Ethanol free gas

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Default My two cents

Not to be overly critical but. A golf cart costs about 1/3 of most new cars and most people just fuel up where ever they happen to buy gas. I haven’t heard of a golf cart developing engine issues due to fuel with 10% ethanol. I have 7500 miles on my cart and haven’t experience any issues. I say if it burns use it. NOW, I have a different attitude when it comes to my cars that have a MUCH higher value. Just my two cents😎
Old 12-03-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

OP, did you ever hear of the old saying Pay Me Now Or Pay Me Later? I don't think any of the advice you have been offered is wrong.

I used The Villages Gas except for when I have to get rid of the Regular Gas I bought for our Generator. It was a total of 18 gallons. The Cart ran exactly the same as

it did with the Big Bucks Gas. Our Cart is a Yamaha 2016 with a Garberator (Kidding). I think I'm going to go back to the Big Bucks Gas. It's worth it for peace of mind.

People proved their case for regular gas for sure.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
The OP: Just purchased my first new gas powered Yamaha. Looking for opinions on gas.
DEWILSON, what kind of gas I used what gas I needed at the time I needed it. Ethanol was the least of my worries. I had a 2013 Yamaha & traded it in on a 2018 Yamaha & never once had an issue with it & I had 26,000 miles on it. So use whatever kind of gas you want!
Old 12-05-2019, 05:23 AM

Picked up my new Yamaha yesterday. While checking it out I noticed a sticker on the gas tank. E5-E10, I guess that kind of answers my question.

Rollie
Old 12-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Exactly. BTW, you can get ethanol free gas at the new Wawa (near Lowes) for about 40 cents per gallon more than regular. Much cheaper than Villages Carts.
Many Marathons have ethanol free gas as well.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 12-05-2019, 08:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
Picked up my new Yamaha yesterday. While checking it out I noticed a sticker on the gas tank. E5-E10, I guess that kind of answers my question.

Rollie
Yep. See post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
If it's a new cart look on the gas tank or the gas cap. If there is a sticker that says either E10 or E5 you can use regular pump gas.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	82105  
Old 12-05-2019, 02:55 PM

Ethanol free gasoline is NOT necessary, in any engine, in this climate. PERIOD!
Old 12-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I bought a new Yamaha gas cart in 2011 and used regular ethanol gas until the Marathon Station on 466A opened in August 2014. I thought I would try the ethanol free gas one time to see if it improved performance.

That week I played 18 holes at Belle Glade which is about 4 miles from my home off St. Charles. I picked up my neighbor and we drove to the course, played a round and then as soon as we exited the parking lot the cart died. I could get the cart to go but only at about 4 mph if I held the choke out with one hand and drove the cart. We made it back in 60 minutes, it's normally about 20-25 minutes.

The next day I called Willie Wilcoxin who I've had service my cart since the beginning. He came out and said that ethanol builds up like crud in the carburetor and fuel lines and when you put in the clean gas all that crud loosens up. He flushed everything out and charged me $70.

Ever since then I've stayed with the Ethanol Free because this is going to be my last cart and I want to last as long as I can, and it has clean lines and a carburetor and I do get slightly better mileage. Also I only drive my cart when I play golf, so I use a 5 gallon can and that will normally last two months. So it's not that big an expense.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:18 PM
Sage

An older golf cart with a carburetor that is not used much may benefit from ethanol-free fuel. I run ethanol-free fuel in my carbureted yard tools - sometimes they sit for awhile. Fuel injected golf carts, however, that are used regularly are fine with 10% ethanol fuel. You don't need ethanol-free fuel in your fuel injected car. Any increase in gas mileage with ethanol-free gas would be limited to 3% (the energy difference) - difficult to measure and certainly not worth the 30% higher cost. I have 20K miles on my fuel injected golf cart with 10% ethanol fuel with no issues and 50+ miles per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I bought a new Yamaha gas cart in 2011 and used regular ethanol gas until the Marathon Station on 466A opened in August 2014. I thought I would try the ethanol free gas one time to see if it improved performance.

That week I played 18 holes at Belle Glade which is about 4 miles from my home off St. Charles. I picked up my neighbor and we drove to the course, played a round and then as soon as we exited the parking lot the cart died. I could get the cart to go but only at about 4 mph if I held the choke out with one hand and drove the cart. We made it back in 60 minutes, it's normally about 20-25 minutes.

The next day I called Willie Wilcoxin who I've had service my cart since the beginning. He came out and said that ethanol builds up like crud in the carburetor and fuel lines and when you put in the clean gas all that crud loosens up. He flushed everything out and charged me $70.

Ever since then I've stayed with the Ethanol Free because this is going to be my last cart and I want to last as long as I can, and it has clean lines and a carburetor and I do get slightly better mileage. Also I only drive my cart when I play golf, so I use a 5 gallon can and that will normally last two months. So it's not that big an expense.

Last edited by biker1; 12-05-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, ethanol, gallon, sell, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.