Do cart riders agree with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I would agree with that strategy, with one proviso: with the amount of traffic currently on main roads like Morse, long lines of cars often form at the traffic lights or behind someone turning left, so the car driver should be careful not to move across too early or the cart lane will come to a stand-still too. Having said that, I should prefer to wait in line behind a turning car than be side-swiped by it at the junction.
Good proviso. After all, it is primarily a cart lane, NOT a right hand turn lane. If you borrow it for safety reasons, try not to be a hog.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Tomwed, Rjm1cc, John1953, and Arctic Fox, thank you for giving very clear answers to my question. I have never driven a golf cart except at a golf course, so I have no idea how to interact with cars on a road. Your comments are very helpful.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:00 AM

Now we just have to teach everyone what a turn signal is, and how to use them both in a car and in a golfcart
Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

To me, this right turn by a car works out the same as a cart turning left.

Carts planning to turn left have to leave the lane they're supposed to be in--diamond lane on far right--and move leftward into the car lane, close to the center line, to make their left turn.

Likewise, cars planning to turn right should leave the car lane they drive in and move rightward, into the cart-diamond lane and close to the curb as right turns always are done, and make the turn close to the curb.

In both cases, the turning driver's intentions to turn are clear by USING TURN SIGNALS and blocking those behind them. In both cases the driver intending to turn should let cart/car close behind go thru before merging into their lane and blocking it to make the turn.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcgov View Post
Now we just have to teach everyone what a turn signal is, and how to use them both in a car and in a golfcart
Everyone knows how to turn the signal on, it's the turning the signal off that becomes the problem as you get older. [insert winking emogi first winking the left eye and then the right]
Old 02-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcgov View Post
That would take some work.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
To me, this right turn by a car works out the same as a cart turning left.

Carts planning to turn left have to leave the lane they're supposed to be in--diamond lane on far right--and move leftward into the car lane, close to the center line, to make their left turn.

Likewise, cars planning to turn right should leave the car lane they drive in and move rightward, into the cart-diamond lane and close to the curb as right turns always are done, and make the turn close to the curb.

In both cases, the turning driver's intentions to turn are clear by USING TURN SIGNALS and blocking those behind them. In both cases the driver intending to turn should let cart/car close behind go thru before merging into their lane and blocking it to make the turn.
I agree 100%

But now for reality:
Car drivers race to the merge points to pass carts
Carts pull left into car lane and even turn left without a signal
Some cars use the cart lane to pass other cars making a left turn
Some carts, some cyclists, and some cars completely ignore stop signs
Landscape trucks hauling a trailer turn right across the cart lane cutting them off without a signal
Pedestrians walk right at the curb with their nose buried in their cell phone
Cars with the right of way try to yield it to carts, when carts have the right of way they try to yield it to cars. Results in a staring contest
Many cars have no idea of how to navigate a RB

But thanks for posting the right way to do it---prediction--30% will comply, 30% will ignore it, and 40% won't understand
Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
---prediction--30% will comply, 30% will ignore it, and 40% won't understand
And what about the other 10%?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

My hubby purchased a Honda Civic this past summer which has a camera attached to the passenger mirror, that shoots down the passenger side of the car when you put your right turn signal on, or you can put it on manually by pushing a button. Greatest thing for here in The Villages to spot carts coming up on your right.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I agree 100%

But now for reality....

...But thanks for posting the right way to do it---prediction--30% will comply, 30% will ignore it, and 40% won't understand
Add to that the reality that about 85% of TV population doesn't read this forum.

It would be good if TV Public Safety had a blog like this, for public safety discussions just like this thread, with designated experts (like sheriff) speaking on the right way to do things. Videos are needed to illustrate what we're talking about.

Driving cars and carts in TV is so unique, even within FL. I'm horrified when oldies here tell newbies and adult kids/grandkids, "Aw, just get on the cart and drive till ya get lost and somebody will help ya". That is a grave accident waiting to happen.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The other 10% will wonder why they were left out of the calculation.....ha ha ha
Old 02-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
I agree 100%
But thanks for posting the right way to do it---prediction--30% will comply, 30% will ignore it, and 40% won't understand
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
The other 10% will wonder why they were left out of the calculation.....ha ha ha
Is today national common core math day????
In my school days, 30+40+30=100
Old 02-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
We threw you a lob ball. [insert winking emoji moving like a lob ball]
Old 02-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
We're in 110% agreement
Old 02-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Cars with the right of way try to yield it to carts, when carts have the right of way they try to yield it to cars. Results in a staring contest
I read someone's Number One Safety Tip earlier this week which really struck a chord:

"If you have the right of way, exercise it."

So many drivers think that they are being helpful by stopping on roundabouts or main roads to let others in when, in the majority of cases, this is just plain dangerous.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, lane, car, driving, san, told, turn, marino, carts, golf, straight, people, person, agree, deal, block, traveling, south, check, yield, move, back, essentially, close, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.