Electric Used vs new and options

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2019, 07:16 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I understand, the Lithium battery EZ-GO's are appealing for that reason, the ability to "top off" the charge and the increased range. I am increasing the budget to the $10K to $11K range and researching 2018 or so EZ-GO Elites with lithium batteries. Fairly expensive, but close to maintenance free.

Lead acid batteries seem to require a disciplined owner to maintain them - and one thing I am not is desiplined.

Does anyone know if there are any power outlet where you can park carts around recreation centers or shopping centers? That would be nice for topping off the cart while using the facility.

No public plug-ins.

There is a cart towing service in TV.
I hear a lot of electric owners sign-up for this service.
Not sure exactly, but like $100/yr.
Or have a friend with a gas cart. ;-))
Old 07-24-2019, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

I have a ("New") 2016 Club Car electric that I bought in 2017, after only 4 years I need new batteries. I know because I can only go from Country Club Hills to Spanish Springs twice before my low charge light comes on.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
No public plug-ins.

There is a cart towing service in TV.
I hear a lot of electric owners sign-up for this service.
Not sure exactly, but like $100/yr.
Or have a friend with a gas cart. ;-))

So, you would come give me a tow home with your gas cart for $100/year
Old 07-24-2019, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I have a ("New") 2016 Club Car electric that I bought in 2017, after only 4 years I need new batteries. I know because I can only go from Country Club Hills to Spanish Springs twice before my low charge light comes on.
I assume you have lead acid batteries. 4 years seems a little early, I would expect to have to replace them at 5 years in most cases.

The estimates are 8 years for the Lithium, Tesla warranty's theirs for 5 years, and it is expected the 5 year old batteries will then be used for homes as storage.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage

Kart Aide is $30 per year if you renew for 2 years. I think it is a good idea because they are available 24x7 and will get you and your cart home. Golf carts don't carry spare tires.

Quote:

So, you would come give me a tow home with your gas cart for $100/year
Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 AM
Sage

From Tesla's webpage:

The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:

Model S and Model X – 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first).
Model 3 - 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 with Long-Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Quote:
I assume you have lead acid batteries. 4 years seems a little early, I would expect to have to replace them at 5 years in most cases.

The estimates are 8 years for the Lithium, Tesla warranty's theirs for 5 years, and it is expected the 5 year old batteries will then be used for homes as storage.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
From Tesla's webpage:

The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:

Model S and Model X – 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first).
Model 3 - 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 with Long-Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Cool, thank you that is even better!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Kart Aide is $30 per year if you renew for 2 years. I think it is a good idea because they are available 24x7 and will get you and your cart home. Golf carts don't carry spare tires.
We have Kart Aide. They came out a couple weeks ago and fixed a tire when we picked up a nail. Money well spent, I think!

kathy
Old 07-24-2019, 02:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We have Kart Aide. They came out a couple weeks ago and fixed a tire when we picked up a nail. Money well spent, I think!

kathy
Yup, already in the planned budget. I am not familiar with golf cart reliability and $30/year to get me or my wife home sounds like really inexpensive insurance to me.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:46 PM

We are in the Fenney area and I have had enough experience with carts to know I won't be taking anything but a gas cart across the bridges and tunnels to get "up north" and have confidence in getting back. The day after we bought our new home last year, I bought a like new, used Yamaha gas cart for just about half of what a similarly equipped new one would have cost. I can see us getting a second cart at some point, and I would consider electric for that and just use it for local golf and local activities. By local, I mean anything reachable that is south of 44 (Brownwood to Rohan). Including our current one, I've owned 2 gas carts and 2 electric carts. Both electrics were 48v Club Cars and there is no question they are quieter and smoother. However, both had brand new batteries at some point of ownership ($800+ per cart) and I made sure to take good care of them, always keeping them on the charger when not in use and making sure the batteries were properly filled with water and keeping the cables cleaned. Still, batteries diminish with age and use and there will always come a day when you were able to go from point A to B and back yesterday and today you couldn't quite make it. So, do you just start limiting your trips to shorter distances or plunk down another $800 for a set of batteries? Not saying electric isn't right for many - it clearly is. But, for me, I like the peace of mind that, short of a mechanical failure, a gas cart is only limited by the distance to the next gas station.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Yup, already in the planned budget. I am not familiar with golf cart reliability and $30/year to get me or my wife home sounds like really inexpensive insurance to me.
It is.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:46 AM

I concur - Buy Used. That Yamaha gas engine is reliable. The depreciation on a new cart may not be worth the new price. Many well cared for used carts for half the price of a new one.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for all the comments, a lot of good advice there. I appreciated it. Maybe it would be "safer" to try a gas cart first and then go into an electric later. We will think about that.
When we first moved here we bought a used gas Yamaha four seater. Since have added a new second one, Gas too. Our original cart is still running smoothly and we use it a lot. It is 17. It is slightly younger than me.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When we first moved here we bought a used gas Yamaha four seater. Since have added a new second one, Gas too. Our original cart is still running smoothly and we use it a lot. It is 17. It is slightly younger than me.
Grace is correct, the Yamaha gas carts are reliable and relatively care free. Every Yamaha gas cart from 2008 until now looks virtually identical. Get a 5-10 year old cart, add the upgrades you want, keep it well maintained and invest the difference. If you are determined to buy electric, and there is nothing wrong with that, get one with new batteries, or get a good discount to buy new ones. Electric carts are also durable and will last a long time with proper care.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
Rent both for a week and decide for yourself which suits you best.
I did not need a week to know we made the correct decision to purchase an electric Yamaha cart. Villages Golf Cars always gives us a loaner when we bring our cart in for annual maintenance. They give us one of the new Yamaha Quiet Tech gas carts. Just for the trip home (about 4 miles), I can not tolerate the noise and vibration and these are current model year carts. YIKES! My electric cart is wonderfully quiet and has no vibration. It is a real cream puff.

I don't have any idea how anyone could possibly want a gas cart but I do understand a person requiring a gas cart if they plan to travel more than 50 or 60 miles in one day.

I don't play golf so I never have to worry about running out of a charge in my electric cart. I use the cart for short trips such as the nearest pools, LSL square or to Colony Plaza. Nothing much more than that. Trips to Spanish Springs or Brownwood are by car and we live in Mallory Square so we are centrally located to the squares.

Connectivity to points south of 44? Not doing that by cart!!! You will need to pack a lunch.

Tags
cart, electric, golf, budget, range

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.