Which electric cart brand?

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Default Which electric cart brand?

In the market to replace my current 2011 E Z Go electric. Would appreciate comments/experience regarding manufacturer. I am most interested in the range owners are realistically experiencing. Not interested in a gas cart, so please refrain from those responses!
Old 03-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Veteran member

Any brand that is 48V with a configuration of eight 6-volt batteries will give you the maximum range of an electric cart. This is for today's standard "wet" batteries. Someday, improved batteries (lithium ion, etc) may become affordable and extend the range to greater distances between charges.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Any brand that is 48V with a configuration of eight 6-volt batteries will give you the maximum range of an electric cart. This is for today's standard "wet" batteries. Someday, improved batteries (lithium ion, etc) may become affordable and extend the range to greater distances between charges.
I was quoted a range of 50 to 60 miles but have noticed my cart does get slower when I get near the 50 mile range. I have 8-6v Trojan batteries in my cart.

I would recommend to have installed an automatic distilled water refiller as I find this to be so easy to maintain the water levels, in my batteries.

It was also recommended to get a "Battery Minder" trickle charger in addition to a regular charge type device. I was told that if one drive less than 15 miles per day, to use to trickle charger to recharge the batteries. It also desulfates the batteries. If one goes more than 15 miles, use the regular charger.

Check your water levels every month. I was informed one may extend the time between buying new batteries by doing the above. Possible change batteries every 5 years as opposed to three years.

Stay tuned....

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Sage

Normally if someone asks about types of new carts to look at I recommend checking out the EZGO (based on what I have heard).

It is none of my business of course, but I am curious why you are moving away from the EZGO. I assume it is the 2011 AC drive? Does the pack have 4 or 6 batteries?

Sorry I cannot help with what cart to buy, mine are both 2002 Club Cars. I consider them new
Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I was quoted a range of 50 to 60 miles but have noticed my cart does get slower when I get near the 50 mile range. I have 8-6v Trojan batteries in my cart.

I would recommend to have installed an automatic distilled water refiller as I find this to be so easy to maintain the water levels, in my batteries.

<stuff snipped by Alan>

Stay tuned....
Why might a cart go slower? If you do not have one, get a voltmeter for your dash to be sure you are not burning out that pretty new pack... Miles are not nearly as important as volts left in the 'tank'.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

I like my 2015 club cart 6x8 batterys 4 seater,so far I have only gone about 30 miles and still have a lot of juice left on my ele. meter after a day of running around and playing golf. I will only buy an ele.cart, no smells or noise and no going to the gas station for gas. just my 2 cents
Old 03-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

We have a 2014 Par Car and a 2015 Star EV. I live below 466A and have traveled to Lopez and played 18, went to LSL for lunch then home. Later did a quick run to Brownwood (ran out of Dunkin K Cups) and back home. Didn't note the miles, I watch the volt meter...when it gets to 43 volts I head for the barn. That's with the Star. My wife drives the ParCar and doesn't go as far as I do but has never had an issue with range. We charge both every night, the Battery Minder and the Star EV play nicely together, the ParCar doesn't so charge separately......talked to Battery Minder and they advised that happens, some you can plug in together and some you can't.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-10-2015, 06:45 PM

well, enjoy it now. Like any electric cart after 2 years of battery age your range will drop off a ledge.
I have no doubt for this reason and this reason alone you see
many more gas carts around compared to what you saw when TV was much smaller.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:25 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf6969 View Post
well, enjoy it now. Like any electric cart after 2 years of battery age your range will drop off a ledge.
I have no doubt for this reason and this reason alone you see
many more gas carts around compared to what you saw when TV was much smaller.
Not true if you maintain the batteries properly. My last set of batteries were 5 years old and I still would get 40-45 miles on a charge. I replaced them because 2 batteries developed bad cells, so I replaced all 8 batteries.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:52 AM
Bosoxfan

years of use really isn't an indicator .Amp hours is the main reason batteries wear down. I put over 9 thousand miles a year on my carts and had to replace the batteries every 13 months. So I guess you could get 5 years if you only drove 2 thousand miles a year.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Not looking for a debate on this issue, but to be sure in the 5 years I have put 26,152 miles on my cart.

BTW it is a club cart
Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Sage

Don't worry about range or charging, go solar.

Works like a dream 70+ miles

As far as batteries, yes they should last 4-5 years if maintained correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
I will only buy an ele.cart, no smells or noise and no going to the gas station for gas. just my 2 cents
And you're reducing your carbon foot print
Old 03-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Sage

I was curious about battery lifespan. A guy at ParCars told me 8000 miles is an expected lifespan of batteries if they are maintained and not deeply discharged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
years of use really isn't an indicator .Amp hours is the main reason batteries wear down. I put over 9 thousand miles a year on my carts and had to replace the batteries every 13 months. So I guess you could get 5 years if you only drove 2 thousand miles a year.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Did you notice that the Villages golf carts now stock and sell electrics? I suspect they understand there is a market. Gas lovers will always be gas lovers but the pro electric guys are moving in and more are out there.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox04 View Post
In the market to replace my current 2011 E Z Go electric. Would appreciate comments/experience regarding manufacturer. I am most interested in the range owners are realistically experiencing. Not interested in a gas cart, so please refrain from those responses!
I think the type of motor is important -DC or AC so I would add that question. I think I have a DC motor and I slow down going up hill. I think the E Z Go is AC and you do not slow down on hills. I only go short distances so no info on range.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.