Gas vs Electric

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I was considering changing from electric to gas. I asked the salesman at the Villages Golf Cart Store if 2015 gas carts still smell.
He said to me (as a sales pitch), "Don't worry about the gas fumes, it's only the people in back of you that will smell them".
I have always thought that a reasonable approach would be that gas carts should have to have the exhaust routed through the cab first before the rest of us get to enjoy it <just kidding>

I have no idea what you should buy, talking to someone like Frank7 makes a lot of sense. The hardest part of knowing is your true requirements... I have had electric always and never even come close to an issue with range, but that is just me and how we use the cart...

Why would someone lift a cart? Pretty simple stuff really. I wanted 205-65-10 tires on my carts for looks and they do not fit without one. I love the way my cart looks and have yet to flip over

The Villages Florida
Old 03-01-2015, 03:07 PM

That's a great looking cart. Thanks for the reason why they're lifted.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
That's a great looking cart. Thanks for the reason why they're lifted.
Thanks for the compliment on the cart. You are welcome w.r.t. the lift, but to be clear, that is why MINE is lifted. Many carts can fit the 205-65-10 tires. My cart is a 2002 Club Car and the front tires would rub without some kind of lift.

IMO gas is often the easy choice for anyone with range anxiety. I would never talk someone out of a gas cart, but I sure wish the manufacturers would put some effort into the exhaust and noise.

It is not a money maker for them.

Good luck in your search. The worst thing you can do is get the "wrong" electric cart and be disappointed. Not all electric carts have the same range. This is where someone like Frank can be a great help.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Sage

gas carts smell.

The folks that say they don't just lost their sense of smell.

You can smell when in them or behind.

Yes they are noisy also!!!!

But if don't care about your carbon footprint or the grandkids then by all means get gas.

Range...OMG, tired of hearing that one, any elec can go 40-50, talk to Frank he has one that goes more.

Do you really think you can even sit in one that long?

Mine with solar goes 72+

Soon better batteries will be on the market and 100 miles is within reach.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have a 2014 Yamaha EFI (electronic fuel injection) gas cart and I would say any exhaust smell is pretty minimal. We have never had a carburetor-based golf cart. There isn't any gas smell that I can detect - very much like a car in that regard, I don't smell gas with cars. Regarding noise, our cart came from Carts and Clubs in Ocala and they put sound deadening material around the engine. I was skeptical at first about how effective it would be. After having been in Yamaha carts from The Villages Golf Cart store I would say that it is very effective as our cart is definitely quieter. Friends who have been in our cart have also commented that it is quieter than their Yamaha. Regardless, they all quiet down at cruising speed - most of the noise is during acceleration. We get about 48 miles per gallon. We put gas in it about every 3 weeks. It meets our needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
We recently bought a 2015 Yamaha EFI gas cart from The Villages Golf Cars at Brownwood and are really pleased with it. It is quieter, more responsive and doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as the older carbureted models. Our insurance runs $128 per year for all the usual coverages and 250/500 liability and uninsured motorist. I would suggest taking different models for an extended test drive. The Villages Golf Cars will let you take one for a 24 hour period, at no charge.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
gas carts smell.

The folks that say they don't just lost their sense of smell.

You can smell when in them or behind.

Yes they are noisy also!!!!

But if don't care about your carbon footprint or the grandkids then by all means get gas.

Range...OMG, tired of hearing that one, any elec can go 40-50, talk to Frank he has one that goes more.

Do you really think you can even sit in one that long?

Mine with solar goes 72+

Soon better batteries will be on the market and 100 miles is within reach.
Considering YOU SELL solar panels for electric carts, I can see why you are always putting down gas carts.

Electricity does leave a carbon footprint, but the way you talk, it doesn't count, but you do have to plug in the batteries of your electric cart regularly to charge them. So what about that "carbon footprint for the grandkids??

Last edited by obxgal; 03-01-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-01-2015, 09:14 PM

I Rented a place last February, full time now. The rental place had the use of an electric golf cart, this cart had a reliable range of about 30 miles, and no one could bring me a can of Watts, damn! I then moved here and bought a fuel injected cart. Shortly after I bought it I was asked why I would have bought a gas powered, as you could always smell gas fumes in the tunnels, I told them that they were right I could always smell gas fumes in the tunnels, and that was when I was using the electric. Gas cart does not smell any worse and I have a range of 200+ miles and if I get really stupid and run out of gas I can bring a can of gas and get home.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Considering YOU SELL solar panels for electric carts, I can see why you are always putting down gas carts.
I think you see very little, your statement is clearly not true.
I do NOT SELL solar!

Quote:
Electricity does leave a carbon footprint, but the way you talk, it doesn't count, but you do have to plug in the batteries of your electric cart regularly to charge them. So what about that "carbon footprint for the grandkids??
Elec has a fraction of the footprint of gas. Lead is totally recyclable!

I do not need to plug my cart in at all, we are in the sunshine state.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRichm369 View Post
this cart had a reliable range of about 30 miles,
then there was something wrong with it

Quote:
I get really stupid and run out of gas I can bring a can of gas and get home.
just like reading gas gauge a good elec cart should have digital volt gauge which tells you exactly what your range is
rather than a colored red/yellow/green idiot gauge.

I've yet to run out of power
Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Gold member

I thought you sold them, sorry about that. I know you have solar panels on your cart, but most do not. Electricity also leaves a carbon footprint. Maybe not in your case but in most. ;o)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.