Evolution 180AH Lithium Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2021, 02:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
There was somebody selling this in The Villages a few years ago. Seemed to be too expensive for what you were getting. You can go on Amazon and buy a solar panel for around $100 today. There are basic and folding versions available. They all output 12v, so you would need to integrate the panel with your specific battery system.

Yes that was me, just sold the first one built back in 2013, it was never plugged into a charger.
Went 50 miles + easy.

With the ranger trojan batteries,

Building another now you need about 250 watts to maintain the charge and I have a controller that prevents over charging

It was hard sell here with all the stinky gas cart folks.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:08 PM

Funny that electric seems to be the future for many. Disposing of batteries, not easy. Even with solar and wind there is not enough electricity produced to sustain this electric movement. Group think surmises that road vehicles consume the vast majority of fossil fuels, not true. Ocean going vessels shipping products consume the most. Buying into this “electric trend” as some sort of antidote to us having a greener and better life is a joke at best.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:01 PM
Default Budfor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
I just had a total duh moment...why would you need gas a gas cart if you just had a roof solar panel in the FL sun on an electric cart? Is there someplace that installs solar panels on electric carts? Why isn't this standard from the manufacturers in 2021? Almost all new RVs have a roof solar panel to charge the house battery to run the fridge. Why are golf carts so behind the times? Who wants to go on shark tank with me?
The solar panel on top will not fit through all of the tunnels!
Old 05-19-2021, 08:10 PM

Top speed?
Old 05-20-2021, 05:49 AM
Default Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619 View Post
We have a basic, old electric golf cart. Is it possible to buy the new lithium batteries for an old cart?
It certainly is possible, but expect a higher price. They have a much higher capacity, require no maintenance, are lighter, and last far longer than the old style lead battery. Lithium-ion Batteries: A Complete Guide - GolfCarts.org
Old 05-20-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhooks View Post
Funny that electric seems to be the future for many. Disposing of batteries, not easy. Even with solar and wind there is not enough electricity produced to sustain this electric movement. Group think surmises that road vehicles consume the vast majority of fossil fuels, not true. Ocean going vessels shipping products consume the most. Buying into this “electric trend” as some sort of antidote to us having a greener and better life is a joke at best.
I agree. This whole electric fad is not better for the environment.

I'm surprised that ocean going vessels use the most fossil fuels. I would think that it would be airplanes. There are so many more planes in the air on a daily basis than there are ships. I would imagine that one ship crossing the ocean would burn more fuel than a plane doing the same trip, but when you consider that there are about 10,000 planes in the air at any given time in the U.S. it seems that as a group they are going to burn more fuel.

But people tend to not consider the energy that it takes to make batteries and how the electricity that charges them is created. And as you you point out the disposal is not environmentally friendly.

I much prefer electric golf carts and I have one here. If I could extend the range that would be perfect. But as far as electric cars go, I see a bit problem with the time that it takes to charge them. If you're on a long trip and go 200 miles before needing a charge, you're going to have to stop for hours to recharge.

I think that if environmentalists were really concerned about air quality we'd see a move to natural gas. It burns more cleanly than gasoline producing a fraction of the pollutants. It is plentiful, current cars can easily be converted and we have infrastructure in place to distribute it. People with natural gas in their homes could add a filling station and current gas station could easily be converted. We have natural gas lines running everywhere in this country. It would be much easier than creating electric charging stations.

And if President Biden's goal of having all electric cars by 2035 comes to fruition, what happens to all of he gasoline cars in existence now? And do they think about people that can't afford to buy a new car?

China is responsible for 30% of the world's air pollution. The U.S. is responsible for 15%. If we cut ours in half it's a small dent.

I prefer electric golf carts but I think that they idea of all electric cars is pure folly.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellomo View Post
The quality of this cart is terrible. I own one and sorry I do. The roof is of such thin plastic it cracked under the weight of the curtain in the back. They had to replace the roof. It also rides like a tank. They will not set the speed above 20mph. Impossible to pass a cart doing 15mph on cart path. There is no attention to detail on this cart.
Did you buy from Villages Discount Golf? I'm curious how long the warrantee work took to be completed... Did you get the big display and how has that held up? --Ruthie
Old 05-20-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddags View Post
We just ordered Evolution 4 seater Plus from STM Golf Carts in Ocala.I did not like how Village Discount Golf Carts does business. When it comes to the Evolution you take what they have, they don't let you customize your cart. They are more of a Yamaha dealer and have only been selling Evolution for about 6 months. Stm has been selling Evolution for 5 years. Evolution comes from the factory with speed up to 25mph but Village Discount turns it down to 20mph.The Evolution also comes with a 2 year warranty but Village Discount tells you 1 but that they warranty the cart for 5 years. What they don't tell you is that you are paying over a $1000 for their extended warranty. Talk to Sam at STM first, it's a family business. Lithium is the future. It's 350lbs lighter than regular batteries and with the 180mah I like the idea of being able to go from one end of The Villages and back as it's getting so big. Also no maintenance and have a 5 year warranty on the battery. STM also can change out regular batteries for Lithium on some carts. The Lithium batteries come with a plug that can go in any outlet, no more heavy charger. The charger is built in.
Thanks for the info. We'll be in Ocala next week so will stop by STM and talk to Sam. How long does it take from ordering to receiving your cart? I like the 110 volt plug as I don't park my cart near a garage wall; we can plug a short extension cord into the garage door motor and drop it from above. --Ruthie
Old 05-20-2021, 09:22 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

