LSV. I guess star had some wiring that threw more volts to the motor? Was nice option, but I only used it once when I discovered it. 20 was plenty fast enough for me compared to life style cart that could verily break 16.

Something else I noticed on the star? Tires had severe in and outside wear on the back?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

As has been pointed out, the increase in speed is minimal. Somewhere around 2 mph. But you will get a smoother ride. Small bumps are not felt as much with the larger tires.

Make sure that you have enough clearance. With larger tires you may experience the tire hitting the wheel well when you hit bumps. You may need to lift the cart a bit.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
When I rented couple years ago a star cart was finished. It ran right at 20 MPH. I noticed high low switch on the dash which I thought was for headlights? Wrong! It was like over drive or another gear. The cart took off from 20 mph up to at least 30 mph. No this wasn't LSV. I guess star had some wiring that threw more volts to the motor? Was nice option, but I only used it once when I discovered it. 20 was plenty fast enough for me compared to life style cart that could verily break 16.

Something else I noticed on the star? Tires had severe in and outside wear on the back?

The switch probably killed half the motor poles thereby increasing your speed. A lot cheaper then an overdrive.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:16 AM
Veteran member
Default Cheap, accurate speedometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Cookie View Post
your speed on your speedometer is based on rotation of tire - when you change the size of the tire - the speed on the speedometer changes - NOT the speed of the cart - you are not going any faster - just your speedometer is no longer accurate!
A very cheap, easy solution to this problem is to buy a used smartphone (often can be found for $10-15), get a good speedometer app, and your speed will be dead accurate from the GPS system. The app I got also shows direction, odometer, trip meter, and time of day. There are cell phone mounts for golf carts on Amazon and Ebay that are cheap. I probably get 10 trips to a charge.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
A very cheap, easy solution to this problem is to buy a used smartphone (often can be found for $10-15), get a good speedometer app, and your speed will be dead accurate from the GPS system. The app I got also shows direction, odometer, trip meter, and time of day. There are cell phone mounts for golf carts on Amazon and Ebay that are cheap. I probably get 10 trips to a charge.
What app do you have? I'm looking for an app that tells me when I'm speeding.
Closed Thread

Tags
tires, inche, mph, put, thanksgcgcgc, 22-23, club, car, ele, with, bigger, soooo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.