Buying a golf car

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 AM
Default Buying a golf car

Is buying a golf car like buying a regular car? Can you negotiate price? New or used? Gas or elec?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Used, you should be able to negotiate if buying from an individual, from one of the local dealers you're SOL. The dealers don't negotiate much at all new or used, they know they have a captive and willing consumer. The only place you may find some wiggle room is if you are doing a bunch of add-ons then you may get a small discount.

We purchased a "reconditioned" aka used, 2011 Yamaha in 2014 from Villages Discount Golf Carts and have had no problems and great service from them. The plus side of new is they are MUCH quieter and smoother riding. But they are going to be more expensive. If you know you're going to use it a lot, full time and not a snow bird, then you might as well pony up and get a new one with all the bells and whistles you want and enjoy the more comfortable ride.

The Gas/Electric issue is a long standing discussion and you will find strong opinions for both. The biggest advantage I can argue for gas is that when you significant other forgets to gas it up or recharge it and they/you get stranded, it's a lot easier to bring a gallon of gas out to a stranded cart than find a way to charge an empty battery.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

If you want a new one, talk to David at Carts and Clubs in Ocala (352.351.2278); you will save money and get more add-ons by buying from them. Full disclosure, I bought my '15 from them and my wife is going to get her '17 there.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrice View Post
Is buying a golf car like buying a regular car? Can you negotiate price? New or used? Gas or elec?
Anything that is for sale is negotiable.

It may not always work, but it doesn't cost anything to try!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Excellent advice in my opinion from Golfwingnut and others.

When we moved here almost ten years ago, we bought a four seater ( facing forward) from another villager. It was a few years old at the time.

Since we both golfed, we found we needed a second golf cart so my husband bought a used Par Car that he has since sold and bought a new gas Club Car from The Villages Golf Cart Store. We enjoy using both of them when we have company because we can haul around six folks. If you see a red four seater with Ohio State on the front, please wave.

Our older gas Yamaha is still heading forward without any noticeable problems. They are remarkably dependable.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_5360.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	68652  
Old 05-18-2017, 12:02 PM

just remember one thing a gas powered cart is nothing more than a riding lawn mower without a blade! almost 50 miles on my electric cart on a charge no smell , quiet and plug it in every night zero hassle but to each his own!
Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Sage

We love our gas cart, although louder we don't have to worry about batteries. We have no smell. We fill it up with gas once a month. It is a 2010 and has almost 18,000 miles on it and our only maintenance is a once a year tune-up and a spark plug here and there.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

So there's a difference in opinion, on whether a gas cart or an electric one...is better?

Who would've thunk it?

Old 05-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran member

oh boy ,you said the gas vs ele...................here we go..............
Old 05-19-2017, 06:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
oh boy ,you said the gas vs ele...................here we go..............
HA HA, you know it had to happen.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When you see a cart that is stranded somewhere, a cart that has run out of juice somewhere, anywhere in The Villages, it is almost always an electric cart.

Although every single person who is promoting saving the environment by using an electric cart owns a gas driven car.

I would choose a gas cart any day of the week because I don't want to walk home and replacing batteries every four years is expensive, especially when they are multiples.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I own a gas 4 seater and an electric 2 seater. The electric cart is my go to choice on the golf courses because it's quiet. Some of the courses here have beautiful scenery, and I enjoy the silence when I'm not swearing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I own a gas 4 seater and an electric 2 seater. The electric cart is my go to choice on the golf courses because it's quiet. Some of the courses here have beautiful scenery, and I enjoy the silence when I'm not swearing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When you see a cart that is stranded somewhere, a cart that has run out of juice somewhere, anywhere in The Villages, it is almost always an electric cart.

Although every single person who is promoting saving the environment by using an electric cart owns a gas driven car.

I would choose a gas cart any day of the week because I don't want to walk home and replacing batteries every four years is expensive, especially when they are multiples.
Funny you should mention this, I came upon a cart on the mmp parallel to 466a today and he was out of battery power; offered to give him a ride but he had already called someone for help. I've came upon several pullovers in the last two years and all of them have been electric.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
We love our gas cart, although louder we don't have to worry about batteries. We have no smell. We fill it up with gas once a month. It is a 2010 and has almost 18,000 miles on it and our only maintenance is a once a year tune-up and a spark plug here and there.

You have no smell because you are NOT WALKING BEHIND IT! Try walking through one of the tunnels after a gaggle of stinkers pass through.

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing against gas carts. But they all stink if you are behind the ass end of one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, buying, golf, elec, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.