Question about Street Legal Access ...

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran member
Default Question about Street Legal Access ...

If one had a street legal golf cart would it be possible to (legally) get to the shopping east of Rolling Acres / south of 441?

Thanks.

kathy
Old 06-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
If one had a street legal golf cart would it be possible to (legally) get to the shopping east of Rolling Acres / south of 441?

Thanks.

kathy
Probably not. If you mean the one with the Starbucks. https://www.starbucks.com/store-loca...ke-fl-32159-us

Quote:
US 441 & Rolling Acres
Open until 9:00 PM

874 N. Hwy 27/441
Lady Lake, FL 32159
Old 06-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Yes, that is the shopping area I am referring to.

k.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, that is the shopping area I am referring to.

k.
There are no tunnels nor bridges that I know of that could get you there and speed limits on the streets you would need to cross are 35 mph or above as far as I know? Five things you need to know about Florida's Golf Cart Laws
Old 06-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I am sure I have never seen a golf cart at that shopping center.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:

Thanks.

kathy
It's my understanding that street legal can drive on 35 mph roads, but I've been wrong b4 .
Old 06-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

100% yes you can. You can also cross 441 on Rolling Acres there and anywhere where the street you are crossing on is 35 or less on BOTH sides of the highway. We regularly go to Sam’s, Home Depot and the post office on CR25 as well. Also at Almeida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 06-18-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
There are no tunnels nor bridges that I know of that could get you there and speed limits on the streets you would need to cross are 35 mph or above as far as I know? Five things you need to know about Florida's Golf Cart Laws

They are not above 35 there and if they were you can still CROSS them. Even 466A after Powell and 301 for a number of miles are LSV/SL legal.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
100% yes you can. You can also cross 441 on Rolling Acres there and anywhere where the street you are crossing on is 35 or less on BOTH sides of the highway. We regularly go to Sam’s, Home Depot and the post office on CR25 as well. Also at Almeida.

Thanks, Ed!

k.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Sage

JUST BE CAREFUL!

Old 06-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
JUST BE CAREFUL!

Old 06-18-2019, 02:32 PM

I don’t think he’s right.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
I don’t think he’s right.
I would call the Lady Lake PD if I were you. Police - Lady Lake

Or e-mail them so you have a record of making contact.

There might be some Lady Lake City Ordinances in play.

I do not recall ever seeing gold carts in that shopping center. The one just north across from Rolling Acres. Yes.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Suggest you call Lady Lake Police and Sumter County Sheriff. While a street legal golf cart can operate on 35 mph streets, it is up to local authorities (city, county) to decide where golf carts are legally authorized, and this includes street legal. Unless Lady Lake has changed, the Target parking lot is the end of the road for all golf carts (this includes Home Depot and Sam’s). Just because someone has done something doesn’t necessarily make it legal.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-18-2019, 11:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Suggest you call Lady Lake Police and Sumter County Sheriff. While a street legal golf cart can operate on 35 mph streets, it is up to local authorities (city, county) to decide where golf carts are legally authorized, and this includes street legal. Unless Lady Lake has changed, the Target parking lot is the end of the road for all golf carts (this includes Home Depot and Sam’s). Just because someone has done something doesn’t necessarily make it legal.
You arewrong wrong and wrong again. It is legal and it has been discussed with Sumter County and Lady Lake PD. This has been asked and discussed multiple times here and those who usually reply are answering based only on their assumption or what they "think" it to be. We had reps of Sumter County PD at our meeting as well as have spoken with Lady lake PD. I personally spoke with a cop hiding on Morse as well as a cop sitting in the Target Lot eating donuts and they agreed. While some of the lower rank patrol officers may not be fully aware of the relevant law if you contact one of the LT's or Captains they will confirm. If you get ticketed you will win in court with the proper regs in your possession. Out club which has numerous SL Golf carts (myself included) had reps at a meeting over a year ago and one of them didn't think so and checked with a SC Sheriff LT and he stated it was legal.

