gas or electric? the free market decided

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Platinum member
Default gas or electric? the free market decided

I've been looking for golf carts. The push to buy gas is very evident. Seems people have range anxiety. Apparently, that's what most people are buying so many of the stores only bring electric up if specifically asked.

I want to friendly to the environment but it's hard to put a lot into an electric cart which apparently will be worth less than a gas one should I want to trade it in sometime. Carts and Clubs has only gas on the showroom but said it would get an electric if that's what one wanted.

In fact, I don't think I saw any new electric carts were displayed in any of the places I went.

Is there really hope for solar power to help electric carts?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Sage
Default Just let it go Alan... just let it go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I've been looking for golf carts. The push to buy gas is very evident. Seems people have range anxiety. Apparently, that's what most people are buying so many of the stores only bring electric up if specifically asked.

I want to friendly to the environment but it's hard to put a lot into an electric cart which apparently will be worth less than a gas one should I want to trade it in sometime. Carts and Clubs has only gas on the showroom but said it would get an electric if that's what one wanted.

In fact, I don't think I saw any new electric carts were displayed in any of the places I went.

Darn it I cannot let it go....

Did you try any dealers that did not sell Yamaha? How about EZGO, Par Car or Tomberline.....they all gas?

No doubt, solar is interesting, along with battery technology improvements, but to be honest, electric carts do not need any help. Except maybe to reduce the misinformation that prevails on this site.....
Old 10-12-2013, 05:27 PM

We have a 2006 Par Car, Electric, love it. We do not like smelling fumes and talking over the gas motor. Our next cart will definitely be another electric - 70-80 mile range is good for us!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:01 PM

Gas carts are good for snowbirds since extended storage periods are hard on the batteries.

Other than that, I can think of no reason for choosing gas over electric.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTexan View Post
Gas carts are good for snowbirds since extended storage periods are hard on the batteries.

Other than that, I can think of no reason for choosing gas over electric.
Range

Reliability

Resale value

Et al, ad infinitum.............

Old 10-12-2013, 11:06 PM

To me, the smell of gas carts is sickening. It seems there are more of them lately. Or maybe they just smell worse. I would love to see TV ban them.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Range 50-60 miles is enough for mr

Reliability. same

Resale value.

Et al, ad infinitum.............

Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum member

and loud....I know people said they were loud but I didn't realize how loud until I drove one....I went to EZ Go, Yamaha, Grandpa and Grandmas....several other places and only EZ Go asked if I was looking for electric or gas.....everyone else said they are pretty much just selling gas carts
Old 10-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Sage

I have had both types and currently have a gas cart. My first electric cart had 8 6-volt batteries and we never had range anxiety. But SWMBO didn't like the climb in and out of the cart so we got another electric with 6 8-volt batteries. Range became a problem eventually so we got new batteries, but it didn't get much better. LSL to Brownwood was scary as the pack voltage kept dropping to the point we thought we might not get home. Then there was the problem that the cart was not available while it was being charged. So, we went with gas.

My mom has an electric cart with 6 8-volt batteries and a Curtis cab. Her range is poor, so that even a LSL to Colony results in a low battery warning on the way back. I don't know if it's just a bad digital gauge or if the pack is really depleted. I need to put a voltmeter on it when it says trouble.

Yes, gas is noisier. Yes, there is the exhaust, although the fuel injection is supposed to reduce that somewhat. But it is nice to be able to just jump in the cart and go. If the gauge shows 1/4 tank, we fill it up.

If you go electric, my advice would be to go with 8 6-volt batteries. The increased range and reduced anxiety is well worth it. Otherwise, go gas.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTexan View Post
...I can think of no reason for choosing gas over electric.
I'm not hard core either way, but how about range. And then there's range.

And did I mention...range!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I was in the golf business for 35 years and taking care of golf cart fleets was a part of my job.
I also have a friend that is president of a Club Car dealership. I've also attended many seminars put on by the PGA and I can tell you that the free market will tell you that electric are far more popular than gas.

You have to remember that the majority of golf carts sold nationwide are in fleets intended for use on a golf course. When Club Car came out with the first 48 volt electric system it all but put gas carts out of business. Number of rounds per charge was a big concern with golf courses and some, especially hilly courses, could not get more then one round out of the old 36 volt carts. The 48 volt Club Car would go two plus rounds and that was more than enough for golf course owners.