How is the ride??
Every electric I ride in has a very stiff ride.
(because of the battery weight)
With the new batteries, has the ride improved??
Old 05-20-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer View Post
You can read my review of Evolution. The 130 AH battery barely gets 45 miles. The 180 AH might get 55-65 miles but there is something basic wrong if that's all it gets.
Thanks, Footer. Yes I had read your review closely before submitting--what you returned is exactly what I am looking to purchase.

I will definitely look into buying after market mirrors. I also was a little put off by the too-simple design of the rear seat connection but the ones I saw did all line up. I am quite short so puffy seats are uncomfortable for me (my current cart has very low-profile [read: hard] seats). I am unsure that I would ever drive 45 miles in one day, let alone 55-65; as it seems to be a concern, it appears that they've changed the standard from 130AH to 180AH. Interesting that you found the ride rough; I went over a deep pothole without hardly noticing it but I'll look for more rough road when I test drive others. --Ruthie
Old 05-20-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
We bought a "loaded" 2-seater last fall. We really love it. It does get up and go, but after a few times, you figure it out. I can't quote a range. I also have a Yamaha gas cart for the longer trips; however, I'm confident the EVolution could get it done as well.
Thanks for the confidence in the 'jump' start. I figured we'd get used to it. We will also have a gas Yamaha at least for the next few years. --Ruthie
Old 05-20-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesienhour View Post
My buddy bought one and loves it so I bought one also. Great cart. Much nicer than my club car and customer service at the dealer is great. Not like cart world! Have the shelf installed and you don’t have to worry about storage.
Did you buy from Villages Discount Golf Carts or elsewhere? I'm glad you and your buddy love your EVolution carts.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron View Post
We have one on order; demand exceeds supply right now. They can adjust the ‘jump’ at the start to make it less noticeable without effecting the top end speed. The 180 Amp Hour battery should last you for a drive anywhere in the Villages and back. We currently have a 120 Amp Hour battery on our EZGO and driven it at top speed for over three hours and still showed a quarter charge on the meter.
Glad to hear they can adjust the 'jump.' Thanks! --Ruthie
Old 05-21-2021, 06:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I agree. This whole electric fad is not better for the environment.

I'm surprised that ocean going vessels use the most fossil fuels. I would think that it would be airplanes. There are so many more planes in the air on a daily basis than there are ships. I would imagine that one ship crossing the ocean would burn more fuel than a plane doing the same trip, but when you consider that there are about 10,000 planes in the air at any given time in the U.S. it seems that as a group they are going to burn more fuel.

But people tend to not consider the energy that it takes to make batteries and how the electricity that charges them is created. And as you you point out the disposal is not environmentally friendly.

I much prefer electric golf carts and I have one here. If I could extend the range that would be perfect. But as far as electric cars go, I see a bit problem with the time that it takes to charge them. If you're on a long trip and go 200 miles before needing a charge, you're going to have to stop for hours to recharge.

I think that if environmentalists were really concerned about air quality we'd see a move to natural gas. It burns more cleanly than gasoline producing a fraction of the pollutants. It is plentiful, current cars can easily be converted and we have infrastructure in place to distribute it. People with natural gas in their homes could add a filling station and current gas station could easily be converted. We have natural gas lines running everywhere in this country. It would be much easier than creating electric charging stations.

And if President Biden's goal of having all electric cars by 2035 comes to fruition, what happens to all of he gasoline cars in existence now? And do they think about people that can't afford to buy a new car?

China is responsible for 30% of the world's air pollution. The U.S. is responsible for 15%. If we cut ours in half it's a small dent.

I prefer electric golf carts but I think that they idea of all electric cars is pure folly.
I guess we will be buying electric cars for the poor and pay for their electricity.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:00 AM

Yes. Most lithium batteries can be installed fairly easily.
Closed Thread

Tags
evolution, carts, lithium, golf, 180ah

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.