Electric Used vs new and options

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2019, 12:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Electric Used vs new and options

Hello - we are new members, soon to be new residents, and this is my first post.

My wife unit and I are going to be in the market for a golf cart when we move into TV this September. We have never owned a golf cart and so we are looking for a little help and some advice.

Our use of it will be mostly getting around TV and we do not golf (yet?)

Our budget is $5,000 - $7,000.

We are going to get one initially and then based on how that works out a second in 6 months or so.

I am fairly set on electric, and i am fairly certain I am not interested in LSV. (Should I want LSV?) My wife mostly doesn't care, but thinks she would prefer electric. (We plan on getting it a big brother - a Tesla next year - so, if they are both electric, they might get along better )

1. It seems Yamaha, Club Car and EZ-Go are the most recommenced makes. Is this right? Do you have others you think would work better for us and our budget?

2. 48V with AC motors seem to get the best range - is that right? Is one better than the others for reliability and range or is it mostly personal taste?

3. Can we expect to get a 40 mile range without over discharging with 2 - 3 year old Trojan batteries that are in good condition?

5. Is 40 miles enough range for running around our home neighborhood, shopping, going out to eat, going to the post office, going to some entertainment at night, going to clubs or other activities during the day - ie normal daily running around in TV?

4. With our budget would it be better to get more options in a 2 or 3 year old used cart, or a more basic new cart? We are not interested in gee whiz - we are more interested in a reliable cart that will get us there and back again for years.

5. At our budget, can we expect to get a good used one from around 2016 to 2017. (or newer?)

6. What features/options do you consider as must have for an electric golf cart? Roof? Windshield? Curtains? LED lights? Fold down seats? Lift kit and oversized wheels and tires? Instrumentation? Premium seats? Seat belts? Tranquilizers for my wife when I am driving?

7. Which options do you consider bad or a waste of money? Lift kit and over sized tires?

8. Any additional advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance -

Frank
Old 07-23-2019, 04:18 AM

Just so happens we bought a used EZ GO recently. First off I think your budget won't allow you to buy a cart that new. AC motor option is a little more expensive than a DC motor. The range you expect of your batteries is at their peek performance, as they age milage will go down. Sunbrella (enclosure) is a must, everything else is fluff. The more options you add the higher the price. As new batteries will cost about 800 dollars, their age will be a big factor in the price. I really don't think you should plan on 40 or 50 miles out of a charge, and a full charge will take about 6 hours. So, in your case, I wouldn't rule out gas. That being said, I own 2 electric carts.

Rollie
Old 07-23-2019, 05:32 AM

Seems to me that every used battery powered cart is advertised has having new/nearly new batteries. I'd insist on seeing the receipt for the most recent battery replacement, if so advertised, and I'd also inspect the battery date code stamped onto each of the 6-8 batteries. You can google to see where the date code is located... for example, Trojan is a very popular golf cart battery and this site shows how to read that battery date...

How to read a Trojan battery date code | Golf Car Maven

At least this bit of investigation will help you know more about the used cart (and the seller as well).
Old 07-23-2019, 05:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We have EZGO and ParCar electrics and are happy with both

Agree above comments re mileage - doubt you'll get 40 miles but probably won't need anywhere near that - and age - for your budget probably get a 2014/5

Would also add seat-belts to the "required extras" list
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Electric cart

8 batteries will serve u better than 6
Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Hey Grump

Looks like you have done your research.

I'm a gas guy, just because we use the cart a lot.
We are one to travel from tip to tip.
I assume we will travel to the Fenney area, not sure.

Battery life decrease over time, gas does not.
BUT
I was very close to buying an electric for our second cart, but a cheap gas came up with only 50 hours on it.

I would stay away from street legal. Those people are crazy. What's the rush.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:47 AM
Gold member

I own two electric Club Cars, and wouldn't have anything else. I ride with my buddy on his Yamaha gas cart twice a week when I play golf, and the noise and vibration only reinforce my preference for electric. My only caution is that anyone who is negligent on maintenance shouldn't own an electric cart. You really must pay attention to the battery water levels and charging. Regarding the 40 mile range, I suggest you get hold of a golf cart, any golf cart, and measure out a twenty mile trip and take it. Twenty miles on a golf cart is a long trip and by the end you probably won't want to do it again.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Since you are looking to get two carts I would suggest buying one of each. I own an electric two seater which is great for golf, quiet and no smell. Never had a problem playing on any golf course concerning range. The other cart is a newer gas four seater which Mrs. Town likes for running around and for times when travelling with more than two.