Here is a relevant email with confirmation by a local LT. Some member names removed for privacy as I was not given permission to print this. For those who may not know, a Low Speed Vehicle AKA LSV is a street legal golf cart.

Lt Siemer mentioned below is the Sumter County Sheriff district commander for The Villages.

YES, this can be overridden by a local ordinance but that is NOT the case here in The Villages. Even a REGULAR GC can cross a highway (if it is UNDER 45MPH) but the "catch" is there must be a golf cart permitted path at both sides where you cross so you cannot drive across Morse or BV even though it is only 35mph (but an LSV can). For those non-believers I don't know what to say other than: DO you have a street legal golf cart and if not where did you get your information?

Sent: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 2:35 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Crosssing highways

At the most recent meeting of the club, Mark Gallo stated that street-legal golf carts could not cross highways where the speed limit was greater than 45 MPH. We did not believe that to be true, and sent Mark what we believed were the relevant Florida statutes. We asked him to confirm with Lt. Siemer of Sumter County Sherrif's Office. I received the following e-mail today:

" xxxxxx, I finally got your answer from Lt. Siemer. Yes, it was determined that there was confusion within all Law Enforcement agencies in The Villages over LSV 45 mph crossings but it stemmed from an amendment put out several years ago. Bottom-line is LSVs can cross a major roadway at a controlled crossing point, such as an intersection."

So the answer is yes, street-legal carts can cross a highway, regardless of the posted speed limit on that highway, so long as there is a street-legal road available to you after you have crossed the highway. Carts that are not street-legal cannot cross highways unless there is an "official traffic control device" at that crossing, and even then, the maximum speed for the crossing highway cannot exceed 45 MPH.

For your information, here are the pertinent Florida statutes:
316.2126 Authorized use of golf carts, low-speed vehicles, and utility vehicles.—
(1) In addition to the powers granted by ss. 316.212 and 316.2125, municipalities are authorized to use golf carts and utility vehicles, as defined in s. 320.01, upon any state, county, or municipal roads located within the corporate limits of such municipalities, subject to the following conditions:
(a) Golf carts and utility vehicles must comply with the operational and safety requirements in ss. 316.212 and 316.2125, and with any more restrictive ordinances enacted by the local governmental entity pursuant to s. 316.212(8), and shall be operated only by municipal employees for municipal purposes, including, but not limited to, police patrol, traffic enforcement, and inspection of public facilities.
(b) In addition to the safety equipment required in s. 316.212(6) and any more restrictive safety equipment required by the local governmental entity pursuant to s. 316.212(8), such golf carts and utility vehicles must be equipped with sufficient lighting and turn signal equipment.
(c) Golf carts and utility vehicles may be operated only on state roads that have a posted speed limit of 30 miles per hour or less.
(d) Golf carts and utility vehicles may cross a portion of the State Highway System which has a posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour or less only at an intersection with an official traffic control device.
(e) Golf carts and utility vehicles may operate on sidewalks adjacent to state highways only if such golf carts and utility vehicles yield to pedestrians and if the sidewalks are at least 5 feet wide.

316.2122 Operation of a low-speed vehicle or mini truck on certain roadways.—The operation of a low-speed vehicle as defined in s. 320.01 or a mini truck as defined in s. 320.01 on any road is authorized with the following restrictions:
(1) A low-speed vehicle [LSV or street legal golf cart] or mini truck may be operated only on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle or mini truck from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
(2) A low-speed vehicle must be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, taillamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, seat belts, and vehicle identification numbers.
(3) A low-speed vehicle or mini truck must be registered and insured in accordance with s. 320.02 and titled pursuant to chapter 319.
(4) Any person operating a low-speed vehicle or mini truck must have in his or her possession a valid driver license.
(5) A county or municipality may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if the governing body of the county or municipality determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
(6) The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if it determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 06-18-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
legal, street, east, shopping, legally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.