Electric Golf Cart

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts
Default Electric Golf Cart

If I buy an electric golf cart and I have to go up north for say two months do I leave it plugged in? Would leaving it plugged in cause harm to the batteries?
Old 09-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

We have two electric carts.....when we go for an extended time we make sure the distilled water is topped off, the batteries are fully chaged then unplug the charger and finally we put the cart of a battery minder. We were gone from the end of June till the end of August and when we returned we unplugged the battery minder and started using them immediately....which was the result of The Villages withdrawal disease....it was great to get home

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We have two electric carts.....when we go for an extended time we make sure the distilled water is topped off, the batteries are fully chaged then unplug the charger and finally we put the cart of a battery minder. We were gone from the end of June till the end of August and when we returned we unplugged the battery minder and started using them immediately....which was the result of The Villages withdrawal disease....it was great to get home
The battery minder is not the charger. So, you unplug the charger and then plug in the batteryminder? Do all newer electric carts have a battery minder built in?
Old 09-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Gold member
Default People assume you understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
The battery minder is not the charger. So, you unplug the charger and then plug in the batteryminder? Do all newer electric carts have a battery minder built in?
The issue is that typically without being used at all there is a loss of charge in the batteries. I seem to recall it is 2% per day.

The battery minder is a trickle charger-a low rate of charge.
I would NOT fill your batteries BEFORE charging unless the batteries are so low on electrolyte that you can see the plates are above the fluid when you look into the cell. If, that is the case, you want to add enough water so that the plates are covered BUT NOT TO THE PROPER LEVEL.
Reason is by charging the cells you actually raise the electrolyte level. If, you fill the cells before charging and as I said the level rises as the cell is charged, you will spill acid,(electrolyte) on your garage floor.
After the batteries are completely charged you then add DISTILLED water to the proper level. It is the ring at the bottom of the hole on each cell where you add water.
ADD THE RIGHT AMOUNT-MORE IS NOT BETTER.

Whatever you do, I would try it out several days before you leave so you will know all is OK.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think it depends on what you purchased. My cart says to leave it plugged into the charger. Their is a computer in the cart and the charger. They talk to each other and charge the battery as needed. Look up your manual on the internet for the cart and charger and see what it says. After charging I would top off with water, plug in the charger and take your trip.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Buy gas and don't worry about it
Old 09-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Sage

My post was based on the instructions from the manufacturer.....maybe others have different reactions. One cart is a par car and the other a Star. What I posted is from Par Car and I just did the same with the Star. I also fill with the auto fill, not by sight. Just to clarify what was behind my post. It worked fine for us.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Which has a whole other set of issues.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
The issue is that typically without being used at all there is a loss of charge in the batteries. I seem to recall it is 2% per day.

The battery minder is a trickle charger-a low rate of charge.

A battery minder is a float charger not a trickle charger. A trickle charger never stops charging unless you disconnect it. Result...overcharged battery. A float charger has intelligent circuitry that senses when the battery is charged and shuts itself off until it senses a need for charging.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
I don't want gas.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
My post was based on the instructions from the manufacturer.....maybe others have different reactions. One cart is a par car and the other a Star. What I posted is from Par Car and I just did the same with the Star. I also fill with the auto fill, not by sight. Just to clarify what was behind my post. It worked fine for us.
But you didn't answer my question.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
A battery minder is a float charger not a trickle charger. A trickle charger never stops charging unless you disconnect it. Result...overcharged battery. A float charger has intelligent circuitry that senses when the battery is charged and shuts itself off until it senses a need for charging.
My post above was a Par Car. 3 or 4 years old. My guess is that my charger is working like you described a trickle charger. I think it will go for days before turning on an charging but I have never been around to observe.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
But you didn't answer my question.
I don't know....if we are gone for an extended period of time we do not leave it on the charger but use the battery minder. I have never left them on a charger for more than a week.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:08 PM

I do not leave mine plugged in when I head back to the Jersey Shore for the summer. I was advised by the dealer that they can overheat, cause fires, get a surge from lightning...etc. more trouble than I can list. I do not have a battery minder...but am thinking I will look into one.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:20 AM

What is a battery minder?
Closed Thread

Tags
plugged, electric, golf, cart, leave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.