Having said that, here in the Villages is a bit of a different story. People are concerned with range and the 30 miles or so that an electric Club Car will get is not enough for some people. If that's the case, you have two options, buy a gas cart or modify your electric cart to get more hours of run time.

Yamaha is the biggest dealer here by far. They have three locations within the Villages. Yamaha makes the best gas golf cart on the market. Club Car, by everything that I learned, makes the best electric. The Club Car dealer is not located in the Villages. Yamaha dealers of course push gas carts and something like 90% of what they sell are gas carts. They will sell you an electric cart, as Club Car will sell you a gas cart, but make no mistake, the meat of their business is in the carts in which they specialize.

Now some people say you can go out and by a Columbia Par Car who advertises that you can get 80 miles on a single charge. You have to remember that claim is made based on a promotional stunt that they conducted a while ago where they ran a cart under absolute ideal conditions and did run 80 miles. They also gave that cart away as a promotion and changed the batteries because the batteries in that cart were destroyed. I think that pretty much any electric cart will do the same if the test is run the same way. Club Car salesmen claim that their basic D/S cart with the standard six 8 volt battery configuration will go 50 miles on a charge. They're probably right.

You can change the batteries in a 48 volt electric cart to eight 6 volt batteries and extend your miles significantly. There are other modifications that can be done to increase both speed and range. In addition there are some companies currently selling solar panels for the roof of the cart which will increase range a small amount. I would suspect that those panels will be improved in the future to add significantly to range.

Electric carts have fewer moving parts and require less maintenance. As gas carts age they tend to have more problems than electrics. This is not a problem of course, if you intend to trade your cart in every few years for a new one.

I dealt with both gas and electric carts in my career and as you can probably guess, I prefer electric. But if you want to have unlimited range a gas cart might be the right choice for you in this particular application.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Golf Carts View Post
I believe so

many have asked where is it.

Well getting side tracked with two big projects on my home, it's back on the top of my short list to get two on the road.

The pics below were taken in June to show it is fact a reality.

In Brownwood after a 46 mile test run, battery bank still showed 45% reserve left.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

This one has not been plugged into a charger in several years.

This is not a fancy cart it is the proto type, bare bones, it is running on 4 not 6 batteries.

Four 12V AGM (glass matt batteries)

I have two carts the body on one for paint the other is getting a full body replacement.

I have tested one at 73 miles already.

So when will these be available to the general public and what will the cost be?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

do I understand correctly that the solar panels do not keep the batteries topped off as the cart is in use but only charges when not in use???

This is what I was told by a friend who had the panels on his cart.

I would have thought the charging would be constant as long as the appropriate light level was on the panels...that is me guesstimating how they could work?

btk
Old 10-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I have been told that a solar panel works better if a cart owner installs lithium batteries.

I have a Sun Catcher Solar Panel which was installed a number of years ago. I suspect that I get some trickle down benefit but not what I was promised. Then again I never really tested it for distance.

I only use my golf cart for golf. I normally travel no more that 9 miles out play 9 holes of golf and return home. I occasionally play 18 holes of golf again with no problem. My analog voltage meter registers on the white when I return home. My trip home is uneventful meaning I feel no loss of power. My batteries are three years old.

I have 6-8 volt batteries but prefer 8-6 volts but my repair guy said he would have to modify my Precedent to fit all 8. My repair guy prefers the Club Car DS over any other cart.

I have driven other brand name carts and prefer the Club Car. I just don't like the local dealer. so if I buy again it will be a trip to Leesburg or Ocala or both
Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post

Hi Bonnievie,
That's interesting. Before TV crossed 466, I suspect the market here, as in most places, was dominated by electric carts. Even when TV grew down to 466a, electric carts remained a strongly popular choice for new buyers. Now that TV extends all the way down to Hwy 44, it's not surprising if gas now dominates the new cart market among Villagers.

Even so, if you prefer an electric cart and range isn't an issue for you, why not go with what you want? I'm sure there will still be a market for used electric carts when you're ready to trade.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.