Electric Golf Cart Charging Stations

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2018, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookieroo View Post
That's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg gg ride to Brownwood my friend
Yes, but on a nice day, it's great ride.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I assume you realize that fossil fuels are burned to create the electricity to charge your electric golf cart. I also assume that you own an automobile and it is an all-electric such as a Tesla or Nissan Leaf. If you do in fact own an automobile and it uses gasoline then you should consider what you just posted.
Not to mention all the fossil fuel it takes to mine, transport, and process all the nasty stuff that makes up the several batteries in the electric carts. Then every few years the batteries need to be replaced which creates toxic waste that something has to be done with. I fully understand that people like a quiet cart with no fumes coming out of the tailpipe, but don't naively try to justify it as being better for the environment.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Old 10-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Gas/Elrctric

[QUOTE=bob&Gail;1590525]That smelly exhaust from gas carts. Think of the stench made by that coal fired power plant to make the electricity to charge your clean smelling electric cart. Think an answer thru before you print

OK Think an answer?/
Generating plants for electricity can be Nuclear, Coal or Natural Gas as an energy source. Modern and remodeled plants have exhaust scrubbers, and filters and most are very low on emissions. Gas carts, older cars, motorcycles and lawnmowers mostly have NO emission controls, Zero as in NONE. They are major polluters. Gas is C8H18 and when mixed with air (N2O2) produces CO, Co2, UHC ,NOx,,H20 etc. This can be mostly scrubbed on modern cars with Catalytic Units. Main stationary plants have many controls and scrubbers for an exhaust. Again, Carts, Motor Cycles, lawnmowers have no controls. In Vancouver Wa. a bus company cannot operate a gas bus, it has to be Natural Gas. A good reason for that. Suggest holding your breath going through tunnels. You DO NOT need to hold your breath when going by a generating plant. A BIG Difference.
Think an answer before ??? Do some reading as a starter ???
Old 10-16-2018, 08:31 AM

All of the gas carts running around here are surely a better alternative to the cars that would be used if carts weren't allowed, so tree-huggers should be happy about that. I've never seen a cart that can be fully charged in 3 hours or even close to that. I suppose it's possible, but I haven't seen one. Over the long term, it's not good for batteries to partially charge them and then drain them down again on a regular basis, so doing that only means you'll be buying new batteries again sooner. It's also not good on cart batteries to regularly drain them too deeply before charging back up. Most of the carts and battery systems used in them were never designed for the distances and use here in TV. And contrary to the statement previously made, it's actually not that difficult at all to rig an electric cart to go faster. And, from a standing start, they are already much faster than gas carts leaving a lot less room for error if you hit the pedal in a dicey situation. All that said, I'm not bashing electric carts, just pointing out there are pros and cons to either option and it's always best to not just make up facts to support your particular view.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I look it this way: I live in Country Club Hills,
First year - can go to Brownwood, drive around a while and get home no problem.
2nd year - can go to Brownwood and back but not drive around.
3rd year - can go to Brownwood, but might not make it back.
4th year - not making it to Brownwood
5th year - I hope I can make to Lake Sumter and back. New battery time.

Just my opinion.

I had an electric but switched to gas as I didn't want to worry about making it to and back from anywhere!

With TV getting bigger and bigger, to me the answer is getting a gas cart. IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Had an electric cart until the day I had to push it the last 1/4 mile to make it home..Bought a gas cart and have yet to push it anywhere.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Electric vehicles will grow from 3 million to 125 million by 2030: IEA
Old 10-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

But for now many of us who have lived here for awhile will tell you that gas carts go farther and get you back too.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
But for now many of us who have lived here for awhile will tell you that gas carts go farther and get you back too.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:12 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I am so looking forward to moving to the Villages. I have difficulty with breathing and am concerned about the fumes from gas. Where I live now there are electric charging stations for cars. I have not owned either gas or electric golf carts but tried the gas golf cart on my preview visit. I could smell the fumes. With the expansion of the villages in years to come I am sure I will want to go to various locations and I am not sure about battery life and would feel more confident if I knew there were charging stations by the rec centers or shopping centers.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifred View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I am so looking forward to moving to the Villages. I have difficulty with breathing and am concerned about the fumes from gas. Where I live now there are electric charging stations for cars. I have not owned either gas or electric golf carts but tried the gas golf cart on my preview visit. I could smell the fumes. With the expansion of the villages in years to come I am sure I will want to go to various locations and I am not sure about battery life and would feel more confident if I knew there were charging stations by the rec centers or shopping centers.
You will smell gas once in a while and probably all the time in tunnels. If this is a serious problem I would look for a smaller community. My guess is you can go about 40 miles on electric. Maybe you could drive for 2 hours. I would also look for an electric cart that had the charge on board so you just needed to plug into an electrical outlet.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

You could always bring this...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	cord.jpeg
Views:	870
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	76903  
Old 10-16-2018, 07:54 PM

Most electric carts you can carry the charger on the cart but still need to find somewhere to plug it in. But you risk the charger being stolen and you better be prepared to wait a while for enough juice to get very far.

The fuel injected gas carts are much better about not putting out excess fumes. Mine is FI and I never experience that gas smell that I have had with non FI carts.

Another option may be the tiny electric cars that some have around here that are more purpose built for road travel. I am sure they are more expensive though.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You will smell gas once in a while and probably all the time in tunnels. If this is a serious problem I would look for a smaller community. My guess is you can go about 40 miles on electric. Maybe you could drive for 2 hours. I would also look for an electric cart that had the charge on board so you just needed to plug into an electrical outlet.
Whose electricity would you be (borrowing)stealing?
Closed Thread

Tags
charging, electric, stations, squares, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.