Golf Cart Battery Controller

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Gold member
Default Golf Cart Battery Controller

Club Car Precedent

Just had batteries replaced and now the charger will not turn on. Place that replaced batteries say it is probably the controller. Seems an odd coincidence that this failed the day the batteries were replaced. Just looking to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Sage
Default Maybe OBC?

Alan is not a professional golf cart fixer, caveat reader

Is it possible they are blaming the OBC (On Board Computer)? Strange anyone would suspect the controller before the OBC or charger relay. You can certainly try to reset the OBC to see if it helps. Here is a link, see post #2...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...er-system.html
Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Have you ruled out the breaker on the charger??
Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmeadow View Post
Good question, I made the assumption BogeyBoy had testing the outlet. We know what happenes when one assumes
Old 01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Default Controller

My batteries on a Precident went bad less that three years after purchase, due to a bad controller. The the four year warrenty on the cart paid to replaced the controller and batteries.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmeadow View Post
Yes I ruled out the breaker on the charger and went one step further, borrowed a neighbors which also did not work. (Works fine on his cart.)

After just spending big bucks on the batteries I'd hate to have to buy a controller. Unfortunately it is well out of warranty.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:54 AM
Sage
Default Good test

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
Yes I ruled out the breaker on the charger and went one step further, borrowed a neighbors which also did not work. (Works fine on his cart.)

After just spending big bucks on the batteries I'd hate to have to buy a controller. Unfortunately it is well out of warranty.
Alan is not a cart professional, but has fixed a charger or two.

I really do not believe the controller is involved with the charge circuit. The reason for my first post is to ask if folks are using the word controller instead of computer. The on board computer does impact the charge circuit.

I assume you are sure the AC outlet has power by plugging in something else, e.g., a light or drill. Assuming the AC outlet is good, trying another charger is a good test. Based on your results, the issue is in the charge circuit of the cart not the charger.

One test: unplug the charger from the AC outlet and DC outlet. Plug in the DC outlet only to the cart, wait 2 - 15 seconds, do you hear anything? There should be an audible click. Is there? I am guessing there will not be.

If it were me, I would::
  1. check connections in the charge circuit, any loose connections, I cannot imagine the battery installers mesed up, but s**t happens. red wire from recepticle on cart to + of first battery in pack.
  2. Does the pack have 36 volts or more (assume 48 volt cart)? If the charge of the pack is too low the charger will not start.
  3. take cart out for 500 yard drive, try charger,
  4. reset OBC, take a 500 yard ride, try charger. If resetting the OBC per my previous post does not fix it then we need a voltmeter.

I can send some test proecdures if you have a voltmeter and want a DIY project. I do not want to waste your time if you not interested.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Sage
Default Always curious what happens in these threads

I was just wondering how you made out?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.