Carts, Maintance of gas vs electric

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Sage
Question Carts, Maintance of gas vs electric

Planning on moving there in a while and can't determine which is the least expensive to maintain.
I thought I liked electric but was told the batteries needed to be replaced after several years at a cost of maybe $600. Heard you can't really replace only one without the others going bad.
Don't really like the maintance of gas having to do oil changes, air filter changes and tune-ups. Not to mention buying gas.

I'm sure this subject has been visited many times but I'm new to this forum and would like input from folks that have experienced both types of carts.
I like the idea of just simply plugging in the cart at night but would appreciate opinions form experienced board members.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

gonna be 50-50, les
everyone has their preference
you can count on that
I vote electric
Old 02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Platinum member

I have an electric and I have had my batteries for four years now and they don't show any sign of deterioration at all. I did replace one of the batteries after the first year because it went bad. The new battery worked fine with the older ones and it is still in there. I think you can get lead acid batteries in the $50 range and the newer gel filled about $15-$20 more. I think your estimate of $600 for a battery change out is a bit high. I've thought about getting a gas cart because of the size of TV but I can still get to any course, play 18 holes and have enough juice to get back home. As far as maintenance, I have mine lubed about once a year, do it myself in about 5 minutes... get in and drive it... period. In my opinion, and likeJohnN said, everybody will have one, gas carts stink if you follow them, and they are noisy. On the other hand, they tend to be faster and it is no big deal if you do run out of gas. If I do anything, I may get an old used gas cart for a spare along with my electric. But I will always have an electric. There are other threads on this subject if you search "golf carts".

Last edited by Ooper; 02-07-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have electric and love them, would never buy gas, too stinky and noisy, but as others have said to each his own....GN
Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I have electric and love them, would never buy gas, too stinky and noisy, but as others have said to each his own....GN

Another vote for electric! I agree with Golfnut, gas carts are too stinky and noisy.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

We have an electric golf cart and was purchased, reconditioned, in 2002. This is the first year the batteries went dead and was brought in for replacements and overhaul. It also needed a computer replacement plus a few other minor things for a total of $1200 which I felt was a pretty good price for all of the free seven years of use. It's working fine now and has lots of mileage left in it. Electric is the way to go. CART WORLD GOLF CARTS IN LADY LAKE FL is the best to deal with.They do not nickle and dime you nor push for service. When hub first called them, they worked with him in an attempt to bring back some life to the batteries for which we were so very pleased as he could have pushed the need to replace the batteries without trying to rejuvinate them. He said sometimes it works and sometimes not.

When we first got the cart, the charger dropped on the cement garage floor and looked pretty beat up, so we took it to Cart World; they opened it up and checked it all out and said nothing was damaged inside and it's fine; and they didn't charge us a cent for that service. Good business practice and we left very impressed with this place as he could have told us the charger was too damaged and we would need to buy a new one, but the man was honorable and ethical. I like that and he's got our business, for sure.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney

Last edited by barb1191; 02-07-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Veteran member

Electric gets my vote! I have electric Club Car and love it. Gas stinks (big time) and makes a lot of noise. Gas may be a bit faster up hill, but I wouldn't want one for love nor money.
I get to any course I want...and back without a problem. Just have to make sure you take care of the batteries, and they'll take care of you. Check water level periodically and add as necessary.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

So far, most seem to favor electric (as I do) but here's a thought. When you get here, rent one of each type for a week or so and make your own decision. The rental will cost you a few bucks but you get a relatively cheap way to try out both types for awhile and then decide which you like best.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I own one of each and each has it's pros and cons. Gas does not stink if you run premium fuel only. I know 3 others besides myself who do this and there is a significant difference in the smell. Noise is less if you add a tail pipe extender. (cost is $45) But still makes more noise than electric. They are faster, especially up any hill. (slight incline impacts electric) And they will travel any distance you need, even at night running the lights. Electric is quiet, easy to use, less maintenance and environmental friendly. Until you replace the batteries. Cost of a new set of batteries is $639 (call every cart service place and ask, I have) and needs to be done about every 4 to 5 years. And yes, someone will always say "I got 7 years out of mine", but ask any dealer and they will tell you 5 years and they are selling carts. Sam's Club has them for about $550 but you need to do the work yourself. With electric you need to manage your distance and consider day vs night driving.

