Cracked golf cart windshield

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Default Cracked golf cart windshield

Is there any way I can repair a small crack in my acrylic windshield. Is there any way I can repair it myself. It is not in my sight line, I would just like it protected
Old 09-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclaughlin View Post
Is there any way I can repair a small crack in my acrylic windshield. Is there any way I can repair it myself. It is not in my sight line, I would just like it protected
My experience with a cracked golf cart windscreen has been that that crack will only get worse because of the vibrations caused by the carts operation. You can contact one of the golf cart dealers and ask their service department, but I don't think there is a product out there that will seal the crack. Super Glue? You might try it. But I think the crack will open up again in time. The last time I replace a windscreen (windshield) it was about $110.00 (untinted).
Old 09-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
I've had good results by drilling a hole a little larger than the crack width at the end of the crack which prevents it from cracking further. Usually about 3/16" drill.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have a windshield repair kit that might work, but these windshields are typically Plexiglas, and acetone will usually fix a crack. I do not have any acetone, but if you get some (hardware store) I would be willing to give you a hand. Located in the village of Pinellas.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

If it is the two piece top fold down type you probably get new one for 60 to 70 bucks online (Google). Locally they want 120.00 plus tax. Just had mine replaced with bottom fold out one and sold the old one in prefect condition last weekend on Craigslist. I like the suggestion of stop drilling it also, if you don't want spend money.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Default Cracked windschield

Quote:
Be careful of what kind of drill you use, a conventional drill will exacerbate the crack, it causes heat and pressure on the sides of the hole. Use a step drill or one designed for plexy. Stop drill the end of the crack with the step drill and that's the best you can do. The new hole will spread the stress caused by the crack and should stop enlargement of the crack. This experience was gained by repairing many small plane windshields.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, I also have a variable speed dremel which can be used to drill the above mentioned holes to stop the cracks, glad to help if you want it.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

I have some acetone I don't want. You are welcome to it. PM me.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplars View Post
Be careful of what kind of drill you use, a conventional drill will exacerbate the crack, it causes heat and pressure on the sides of the hole. Use a step drill or one designed for plexy.

Good advise......I didn't want to get too complicated but I always alter the grind of the drill with a zero rake when drilling plastic so it would not pull itself in like a screw and crack the plastic. A step drill is ground the same way and would be a good choice.

Tags
windshield, repair, protected, sight, line, small, cart, golf, cracked, acrylic, crack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.