Emergency flashers won't turn off

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2022, 04:56 PM
Default Emergency flashers won't turn off

When I got this used cart, the turn signal lights in the mirrors would be on when the headlights were on. Now the emergency flashers are on and will not turn off unless I unhook the ground on the battery.

I'm fairly handy with things but don't know where to begin with this situation. Please help! :-)

Thanks
Old 07-30-2022, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

First make sure that the hazard light switch isn’t on. Once that’s verified disconnect the wires from the switch and see if the switch is defective.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-30-2022, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Jim, I sent you a PM (private message). Jim, please give me a call, I have a lot of experience on 12 VDC systems (cars and carts). This sounds like the switch may have failed, but try this first, move the turn signal switch to a right or left turn position, and watch the typical chrome actuator near the base of the turn signal lever. If it pops out this was your problem, the emergency flashers are activated by pushing the actuator in and it stays in that position until released.
Some carts have electronic emergency flashers activated by a simple toggle switch, which could be located anywhere, or the electronic module may have failed, I just had a failure of this module on our cart.
I do not post my phone number on public forums.

Last edited by villagetinker; 07-30-2022 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 07-30-2022, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Jim, I sent you a PM (private message). Jim, please give me a call, I have a lot of experience on 12 VDC systems (cars and carts). This sounds like the switch may have failed, but try this first, move the turn signal switch to a right or left turn position, and watch the typical chrome actuator near the base of the turn signal lever. If it pops out this was your problem, the emergency flashers are activated by pushing the actuator in and it stays in that position until released.
Some carts have electronic emergency flashers activated by a simple toggle switch, which could be located anywhere, or the electronic module may have failed, I just had a failure of this module on our cart.
I do not post my phone number on public forums.
Didn’t realize that some hazards were integral to the turn signal switch. Mine are turned on and off with a dedicated switch mounted on the dash.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-30-2022, 08:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Didn’t realize that some hazards were integral to the turn signal switch. Mine are turned on and off with a dedicated switch mounted on the dash.
Depends on the vintage of the cart, newer ones tend to have the dedicated switch, older ones have the type mounted on the turn signal stalk.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:02 PM
Platinum member

We had a similar problem. When they replaced the battery tray, a wire got caught underneath which eventually turned into a short. When we used the headlights, the left directional would blink. Since we rarely went out after dark it took awhile to discover.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

On a cart I used when I rented in TV (Club car), the emergency flashers had to be stopped by pulling on the end of the flasher arm. So bizarre!!
Old 08-01-2022, 02:37 PM
Platinum member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlocke View Post
When I got this used cart, the turn signal lights in the mirrors would be on when the headlights were on. Now the emergency flashers are on and will not turn off unless I unhook the ground on the battery.

I'm fairly handy with things but don't know where to begin with this situation. Please help! :-)

Thanks
What year and make is the cart???
Old 08-01-2022, 03:16 PM
Sage

Update on this project, the cart is a used Yamaha with an electronic control module I have never seen before. In any case, I found corrosion on the pins and between the pins of the connector to the wiring harness. Ther was other evidence of what appears to be salt water residue under the dash. This also could have easily been a spilled drink causing the corrosion and residue. I was able to clean this up, so we are going to let it go for a couple of weeks to see if the problem returns.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Update on this project, the cart is a used Yamaha with an electronic control module I have never seen before. In any case, I found corrosion on the pins and between the pins of the connector to the wiring harness. Ther was other evidence of what appears to be salt water residue under the dash. This also could have easily been a spilled drink causing the corrosion and residue. I was able to clean this up, so we are going to let it go for a couple of weeks to see if the problem returns.
Closed Thread

Tags
turn, emergency, flashers, fairly, handy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.