Cost to operate is about the same. The free use statement above is just not true. Electricity does cost money when you plug it in. Any analysis I have seen between cost to operate per mile when you consider gas, batteries, electricity, maintenance, and ALL expenses, they are the same.

There are two recommendations I would give you. If you buy electric, get a Club Car, if you buy gas get a Yamaha. They each seem to make the best cart in those modes. But renting and trying them for yourself is a great suggestion.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post

There are two recommendations I would give you. If you buy electric, get a Club Car, if you buy gas get a Yamaha. They each seem to make the best cart in those modes.
Each to his own. My vote would be for a Columbia Par Car .. electric.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hi got a question where can you get the tail pipe extension put on in TV???Thanks Mary
email shwedwards@comcast.net
cell 352-603-5333
Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Most of the golf cart service people will do it. The Villages golf cart service is where I got mine as I had it in for something else being fixed under warrenty so had them do that at the same time. I have not searched, but my guess is you could find it online at TNTgolf or some place like that and install it yourself.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 PM

We have only seen where you can rent gas carts. Where can we rent an electric?

We have been asking ourselves this question - and would like to rent an electric.

Thanks,
Old 02-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyblue View Post
We have only seen where you can rent gas carts. Where can we rent an electric?

We have been asking ourselves this question - and would like to rent an electric.

Thanks,
Try Jim Followell (259-7525). He rents electric.

Last edited by SteveFromNY; 02-08-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I own one of each and each has it's pros and cons. Gas does not stink if you run premium fuel only. I know 3 others besides myself who do this and there is a significant difference in the smell. Noise is less if you add a tail pipe extender. (cost is $45) But still makes more noise than electric. They are faster, especially up any hill. (slight incline impacts electric) And they will travel any distance you need, even at night running the lights. Electric is quiet, easy to use, less maintenance and environmental friendly. Until you replace the batteries. Cost of a new set of batteries is $639 (call every cart service place and ask, I have) and needs to be done about every 4 to 5 years. And yes, someone will always say "I got 7 years out of mine", but ask any dealer and they will tell you 5 years and they are selling carts. Sam's Club has them for about $550 but you need to do the work yourself. With electric you need to manage your distance and consider day vs night driving.

Cost to operate is about the same. The free use statement above is just not true. Electricity does cost money when you plug it in. Any analysis I have seen between cost to operate per mile when you consider gas, batteries, electricity, maintenance, and ALL expenses, they are the same.

There are two recommendations I would give you. If you buy electric, get a Club Car, if you buy gas get a Yamaha. They each seem to make the best cart in those modes. But renting and trying them for yourself is a great suggestion.

With all due respect, I guess that we will agree to disagree.

Bottom line; IMO, I would prefer to plug the cart into a charger rather than to buy gas for it, as needed. The television and refrigerator (to name a few electrical appliances) use a lot of electricity, yet hardly as much as gas costs these days to run anything, as well as the maintenance on a gas cart.

My "free use" statement IS true to me as I feel if I'm not filling a gas tank periodically, and the maintenance for seven years on the cart was nil, I'm not shelling out $$$$; I have never seen any significant increase in my electric bill when here as a snowbird and using the cart, compared to when not here and the cart unplugged. At the price of premium gas today, I much prefer to plug in my cart to an electrical outlet; big difference!!

A dealer may tell you four or five years, of course.....because they want to sell to you again in that time span. My cart is SEVEN years with me and I purchased it reconditioned, and it's got a lot of life left in it, for sure!! Do you believe everything the dealers tell you? Hmmmm, ask the users what their lifespan is on a cart, not the dealers!!

It's all a matter of choice, yes? I do resent being accused of saying something is not true, however.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney

Last edited by barb1191; 02-08-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.