Gas cart noise/smell

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Default Gas cart noise/smell

We are considering purchasing a gas cart. However my wife does not like the noise or smell of a gas cart. Are there any carts out there with the capability of reducing one or both situations?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Veteran member
Default Noise, smell

Do you mean other than electric? Not really. I switched from gasoline to electric and haven't looked back.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

go electric
Old 02-01-2016, 03:06 PM

We spent a lot of time going back and forth trying to figure out whether to go gas or electric. The electric is a lot more quiet, but we were pretty sure we would forget to plug it in or check the batteries, etc., so we went with gas. The only time I notice a smell is in the tunnels and I think you are going to get that smell even if you are driving an electric.

Hope this is of some use.

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

They are called electrics. You can have a civil conversation with each other while driving or listen to music. The new ones will take you every place you need to go in TV. We have two......yes, she has her own ParCar and I have my Star. We have electric for the reasons your wife mentioned and it is a lot more enjoyable driving TV when your wife is happy.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paqdkq View Post
We are considering purchasing a gas cart. However my wife does not like the noise or smell of a gas cart. Are there any carts out there with the capability of reducing one or both situations?
They are called electrics. You can carry a conversation while driving without yelling at each other, you can listen to music and enjoy the nature portions of TV quietly. We have two, a ParCar and a Star. We rented gas in the previous years when we rented here, and that made up our minds to investigate electric. The new technology will take you anywhere you need to go in TV. Those that claim distance is an issue don't have a clue. But the number one reason you should consider electric is it will make your wife very happy (quiet and non smelly) and I think that will make your life so much better. In fairness, the new technology in gas carts makes then quieter and less smelly but, the are not zero noisy or zero smelly. As a disclaimer here, everything I said goes away if you buy a used cart.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-02-2016, 08:45 AM

We went back and forth between gas and electric before we decided on gas. We were sure we'd forget to plug it in at night or forget to check the batteries, etc. Gas is noisier, but we decided it was worth the trade-off to be able to just park it and forget it.

The only time I have ever had any odor issues is in the tunnels, and I am sure that would be the same if we were driving an electric car.

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

My wife has an electric cart and loves it. I have a gas cart and I love it. My greatest concern with electric is that I might run out of juice far from home. In fact, I have shaken my head when I've seen electrics "out of juice" along the roads or MMPs. But guess what? Last week both my wife and I forgot to plug her cart in after a busy day covering TV with out-of-town friends. We then drove 10 miles to play golf, golfed 18 holes and then headed back home. We didn't make it. We were then "one of those stuck along the side of an MMP". We called Cart Aide and they were there in 20 minutes, so I and my friend waited, along with our wives for CA to arrive. We chastised ourselves for having been so stupid (which did no good) but it only emphasized to me that *I'm* better off with the greater security of a gas cart.

So that ends my story. Best of luck with your decision. Oh, and BTW, my cart is nearly new and the noise is minimal and I have *never*, do date, had an issue with the smell, and I have a pretty good sniffer (it is also fairly large but still works quite effectively).
Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
My wife has an electric cart and loves it. I have a gas cart and I love it. My greatest concern with electric is that I might run out of juice far from home. In fact, I have shaken my head when I've seen electrics "out of juice" along the roads or MMPs. But guess what? Last week both my wife and I forgot to plug her cart in after a busy day covering TV with out-of-town friends. We then drove 10 miles to play golf, golfed 18 holes and then headed back home. We didn't make it. We were then "one of those stuck along the side of an MMP". We called Cart Aide and they were there in 20 minutes, so I and my friend waited, along with our wives for CA to arrive. We chastised ourselves for having been so stupid (which did no good) but it only emphasized to me that *I'm* better off with the greater security of a gas cart.

So that ends my story. Best of luck with your decision. Oh, and BTW, my cart is nearly new and the noise is minimal and I have *never*, do date, had an issue with the smell, and I have a pretty good sniffer (it is also fairly large but still works quite effectively).

I agree.

Up until last month we had one gas and one electric. Then Bessy didn't make it home a couple of times and several hundred dollars in batteries were the answer. We now have two gas. I like dependable.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My Yamaha EFI (electronic fuel injection ) cart has no smell. I don't know about the earlier carburetor carts.

If you have sound absorbing material on the bottom side of the seat they are pretty quiet. The carts from Carts and Clubs in Ocala come this way and I believe the carts from The Villages Golf Car store may now also. Adding sound absorbing material to a used cart is trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paqdkq View Post
Old 02-02-2016, 12:03 PM

I have a 2105 Yamaha Gas. Exhaust pipe is behind the driver/passenger seat so only time I smell fumes is when I back out of the garage. Fumes in the tunnels are most likely from other carts passing through.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Sage

After a while you don't hear or smell to well. That's something to consider.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:27 PM
Veteran member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
After a while you don't hear or smell to well. That's something to consider.
he means when you drive a gas cart.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

OP, I suggest you drive several different new gas carts before making a decision. The new carts are much quieter and have very little, if any, gasoline smell. Gas or electric boils down to a personal decision---owners of both type tend to be passionate regarding their golf carts. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post

also agree
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, cart, carts, capability, situations, reducing, noise/smell, smell, wife, purchasing, noise

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.