Gas Club car battery dies

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Default Gas Club car battery dies

I have a 2010 gas club car that will suddenly die, it appears to be a charging issue it will restart after an hour.
The battery is new. Is there an easy way to check the charging system on the cart. Any hel would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
I have a 2010 gas club car that will suddenly die, it appears to be a charging issue it will restart after an hour.
The battery is new. Is there an easy way to check the charging system on the cart. Any hel would be appreciated.
You state it will restart after an hour, this hints that you have an overheating condition. Is the engine oil clean and at the proper level? Are all of the electrical connections clean and tight? When this happens again, CAREFULLY, touch the battery terminals, the starter/generator terminals, etc, to see if any of the connections are hot. When you try to start is the entire electrical system dead, or does the engine turn over but not run? If it turns over and does not run, check the fuel system and carburetor, while I have never seen it on small engines, maybe= you have vapor lock in the fuel line?
Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
If you mean that you are driving the cart and after stopping, you mash the pedal and nothing happens, your starter solenoid is probably going bad and that is probably due to a bad voltage regulator. I had this happen on my Club Car. Both parts are easy to replace.

To answer your question, yes, the charging system is easy to test. I keep one of this plugged into my cigarette lighter...The Villages Florida
Old 07-19-2018, 01:24 PM

Get a voltage meter and check battery voltage when not running. Voltage about 12-13 volts. Put cart in service mode and check voltage at battery while running. You should see higher voltage about 14-15 volts while running. I have a 2008 Club Car Precedent and have replaced the voltage regulator 3 times. It’s a plug-in part replacement for about $30. If the voltage regulator fails, it will either charge to high voltage or not charge at all.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:24 PM

I have Willie’s golf cart coming Monday morning, his reviews seem pretty good I explained to him when I’m at a stop and it backfired the engine would shut down and he seems to think that it’s probably a carburetor problem, We didn’t have any of these golf carts when I was growing up and living in Boston so I’m not gonna try to figure them out I might as well just call a professional and get it done.Thank you all for your replies
Old 07-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:

When you say it will start in hour does the engine turn over after it dies? I'd the battery is fully charged I would think the engine would run off the battery even if the charging system not charging. Now it the battery dead when it dies then it shouldn't turn over the engine till it's charged up. Now I guessing it's either fuel starvation problem or intermittent ignition problem? Willie will probably figure it quickly? Please Post back when you find out the problem let us know what it was?
Old 07-23-2018, 06:49 PM

The cart is going dead. Let it sit, battery recovers and will run, its a new battery. If you do have a precedent model, you don't want to go back to the original part. Those of us in the business know its not good. As commented above, you shouldn't be replacing them like candy
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, charging, car, club, battery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.