The electric cart has a battery fill system and an on board charger which makes maintenance easy. The gas cart just needs to be filled up occasionally. Both get checked out annually.

Which one would I buy first? Probably the electric and then the gas as The Villages keeps expanding and connectivity becomes a reality.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Sage

I know it is more than you want to spend but consider another option. EZGO offers a cart with lithium-ion batteries. They are not cheap but if you take a long term view it may make financial sense for you. Since you mentioned you are interested in a Tesla, I assume you are familiar with the advantages of lithium-ion batteries over flooded lead-acid batteries. Just a thought ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Hello - we are new members, soon to be new residents, and this is my first post.

My wife unit and I are going to be in the market for a golf cart when we move into TV this September. We have never owned a golf cart and so we are looking for a little help and some advice.

Our use of it will be mostly getting around TV and we do not golf (yet?)

Our budget is $5,000 - $7,000.

We are going to get one initially and then based on how that works out a second in 6 months or so.

I am fairly set on electric, and i am fairly certain I am not interested in LSV. (Should I want LSV?) My wife mostly doesn't care, but thinks she would prefer electric. (We plan on getting it a big brother - a Tesla next year - so, if they are both electric, they might get along better )

1. It seems Yamaha, Club Car and EZ-Go are the most recommenced makes. Is this right? Do you have others you think would work better for us and our budget?

2. 48V with AC motors seem to get the best range - is that right? Is one better than the others for reliability and range or is it mostly personal taste?

3. Can we expect to get a 40 mile range without over discharging with 2 - 3 year old Trojan batteries that are in good condition?

5. Is 40 miles enough range for running around our home neighborhood, shopping, going out to eat, going to the post office, going to some entertainment at night, going to clubs or other activities during the day - ie normal daily running around in TV?

4. With our budget would it be better to get more options in a 2 or 3 year old used cart, or a more basic new cart? We are not interested in gee whiz - we are more interested in a reliable cart that will get us there and back again for years.

5. At our budget, can we expect to get a good used one from around 2016 to 2017. (or newer?)

6. What features/options do you consider as must have for an electric golf cart? Roof? Windshield? Curtains? LED lights? Fold down seats? Lift kit and oversized wheels and tires? Instrumentation? Premium seats? Seat belts? Tranquilizers for my wife when I am driving?

7. Which options do you consider bad or a waste of money? Lift kit and over sized tires?

8. Any additional advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance -

Frank
Old 07-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Wow! Thanks for all the comments, a lot of good advice there. I appreciated it. Maybe it would be "safer" to try a gas cart first and then go into an electric later. We will think about that.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the comments, a lot of good advice there. I appreciated it. Maybe it would be "safer" to try a gas cart first and then go into an electric later. We will think about that.
Rent both for a week and decide for yourself which suits you best.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
Rent both for a week and decide for yourself which suits you best.
Thats a great idea, thanks.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:57 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

You will get tired of battery service very soon.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:08 AM

There are a lot of GREAT comments and things to think about in this thread. One more is your location in relation to where you will traveling to the most. That may be two things you know or two things your don’t know.

I would suggest that you dont jump into either too quickly. I would not plan on getting a cart for ~6 months. See what you do in your car... THEN figure out what is best for your needs. I am currently in that same boat. I think we are too new to The Villages to make a smart choice.... but if that good deal came along.....
Old 07-24-2019, 07:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
You will get tired of battery service very soon.
I understand, the Lithium battery EZ-GO's are appealing for that reason, the ability to "top off" the charge and the increased range. I am increasing the budget to the $10K to $11K range and researching 2018 or so EZ-GO Elites with lithium batteries. Fairly expensive, but close to maintenance free.

Lead acid batteries seem to require a disciplined owner to maintain them - and one thing I am not is desiplined.

Does anyone know if there are any power outlet where you can park carts around recreation centers or shopping centers? That would be nice for topping off the cart while using the facility.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, electric, golf, budget, range

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.