Do cart riders agree with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I read someone's Number One Safety Tip earlier this week which really struck a chord:

"If you have the right of way, exercise it."

So many drivers think that they are being helpful by stopping on roundabouts or main roads to let others in when, in the majority of cases, this is just plain dangerous.
And the corollary to this rule, which is actually the number one cause of all MVAs, is "If you DO NOT have the right of way, YIELD it"
Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM

I personally think that when in a street that has the bike/cart lane that this is to be regarded as a four lane road. You would not make a right turn from the outside or "passing" lane, would you? Think, if you are a car, move over to the right lane or the cart/bike lane prior to making the turn. Hopefully, you have checked to make sure that this lane is open, then proceed to make your turn.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWildcat View Post
I personally think that when in a street that has the bike/cart lane that this is to be regarded as a four lane road. You would not make a right turn from the outside or "passing" lane, would you? Think, if you are a car, move over to the right lane or the cart/bike lane prior to making the turn. Hopefully, you have checked to make sure that this lane is open, then proceed to make your turn.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Right turn camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Yes, the problem is that you are ahead of the cart and the cart is in your blind spot. Pulling over should be safer andt I think it would agree with the law.
My Honda Odyssey has a camera for right turns when you signal (cart will appear on your backup screen if its to your right in the cart path) so you don't have a blind spot. This is very helpful.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I don't agree with this as I'm getting tired of almost getting hit by cars passing a left turning car or cart by using the golf cart lane. It has happened no less than 4 times that I'm turning right into a clear cart lane and as soon as I pull out, a car veers into the cart lane to go around a car or cart that is turning left.
The cart lane should not be used as a passing lane. If it was meant for cars, it would be much wider.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
I don't agree with this as I'm getting tired of almost getting hit by cars passing a left turning car or cart by using the golf cart lane. It has happened no less than 4 times that I'm turning right into a clear cart lane and as soon as I pull out, a car veers into the cart lane to go around a car or cart that is turning left.
The cart lane should not be used as a passing lane. If it was meant for cars, it would be much wider.
Wow. Passing a car on the right, in the cart lane?? Talk about jerks!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts
Default Or,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
My hubby purchased a Honda Civic this past summer which has a camera attached to the passenger mirror, that shoots down the passenger side of the car when you put your right turn signal on, or you can put it on manually by pushing a button. Greatest thing for here in The Villages to spot carts coming up on your right.
you could always turn your head and look.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
Wow. Passing a car on the right, in the cart lane?? Talk about jerks!
see post #27
Old 02-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
you could always turn your head and look.
Managing Blind Spots
Learning to Drive | Driving with a Permit | Managing Blind Spots | State Farm

I'd like to try the camera out.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
kYwildcat: I am new to this thread. I totally agree with you. further either the OP did not understand what the sheriff said or the sheriff said it incorrectly.

Golf carts are vehicles and golf carts like cars and bicycles have to follow the rules of the road.

I treat a highway that has the addition of diamond lanes left and right side as a four lane highway , five lane if it also provides a left turning lane.

the rules of the road would indicate if a golf cart is to your right and ahead of you then it has the right of way. conversely behind you then you have the right of way which includes turning right . As many have learned there are many car drivers that intentional speed ahead of a golf cart merging from a diamond lane onto the right lane in order to turn at gate stations

The rub with all of this is if a car or cart is in the driver's blind spot.
It is negligent to travel in the same lane occupied by another car and hence I believe that includes occupying a diamond lane that occupies a golf cart.
A car cutting into a diamond lane to make a right turn is literally cutting off a golf cart and if unseen by the car driver is setting up a collision.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 02-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Just for the record...I don't live with you all yet. That being said isn't all that has been discussed just neglect of common sense and acceptable driving techniques? Is it also possible that one day some political muckety muck will take the "cart problem" to heart and revoke the privilege of using the carts on the street? Just wondering. You are there and I'm not.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by KYWildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
I don't agree with this as I'm getting tired of almost getting hit by cars passing a left turning car or cart by using the golf cart lane. It has happened no less than 4 times that I'm turning right into a clear cart lane and as soon as I pull out, a car veers into the cart lane to go around a car or cart that is turning left. The cart lane should not be used as a passing lane. If it was meant for cars, it would be much wider.
Spring Chicken you're confusing a left turn with a right turn. The original poster wanted to know how to make a right turn when a golf cart lane is to your immediate right. This has been discussed several times in the past and KYWildcat has the right idea.

Don't golf carts merge into the car lane when they are going to make a left turn? The same is true for cars wanting to make a right turn. When there is adequate spacing, merge your car partially into the cart lane, essentially creating a sequence between vehicles of different type. Cart drivers love it, because they know your intentions, just like a turn signal can alert drivers of your intentions. I've been doing this everyday on St. Charles for the past five years and it works beautifully.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
A car cutting into a diamond lane to make a right turn is literally cutting off a golf cart and if unseen by the car driver is setting up a collision.
Interesting statement. Are you suggesting a car should not cut into the diamond lane to make a right turn?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Is today national common core math day????
In my school days, 30+40+30=100
That is true, however tomwed is used to giving 110%..
Old 02-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Originally Posted by KYWildcat

Spring Chicken you're confusing a left turn with a right turn. The original poster wanted to know how to make a right turn when a golf cart lane is to your immediate right. This has been discussed several times in the past and KYWildcat has the right idea.

Don't golf carts merge into the car lane when they are going to make a left turn? The same is true for cars wanting to make a right turn. When there is adequate spacing, merge your car partially into the cart lane, essentially creating a sequence between vehicles of different type. Cart drivers love it, because they know your intentions, just like a turn signal can alert drivers of your intentions. I've been doing this everyday on St. Charles for the past five years and it works beautifully.
Not confused about anything. I was not replying to the OP, I was replying to the poster that I quoted and I disagree with the following statement:
"I personally think that when in a street that has the bike/cart lane that this is to be regarded as a four lane road."
It is NOT a four lane road and was never intended to be.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, lane, car, driving, san, told, turn, marino, carts, golf, straight, people, person, agree, deal, block, traveling, south, check, yield, move, back, essentially, close, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.