BYD Lithium Blade Cells for Techies

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2022, 01:38 PM
Gold member
Default BYD Lithium Blade Cells for Techies

Probably Ideal for golf cart lithium conversion.

The BYD Blade Battery Evaluated: The Hype is Real (Mostly) - YouTube

Good price.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Probably Ideal for golf cart lithium conversion.

The BYD Blade Battery Evaluated: The Hype is Real (Mostly) - YouTube

Good price.
Yeah!! $65 per KWh vs $100 is a big advantage, even if they are a little larger or heavier than the cells.

Would be good to know if the current flow is comparable (peak and continuous); and usable capacity vs. real capacity.

Final concern would be battery life vs cells, (I know that they typical cells need to be closely matched for voltage and use a BMS to balance the current to keep the voltages aligned. Wonder if the blades need the same BMS (maybe that can offset some of the weight disadvantage).

For BEV (cars), maybe the blade would require less cooling, so that could save system weight / volume / cost.

Side topic - I wonder if using a super capacitor would provide peak current for accel to alleviate battery heat, then get recharged during regen, or cruise??

Great video - who needs live teachers anymore...
Old 01-28-2022, 03:33 PM
Gold member

The LFP battery patents are going to expire this year so maybe NAFTA LFP manufacturing in the near future.
Buying from China is now a headache.

LFP chemistry is very robust and safe with large cycle life at 10-90% but the tradeoff is energy density which is just fine for golf cart applications. Placing 16 blades in series is an ideal golf cart solution...Maybe even 16s2p at that price! I suspect any LFP BMS will work just fine. Peak current is a concern...I want to program my cart to pull wheelies

The Internet is a fascinating virtual brain extender...And yet most people still sit in front of their Idiot Box all day being programmed with blatant mindless stupidities
Closed Thread

Tags
lithium, byd, blade, cells, techies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.