Evolution 180AH Lithium Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2021, 08:20 AM
Default can I use lithium batteries in my old elec golf cart?

We have a basic, old electric golf cart. Is it possible to buy the new lithium batteries for an old cart?
Old 05-19-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Just add solar and get the best of both
I just had a total duh moment...why would you need gas a gas cart if you just had a roof solar panel in the FL sun on an electric cart? Is there someplace that installs solar panels on electric carts? Why isn't this standard from the manufacturers in 2021? Almost all new RVs have a roof solar panel to charge the house battery to run the fridge. Why are golf carts so behind the times? Who wants to go on shark tank with me?
Old 05-19-2021, 08:38 AM

Check these Dakota Lithium batteries as replacements for lead acid. Good pricing.

Lithium Golf Cart Batteries - 36 Volt & 48V - Dakota Lithium
Old 05-19-2021, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
I just had a total duh moment...why would you need gas a gas cart if you just had a roof solar panel in the FL sun on an electric cart? Is there someplace that installs solar panels on electric carts? Why isn't this standard from the manufacturers in 2021? Almost all new RVs have a roof solar panel to charge the house battery to run the fridge. Why are golf carts so behind the times? Who wants to go on shark tank with me?
There was somebody selling this in The Villages a few years ago. Seemed to be too expensive for what you were getting. You can go on Amazon and buy a solar panel for around $100 today. There are basic and folding versions available. They all output 12v, so you would need to integrate the panel with your specific battery system.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:47 AM

Put the larger RoyPow lithium Batteries in 2019 electric club car in January 2021. I don’t give it a second thought to dive anywhere in TV. Batteries installed at dealership in Leesburg, they did a very clean job of installing batteries and charger. Only need a extension cord to recharge.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:04 AM
Default Evolution golf cart

The quality of this cart is terrible. I own one and sorry I do. The roof is of such thin plastic it cracked under the weight of the curtain in the back. They had to replace the roof. It also rides like a tank. They will not set the speed above 20mph. Impossible to pass a cart doing 15mph on cart path. There is no attention to detail on this cart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phairmason View Post
I test drove an Evolution Electric Plus 4 Passenger cart today at Villages Discount Golf Carts on 441. I have a 2013 gas Yamaha 4-seater and am looking at new lithium battery carts.

It had the LED display, speakers, and back up camera and fancy wheels/tires. But other than that, it's a barebones cart--no locking glove box, for example. I drove over a pretty deep pothole without a bounce (compared to my 2013 Y). I definitely liked the price.

Evolution owners:
  • Do you like it?
  • Does the "jump" start throw you off or do you get used to it?
  • Nothing on the dash has a closure. Do you have problems with items blowing away--maybe there's a hack to make a cavity a glove box?
  • What is the mileage on the 180AH battery charge? The sales rep said 55-65 miles.
  • What advice do you have about the Evolution cart or about the dealers in the area?

--Ruthie
Old 05-19-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619 View Post
We have a basic, old electric golf cart. Is it possible to buy the new lithium batteries for an old cart?
Probably.
People tend to post OPINION, not knowledge.
You apparently have lead acid batteries. In terms of same capacity, amp hours, they will be heavier. As they discharge the voltage goes down, reason why it is not as fast at low charge.
Lithium Ion batteries will be lighter for the same capacity. The voltage curve is flatter but it falls off a cliff at the end. Accurate remaining charge is likely less accurate. Cost, lithium ion batteries have gone down in price they are not as inexpensive as lead acid
and you will likely need to purchase a new charger for lithium ion batteries.
Neither battery type lasts forever. A guess 5-7 years. Typical warranty is based on list price. No one pays list price so the warranty is in reality less than it seems.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:10 AM

We just ordered Evolution 4 seater Plus from STM Golf Carts in Ocala.I did not like how Village Discount Golf Carts does business. When it comes to the Evolution you take what they have, they don't let you customize your cart. They are more of a Yamaha dealer and have only been selling Evolution for about 6 months. Stm has been selling Evolution for 5 years. Evolution comes from the factory with speed up to 25mph but Village Discount turns it down to 20mph.The Evolution also comes with a 2 year warranty but Village Discount tells you 1 but that they warranty the cart for 5 years. What they don't tell you is that you are paying over a $1000 for their extended warranty. Talk to Sam at STM first, it's a family business. Lithium is the future. It's 350lbs lighter than regular batteries and with the 180mah I like the idea of being able to go from one end of The Villages and back as it's getting so big. Also no maintenance and have a 5 year warranty on the battery. STM also can change out regular batteries for Lithium on some carts. The Lithium batteries come with a plug that can go in any outlet, no more heavy charger. The charger is built in.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Love my lithium EZGO, 70 mi range, quiet, no exhaust smell, strong acceleration.
Robbie, I'll be looking at an EZGO Freedom RXV Elite 4.0 when we come down to TV in a couple weeks (Lifestyle Preview visit). Could you share some info on your cart? What features did you get, where did you buy, what model year, breakdown of the price? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2021, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Gas vs. Lithium…

If one can average 15 mph going under tunnels, stops, street crossings, etc., that’s pretty much top speed for a golf cart in The Villages. Driving a Lithium cart with an 80 mile range would mean you’d spend almost 5-1/2 hours in a day driving your cart about as fast as you can go on Villages cart paths.

Are you EVER going to have your fanny parked in the seat of a golf cart going as fast as you can make it go in TV for 5+ hours in a day? If not, the choice of the quiet, odor-free Lithium cart is obvious. Plus you never have the messy job of filling the batteries or going to a gas station every month or so.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:37 AM

Totally disagree with golf carts. Remember they are a golf cart.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:39 AM

Sounds like decision made. Good luck check in when you need replacement.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunesmith View Post
Robbie, I'll be looking at an EZGO Freedom RXV Elite 4.0 when we come down to TV in a couple weeks (Lifestyle Preview visit). Could you share some info on your cart? What features did you get, where did you buy, what model year, breakdown of the price? Thanks!
I'm sure things have changed since my purchase from Villages Golf Cars a year and a half ago so check in with them. You can customize most everything, comfortable seats should be near the top of the list.

I hear order lead time for Lithium is 6+ months. (This is true for almost everything now days...)

I also heard some Lifestyle homes have referbed carts retrofitted with Lithium but have not confirmed that rumor.

Enjoy your visit!
Old 05-19-2021, 12:40 PM

You can read my review of Evolution. The 130 AH battery barely gets 45 miles. The 180 AH might get 55-65 miles but there is something basic wrong if that's all it gets.

I'm still getting 65 miles with the 105 AH Roywpow battery after 6 months of use. Link to that review is below. That is a great solution for an older cart with lead-acid batteries.

I highly recommend STM golf carts in Ocala if you want to buy Evolution or install the Roypow battery.

Evolution Golf Cart Review, November 2020

Roypow S51105 Lithium Battery Review
Old 05-19-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
Before you buy, consider an Atomic golf cart. They are looking across the street from Sparr
They drive like a car and have all The features of car does including air conditioning heat electric windows back up camera windshield wipers high and low beams and so much more. It’s very quiet and reliable. It can go almost 100 miles
It sort of depends what you intend to use the cart for IMHO. If you golf often, the Atomic is a PIA with it's doors. Plus golfing and getting in and out of AC all the time will make you feel more uncomfortable than just being in the heat and adjusting to the temps.
Closed Thread

Tags
evolution, carts, lithium, golf, 180ah

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.