Can't reach the pedals

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,177 Times in 834 Posts
Default Can't reach the pedals

DW is slightly under 5 ft tall. In searching for a new/renewed cart we are trying to find something that will allow her to sit comfortably and still reach the pedals. Dealers suggest using a pillow for some back support and sit forward on the edge of the seat. That position is both tiring and potentially risky as the arm supports don't extend. I saw a parcar that had adjustable seats like in your car but there were aspects of the parcar that made it less desirable. Anyone have a better idea or know anyone who does a seat conversion?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Don't know where my friend got them, but she had "extensions" on the pedals themselves. I once asked her how safe she felt with these and she said no problem at all -- the block-like extensions have ribbing on them so her feet don't slip and slide over the pedals and lock into place (also makes them relatively easy to remove for a longer-legged driver). Unfortunately, she's deceased so I can't ask her where she got them or the name of the company.

Another possible alternative would be to get the handicapped hand-controls installed.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 AM
Send a message via ICQ to dpingram

Try this site... don't know anything about it just did a search
www.pedal-extensions.com
Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

My wife is also height impaired. (I like it that way...she makes me look tall)
She didn't like the idea of using a pillow either.
We found a lumbar support at the dollar store next to Walmart on 441 behind Sonic. It's a mesh support with a wire frame with elastic straps. We used the elastic straps to hold a pillow in place. It's perfect for her. When it's not in use, we keep it in the basket behind the seat.
We've seen the same support at other stores for around $5...look for it at the $ store. Can't beat the price!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
DW is slightly under 5 ft tall. In searching for a new/renewed cart we are trying to find something that will allow her to sit comfortably and still reach the pedals. Dealers suggest using a pillow for some back support and sit forward on the edge of the seat. That position is both tiring and potentially risky as the arm supports don't extend. I saw a parcar that had adjustable seats like in your car but there were aspects of the parcar that made it less desirable. Anyone have a better idea or know anyone who does a seat conversion?
I am just 5' and have a Yamaha cart with a back rest that was ordered from the dealer and I am quite comfortable and feel quite save when driving.
Why don't you go to the Villages Cart Store and give it a test drive.

Last edited by Whalen; 01-27-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Gold member

http://www.gatormoto.com/index.cfm?a...ils&ItemID=128
Old 01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Gold member

I am 5' 3" and I have what they call the ultimate seat and I can now reach the pedals. Before I was using a pillow and not the most comfortable way to drive. You can try the seats at most of the golf cart stores, ours was at Villages Golf Carts.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Sage

My wife, AKA Stretch, is also under the 5' mark. She had trouble with the pedals and also with the hinge in the windshield being in her line of vision. She discovered the Polaris windshield hinge was perfect, and the seatback slides forward about 6" so she can reach the pedals.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Are those for a golf cart? I looked at the photos and can't figure them out!

Bill
Old 01-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Gold member

Bill-n-Brillo,

I think they are made for any vehicle with a bar type of pedal support. You would flip it forward for extension and back for normal use. I just Googled "golf cart pedal extensions" and found several vendors that sell similar devices.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Default Carts and Clubs of Bellevue

We have a newer Yamaha cart purchased at Carts and Clubs and the dealer had configured a REMOVABLE gas pedal for the carts that slips on and off. It is very secure and works perfect for my 4'10" wife. The break pedal did not seem to need it on our model.

Be safe!

Mallory Square, Village of Hadley and now Gilchrist!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.