Gas cart not used for 12 months

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2021, 08:36 AM

If it starts in put in fresh gas and ride.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:46 AM

always use gas stabeilizer
Old 03-04-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusb741 View Post
Our Yamaha gas cart hasn't been used for 12 mos.
Is it safe to drive and is there any recommended maintenance required before using it?
Definitly check Tire pressure. For reasons I don't understand tire pressure is hard to maintain in Florida. I check my bicycle pressure once a week and usually have to fill 5 to 10 lbs. I check my motorcycle, car, and golf cart monthly and all need to be "topped off". Im very glad I brought my air compressor down with me when we moved here.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:05 AM

If the gas is Ethanol free, just add 1 to 2 oz. of Seafoam per gallon of gas to the fuel and drive it. Once the seafoam is in the lines and carb or injectors , it will be fine. Top it off with new gas ASAP.
Make sure your tires are at proper pressure. If there is no oil or fluid on the ground below the cart , the oil should be fine for a test drive.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,449 Posts

IMO I would be more concerned about oil. Now if owner just changed it before put it in storage then oil good (whats odds of that??) But, if owner hadn’t changed the oil and it got lot of hours/miles on it I would change it ( it needs changed anyway) Clean proper level oil IMO most important keep engine internal moving parts clean, cool, and lubricated.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgodin View Post
Definitly check Tire pressure. For reasons I don't understand tire pressure is hard to maintain in Florida. I check my bicycle pressure once a week and usually have to fill 5 to 10 lbs. I check my motorcycle, car, and golf cart monthly and all need to be "topped off". Im very glad I brought my air compressor down with me when we moved here.
Tires will loose 1 to 2 pounds month due to temperature and humidity changes, unless you have nitrogen filled tires. As you know and found out you have to check tire pressure one month and do look around before drive off, never know when might pick up nail and cause slow leak?
Old 03-04-2021, 01:03 PM

If you do not use STABIL in your gas it may gum up your carburetor and orher gas line areas
Old 03-04-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusb741 View Post
Our Yamaha gas cart hasn't been used for 12 mos.
Is it safe to drive and is there any recommended maintenance required before using it?
There should be no issue. The battery will need to be charged or it may have become dead. In the future, always use a gas stabilizer if the cart is not going to be used for a month or more.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:28 PM

I have 2014 Yamaha that was left in the garage for 13 mo due to covid. I left it with the battery disconnected. Yesterday, I reconnected the battery and turn on the key and it started right away like it was never left alone.. ALL SYSTEMS GO!
Old 03-04-2021, 08:39 PM

Dust it off
Old 03-05-2021, 06:56 AM

If you run ethanol free fuel (as you should) then no fuel additives are necessary because there will be no separation that take place. You also will not have to worry about fuel system corrosion that comes from ethanol moisture absorption. Pay the little extra and do not run ethanol in your golf cart. Weather you realize it or not it is worth it.
Most of the lawn care companies here in TV run ethanol free fuel as their livelihood depends on it.
You may have to trickle charge your battery and this all depends on battery age and condition. Air your tires up as they will be low. You are good to go.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:36 AM

Gasoline loose its quality within 2 weeks. Therefore I will be using a Engineered Fuel for 4 stroke engines called "Tru Fuel" has a shelf life and good in your fuel tank for 2 years. This fuel has no ethanol which is the cause of gummy carburetors and fuel injectors. This fuel be purchased in Home Depot and Lowes. Make certain you purchase the "4 stroke fuel". Back home I use this fuel in my small 4 stroke outboard motors when I lay them up for the winter. Before the end of the season I stop using gasoline and switch over to tru-fuel the outboard motors actually run better on this fuel. Before I return up north I will let my golf cart gas tank run down, then I will put a gallon of tru-fuel in the tank. Some Villagers recommended leaving a trickle battery charger on the battery while you are gone to maintain the battery voltage???? Not sure if that is safe to leave a battery charger unattended for several months?????
Old 03-07-2021, 08:46 AM

I would not leave the charger connected but make sure to fully charge the battery and then disconnect before leaving it.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
Gasoline loose its quality within 2 weeks. Therefore I will be using a Engineered Fuel for 4 stroke engines called "Tru Fuel" has a shelf life and good in your fuel tank for 2 years. This fuel has no ethanol which is the cause of gummy carburetors and fuel injectors. This fuel be purchased in Home Depot and Lowes. Make certain you purchase the "4 stroke fuel". Back home I use this fuel in my small 4 stroke outboard motors when I lay them up for the winter. Before the end of the season I stop using gasoline and switch over to tru-fuel the outboard motors actually run better on this fuel. Before I return up north I will let my golf cart gas tank run down, then I will put a gallon of tru-fuel in the tank. Some Villagers recommended leaving a trickle battery charger on the battery while you are gone to maintain the battery voltage???? Not sure if that is safe to leave a battery charger unattended for
several months?????
Wow pricey stuff at $40.00 a gallon.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
I have 2014 Yamaha that was left in the garage for 13 mo due to covid. I left it with the battery disconnected. Yesterday, I reconnected the battery and turn on the key and it started right away like it was never left alone.. ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Fuel injected? IMO That’s why? Me, I would of at minimum charged the battery, checked tire pressure and checked condition of oil before driving off? But, that me.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, cart, required, maintenance, recommended

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.