buying golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 AM
Gold member

Gas carts suck in every way except for distance per charge and charge times. I highly recommend them
Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglittler View Post
I didn't mean to start a controversy(:-) I have an electric cart in a golf community I live in here in CA (we're considering moving to the Villages) and it's fine because we don't travel long distances but after visiting The Villages I have a feeling we'll be traveling a lot further there. Also, the batteries only last 4 to 5 yrs. and are around $1000 to replace and a pain to constantly charge. Does anyone know what the maintenance issues are for the average gas engine cart? Also, are they really loud, compared to the quiet-tech?
The quiet carts claim to be <1 decibel louder than electric. They are definitely refreshingly quiet but still make sounds. All gas carts are not created equal, even in the same make (i.e. Yamaha). My first gas cart was a club car and was significantly louder than my 2014 EFI Yamaha. But, my Yamaha is significantly quieter than the 2011 Yamaha (non-EFI) gas that my parents own too. "Really loud" is a relative term based on personal tolerance. For me, none of them are "too loud", but I did find myself pleased that I don't get a fuel smell when riding my EFI cart and get off the cart feeling like I have that smell stuck to me, like I have in the past with older, non-FI carts. When I took my cart in for service, they gave me a brand new quiet tech loaner. It was nice but I did not find it different enough to feel like I wanted to sell or trade my cart to get one right away.

This thread shouldn't be about what is right or wrong, rather it should be about what is right for you. Electric is obviously fine for some people and there is nothing wrong with that. They are probably slightly cheaper to get into initially and they are the quietest option. Over time, they will cost more due to the cost of batteries. One poster mentioned batteries lasting 10 years and that's an anomaly and not a basis for a realistic expectation. As with virtually anything that takes batteries, the more you use them, the more they degrade over time. But, if they start out with a range of 50 miles and you only ever do 20 miles between charges, maybe it's not an issue when that 50 mile range goes to 40, then 30, etc. They are not maintenance free either. Electric carts still have moving parts and should be serviced from time to time. Water levels in batteries should be checked and topped off when needed - probably about as often as you'd be lifting the seat to add more gas in a gas cart.

Instead of focusing on which one is the outright winner, just consider the facts and your intended use of the cart and determine which one is best for you.

I think most villagers have their carts serviced once a year. There is a reasonable fee for that. Some have someone come right to their home to do it, and some do it themselves.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

I am in the process of buying. I chose the gas (Yamaha Quiet-Tech). My friends have electric, and the smoothness and quietness is awesome. For me, the Quiet-Tech is quiet enough, and I am not very good about things like remembering to check and replenish water in batteries. I am pretty good about not running out of gas.

If/when Mrs. Laker decides she wants a cart, it will likely be electric. She's very good about remembering to remind me to do things like check and replenish the water in her cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, gas, electric, cart, carts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.