Does it make you nervous to share the road with cars?

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

It is interesting to watch new golf cart drivers traveling west on the second Moyer Loop approach the roundabout in the auto only lanes. It’s easy to miss the needed left turn before the roundabout to stay on the golf cart trail to travel north(Morse), south or west(Hillsborough Trail). Today, I saw a car letting a golf cart backtrack out of the auto only lane to return to the golf cart trail(MM Path).

Last edited by twoplanekid; 02-03-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
It is interesting to watch new golf cart drivers traveling west on the second Moyer Loop approach the roundabout in the auto only lanes. It’s easy to miss the needed left turn before the roundabout to stay on the golf cart trail to travel north(Morse), south or west(Hillsborough Trail). Today, I saw a car letting a golf cart backtrack out of the auto only lane to return to the golf cart trail(MM Path).
I lived here for almost six years and drive a cart daily. After our first trip to Belle Glade CC, I missed that turn also and had to back up. Thankfully no traffic.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
you know I'm joking....actually I was hoping Gracie would jump in...
tomwed No GG has a squirt gun Of course I knew you were kidding about GG.

As stated in a previous thread I do not take this forum seriously. Its a past time, an opportunity to chat with neighbors and to learn about events that I may have missed. Its live and let live. People have different views, some very fascinating, its what makes the world go around...and I do have a good sense of humor

Personal Best Regards:
Old 02-04-2016, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
I emphatically concur with the posters who advise to be aware of your surroundings whether in a cart or car. If I'm in a car and making a right turn into a street when I have a cart lane beside me, a check of my mirror let's me know if there is a cart beside me. (Yup, that's what the mirror is there for!) If so, it's a simple matter to either speed up if there's room or slow down if there is not. And put my signal on for a right turn. (Yup, that's why they are there!) If we get an Alphonse and Gaston situation, I let the cart go. Safer that way.
If I'm in a cart and there is a car next to me as we approach a side street, I always back off so there is room for the car to make the right turn even if they don't signal and/or don't see me there.
And, VApeople, if I remember correctly, the accident you linked to was caused by a car not obeying the signs that instruct cars making a right turn at that intersection to yield to carts in the cart/bicycle lane. Another example of people failing to read signs just like they do at the roundabouts. And being unaware of what is around them.

I find the following:
90% of car drivers slow up to allow the cart to merge---no problem
9% speed up to beat you there--use you mirror to see---again, no problem
1% match your speed and hang right off your left rear tire---BIG PROBLEM!

As a aside---here's a new RB trick---headed east on Stillwater yesterday to go north on Morse, I was in the left lane as I should be. Driver headed north on Morse was in the right lane with a car to HER(yes, sexist) left. BOTH cars entered the RB, failing to yield to traffic already in the RB, but lady in the right lane crossed immediately into the left lane of the RB, cutting off the car to her left who had to slam on his brakes, effectively cutting off traffic in the RB who in turn had to slam on their brakes. She then proceeded to head west on Stillwater. I guess she was told to take the left RB lane to go around 270, but forgot every other rule of the road.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

I ALWAYS give cars wide berth and I watch my rearview.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Sage

I'm feeling deja rearview.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I'm feeling deja rearview.
Isn't that 2 pretty good movies rolled into one????
Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Isn't that 2 pretty good movies rolled into one????
Yesterday some said something about giving a wide birth---
me being me, asked if there was such a thing as a narrow birth.

Then someone else said ''I don't know why, but i find myself chuckling."

When I read a new wide birth statement again today----deja review mirror
[oh yea, that is two movies]
Old 02-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Sage

Common sense tells everyone to be cautious and drive defensively. The summer months will have less traffic than the snowbird season, (Jan 1 to March 31st).

One always needs to be especially careful in that section of Morse where one has to share the roads with cars. I tend to avoid it, as several accidents are more prevalent in that area.

I'm sure everyone is a little nervous when they first arrive here but after awhile, one becomes more comfortable with the traffic concerning carts.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, cars, road, car, straight, turn, losing, significant, problems, sharing, encounters, happening, end, lanes, move, summer, plan, share, make, nervous, lot, side, read, trail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.