Camber on 2017 Yamaha Quiet Tech cart

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage

What was the original toe-in (or toe-out)? What is different about the 2017 spindles? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
Both the 2015 Yamaha carts that we have were unstable and darted at speed with clubs and 2 adults. I reset the toe to 1/8 and it greatly helped one of them. My cart was still a little unstable after setting the toe so I changed the front spindles out to 2017 spindles and it fixed the problem. I believe that Yamaha started offering factory high speed gears in 2017 and the added camber was to help with the wandering or darting at higher speeds. JMHO
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 AM

The added camber is built into the 2017 spindles. I don't remember what the original toe was but in about 250 hours of use the front tires were over 1/2 worn. I rotated them to the rear and see very little wear on the fronts now after another 200 hours of service which tells me the toe was excessive whether the toe was in or out.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
On my 2014 Yamaha, as it came from the dealer, I measured 1/16" toe-in. I would optimistically estimate the precision of my measurement at +/- 1/16". Therefore, the actual toe-in is probably between 0" and 1/8". This is apparently a little bit outside the recommended range of 1/8" to 1/4" toe-in. The tires are wearing evenly so I don't plan on adjusting it.
biker1, how do you measure the toe-in with such precision? I would like to be able to check that on our carts. Is there a special tool?
Old 02-15-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
What is different about the 2017 spindles? Thanks.

There is none.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:11 AM
Sage

Take a look at the video in post #3. There will be a bit of slop in the measurements ;-). It will be easier with 2 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
biker1, how do you measure the toe-in with such precision? I would like to be able to check that on our carts. Is there a special tool?
Old 02-16-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
There is none.
You are correct. I replaced the and strut mount as an assembly (which the spindle attaches to) and the camber difference is in the bracket or mount not the spindle itself. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran member

I appreciate all of your responses. For some strange reason I was unable to get to TOTV until I sent them my IP address which I did. As of today I am back. To date I have been told that there is nothing that can be done but I'm not done as of yet. I suggested new shocks to no avail. I am taking it to a different dealer this Thursday and I'll see what happens there. Even if my cart was built this way it is a Yamaha problem (well, actually it is currently my problem ) as no owner should have to accept a situation that wears out their tires excessively fast. I'll update ASA I have any additional information.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
I appreciate all of your responses. For some strange reason I was unable to get to TOTV until I sent them my IP address which I did. As of today I am back. To date I have been told that there is nothing that can be done but I'm not done as of yet. I suggested new shocks to no avail. I am taking it to a different dealer this Thursday and I'll see what happens there. Even if my cart was built this way it is a Yamaha problem (well, actually it is currently my problem ) as no owner should have to accept a situation that wears out their tires excessively fast. I'll update ASA I have any additional information.
I had a 2008 Yamaha with the same problem. After no cure from Yamaha, the villages used a sledge hammer to straighten the camber and the cart is still running strong and straight today.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:45 PM

As I stated before, some of the front shocks were welded incorrectly. Yamaha knows this and they should just change them out, no questions asked, its common knowledge in the industry
Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Veteran member

My situation has been satisfactorily resolved. Yamaha had me take it to two dealers. In the end Carts and Clubs, where I purchased the cart, replaced my shocks with 2015 shocks, which has been done with many other carts at The Villages Carts. I paid nothing. I understand that Yamaha pays for the shocks and the dealer eats the labor. In any case, it was handled professionally and I am quite happy. Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=tedquick;1520935]My situation has been satisfactorily resolved. Yamaha had me take it to two dealers. In the end Carts and Clubs, where I purchased the cart, replaced my shocks with 2015 shocks, which has been done with many other carts at The Villages Carts. I paid nothing. I understand that Yamaha pays for the shocks and the dealer eats the labor. In any case, it was handled professionally and I am quite happy. Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas.[/QUOTE

Did the replacement shocks make the ride significantly stiffer?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=bill50;1520940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
My situation has been satisfactorily resolved. Yamaha had me take it to two dealers. In the end Carts and Clubs, where I purchased the cart, replaced my shocks with 2015 shocks, which has been done with many other carts at The Villages Carts. I paid nothing. I understand that Yamaha pays for the shocks and the dealer eats the labor. In any case, it was handled professionally and I am quite happy. Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas.[/QUOTE

Did the replacement shocks make the ride significantly stiffer?
They did not!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:10 PM

How long ago did they replace your struts Ted? I've had the same problem. Went through a set of radials in 6000 miles on my 2017, when they should last 15 to 20. They are scheduled to replace the struts with 2016 struts next week. Hope that fixes the problem.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Default Confusion with replacement shocks

I have a 2008 with the camber problem. In the posts, several different model year shocks are mentioned. Also, I understand there is a difference between shocks for gas models and those for electrical models.
Would appreciate it if some of the 'posters' would provide the part numbers listed on their repair orders.
This would be very helpful. I am not looking for anything free from dealer or Yamaha. After-all, the golf cart is 10 years old. THANKS!
Closed Thread

Tags
side, perpendicular, camber, yamaha, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.